Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Site Team

Well that was easy!

While driving home from work yesterday afternoon listening to Sirius radio, my stereo gave a quick burst of static, the display went dark and the music stopped. Hardly the end of the world, but it is also the display for my nav system and my backup camera.

Checked the factory Ford fuses that had anything to do with the radio (wow, those are a pain to get to, not to mention to get out of the fuse holder) and they tested fine. Also checked all "known" SMB fuses which were fine. BTW, there are fuses all over the place. One day I really need to map them so I can find the right one quickly!

Fired off a quick e-mail to Rob at Integrated Audio who got back to me within an hour or two and suggested I do a soft reset on the head unit. Like a lot of electronics, there's a small hole on the front of the unit just the right size for the end of a paperclip. Five seconds later, the system was back online. I had to reconfigure the automatic video switching (backup camera), but other than that, and the clock, everything is fully operational.

The way the system "shut down" I was sure it was a hard failure, but it goes to show you try the simple fixes first.

Herb

Old 04-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #2

Herb, the same thing happened to me as I was driving north to Austin. I attributed losing my Sirius connection to the storm that had lowered itself on the Gulf coast. After hours of wild winds, the rain finally came and it was something. Unrelenting rain that reached biblical proportions. I stopped for diesel and when I nosed the van out from under the gas station overhang, a blanket of water hit the windshield: no more radio. Unbelievably, it was raining mud! All traffic stopped--no one could see longer than the few moments that windshield wiper fluid would allow. I stopped and was happy I could hole up in the van until it was over, but no radio was a pain.
Later in the week, Rob told me via e-mail about the reset on my radio and, hurrah, Sirius again.
I was grateful since the audio place SMB Austin uses offered to trouble shoot the radio taking one or two days of $60/hour.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Site Team

Joanna,

I don't know if it was intentional, or just one of those magical, accidental events, but your signature is interesting and VERY true. "SMB $x$".

Herb
Old 04-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #4

Completely intentional and, unfortunately, I've got the loan to prove it.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:33 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
What radio / rear view / nav do you have?

My wife was looking at rear view cameras and I was looking for a new stereo. Just wondering - what unit do you have and do you like it?

Joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #6

Joe, I'm in California without my van at the moment, so I can't recall the brand of the radio, but I remember talking to Rob in Fresno about what I wanted, namely a receiver with satellite capabilities, decent speakers, no blue tooth (no cell phone) and just a slight bump in quality and price. It seemed like a futile waste of money to try to create an audiophile's listening experience in the same space as a diesel engine.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #7

Stereo/Camera

Jirray,
Check out the Kenwood and Pioneer Radios and accessories I have both brands and have come to prefer the Kenwood system , The Camera has better light gathering quality's and a much sharper image . You would also like the Bluetooth capability of the Kenwood beter than the Pioneer unit .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #8

Stereo/Camera

Joanna,
With a properly installed system you will not realize that you are in a diesel , and this is coming from a person that enjoys multiple venues in music .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna
Joe, I'm in California without my van at the moment, so I can't recall the brand of the radio, but I remember talking to Rob in Fresno about what I wanted, namely a receiver with satellite capabilities, decent speakers, no blue tooth (no cell phone) and just a slight bump in quality and price. It seemed like a futile waste of money to try to create an audiophile's listening experience in the same space as a diesel engine.
I completely agree, but at the same time I'd rather listen to a loud, qualilty audio system, rather than a loud diesel.

Herb
Old 05-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #10

Greggde, really? I find it so hard to believe. If I could test drive something like you describe, maybe I would spring for a beefier system.

Herb, I'm with you on this; it's just listening to the BOTH of them is a challenge. I try to keep the RPM's down and something engrossing coming through the sound system. Also, since I'm new to the diesel experience, I'm still paying close attention to the engine, the transmission, everything. It's like patting your head while rubbing your stomach.