Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #1

Weboost Install Help

Hello!

I'm installing a WeBoost Drive Reach RV in our 1993 Sportsmobile. I'd like to wire this with a switch so that it can be turned off while it's not in use in order to reduce battery drain.

So, my two questions:

1. Can I power this off of the back of a USB outlet that I already have installed? This would be really convenient as the USB outlet is right next to where I'll mount the WeBoost.

2. If so, where in the wiring run would I place the switch?

Thanks for any help.....I'm obviously clueless here....

BB

BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Is your USB socket active with the key out of the ignition? If the socket isn't active without the key in the Accessory or Run position, no switch is needed.

That said, a lot depends on how power hungry the WeBoost is, and whatever you have plugged into the USB outlet. If I'm not mistaken, most sockets can supply about 8-10 amps.

Herb
Old 05-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Is your USB socket active with the key out of the ignition? If the socket isn't active without the key in the Accessory or Run position, no switch is needed.

That said, a lot depends on how power hungry the WeBoost is, and whatever you have plugged into the USB outlet. If I'm not mistaken, most sockets can supply about 8-10 amps.

Herb
The USB outlet is always active and powered by the house battery.

BB
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #4

If its as simple as powering on/off a USB port, I'd run a new circuit from my 12v house battery that is switched so I can turn it on/off.

Of you can branch off a circuit you already have and switch it. USB doesn't draw a ton of Amps (normally) so you shouldn't have a problem with overloading anything.
spazegun2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #5

All good suggestions by the members. When I wired mine I used a switch that lights up so I don’t forget and leave it on.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:11 PM   #6

Garage
My WeBoost came with a 12V plug as an option. I have a 12V outlet at my AV center where I plug in the booster. The 12V plug on the WeBoost has a switch with light so you know when it is on. The 12V is powered from the house batteries. I have an Omni-directional Wilson 4G NMO Antenna mounted to the roof that attaches to the WeBoost. We put one of our cellphones on the “candy” bar antenna and make it a hot spot that powers WiFi throughout the van and the “patio.” You could convert your USB port to a 12V socket and you would be good to go.
https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wil...supply-859913/
Attached Thumbnails
D1930BC3-869E-464C-B6DD-B85C709229A9.jpeg  

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:01 AM   #7

My Wilson amplifier (same as Weboost) has the same 12v plug with lighted on-off switch. I added a 12v outlet (wired to house batteries) to the side of the cabinet behind the driver’s seat and mounted the amp there. An easy run for the antenna up and out the driver’s door and to the roof, and I can easily take the antenna in/off and store it inside.

For the poster that asked about an ignition-switched outlet, I thought of doing that but wanted to be able to use the amp when parked and camped, too, without having to turn the van power on. There have only been a few times where I’ve forgotten to turn off the 12v plug, as the built-in light is pretty obvious.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #8

My Weboost was installed by Sportsmobile and they wired the DC to DC converter directly to the 12 volt panel. This converter reduces the 12 volt power to the 5 volt power required by the Weboost. It comes with their hardwire kit.

I too wanted to be able to turn off my Weboost so I wired a simple toggle switch inline before the DC to DC converter. Now I can just flip the toggle to turn off power to the converter and hence the Weboost.
grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1471.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	39774
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1472.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	39775
Here’s how I have my booster mounted. Directly behind the drivers seat. I added a 12v outlet there.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:52 PM   #10

I also installed a Drive Reach RV”Extreme”, I used the 12V from a convenient 12V plug, and installed a rocker switch next to the water pump switch, turned out pretty clean
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote