Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #21

I don't expect the 1.5 amp charger could have put much of a dent into that battery in that amount of time. The good news is that you at least saw some voltage on the terminals. The zero volts you were reported earlier could have been a sign of a open cell.

You are very close to a shorted cell voltage, but I would give it some more time. If you get it up high enough you may try hooking it back up to your progressive charger (it will be faster) The Progressive charger does have a equalize mode (although it really is not a traditional equalize charge) Typically equalizing was done on flooded lead acid batteries to prevent stratification (acid in the electrolyte separates from the water and settles to the bottom of the battery causing damage to the bottom area of the battery plates). Some AGM batteries such as Lifeline will now call it a conditioning charge. Typically battery manufactures will specify the Absorption , float and equalize or conditioning voltage levels. To preform a equalizing charge you must complete a full charge on your battery first.

After just charging your batteries you will see a phenomenon called surface charge, causing the battery voltage to be higher than normal. You can eliminate any surface charge by one of the following methods.
  1. . Allow the battery to sit for six hours with no load or charger connected, or...
  2. Apply a 25 amp load for three minutes and wait five minutes, or...
  3. With a battery load tester, apply a 150 amp load for 10-15 seconds.

see 12 volt side of life part 1
12 Volt side of life part 2

good luck
-greg

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #22

Thanks, Greg!

I have been checking the voltage periodically during the day and it's continuing to climb, so I'm going to let it charge overnight and probably all day tomorrow and see where we get. It's at about 11.4 now after less than 12 hours of charging using the little 1.5 amp unit (which is what I have that is a true 'charger' and not a 'tender').

If it still looks promising tomorrow, will put the battery back in the rig and try the built-in charger and see how that goes.

Great information from everyone - much appreciated!

Pete
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:13 AM   #23
Site Team

Garage
I would just replace the battery and have a good baseline on a new vehicle you. If plan to run a fridge or anything that requires a solid source of power it would be piece of mind at best and yes do check to see how smb attached the ground to that battery. Yes mine had carpet and undercoating under the washers so it still is amazing it worked for as long as it did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry View Post
I would just replace the battery and have a good baseline on a new vehicle you. If plan to run a fridge or anything that requires a solid source of power it would be piece of mind at best and yes do check to see how smb attached the ground to that battery. Yes mine had carpet and undercoating under the washers so it still is amazing it worked for as long as it did.
That's my inclination. I don't have a lot of faith in a nine year old battery, so I think I'm going to replace it. I'm confused by the Batteries+Bulbs website - folks on here say they have a Duracell Group 4D AGM and they're listed as a Lifeline dealer, but all that appears on their website after a "Group 4D" search is some off brand AGM. They'd be the preferred source, since they have a store here in Reno and will take the 130 pounds of old battery off my hands, but I'm loath to put some crap battery in, given the difficulty of removal.

The SMB installation is kind of curious. There's huge, high-quality welding cable running from the battery to an area over the rear driver's side wheelwell (alongside the positive cable). It comes into a hanging garment cabinet and then reduces to about an 8 gauge cable, which connects to a ground block/busbar that grounds to a stud through the fender well. It's a huge battery and the cable is huge also, but the potential loads on the battery and cable are minimal - lighting and a fan. It's a little puzzling, but better to err on the side of overcapacity than make things too small.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbansen View Post
It's a huge battery and the cable is huge also, but the potential loads on the battery and cable are minimal - lighting and a fan. It's a little puzzling, but better to err on the side of overcapacity than make things too small.
Are you planning on installing an inverter, microwave or electric water heater? Those are all high loads, even on a 4D battery.

Do you have a breaker located close to the house battery in the big cable?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Are you planning on installing an inverter, microwave or electric water heater? Those are all high loads, even on a 4D battery.
No - the 4D is part of a SMB buildup for the folks I bought the Sprinter from. There are a couple of fluorescent overhead lights, three reading lights and an exterior light. I'm going to convert all of those to more modern LED fixtures and add a 12 volt refrigerator and that'll be about it - we're interested in a simple, 'dry-camper' build. I'll put a solar panel on the roof to maintain the battery and help run the fridge when we're parked, but no large load appliances are planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Do you have a breaker located close to the house battery in the big cable?
No. Nothing but cable between the battery and the Blue Seas 7260. There is a small circuit breaker in the feed for the fuse block (at least something that looks like a circuit breaker to me - I'll get a picture), but no breaker on the main line.

BTW - I checked the battery voltage this morning after charging now for 24 hours with the little 1.5 amp charger: 11.48 volts. I connected the battery cable temporarily and voila - the lights work and the combiner button on the dash activates the 7260. The Progressive Dynamics charger did not come on, which makes me wonder about it. The little green light on the "Charge Wizard" remote thing illuminated, but no joy from the charger. Tried checking the output voltage, but got only the battery voltage, not the 13.6 volts Progressive says I should be seeing, but I did NOT disconnect the output cable as they instruct, so the test should not be considered conclusive.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage
Is the converter/charger getting AC power? Maybe it tripped off. I'd look for a reset if you haven't yet. I had my van in for repair and forgot to turn off the fridge. I asked them to turn it off but 9 days later found the house batteries at below 9 volts. Took 3-4 days at a high amp setting to bring them back. Did an amp check after and they were OK. I don't know if you'll get good results being the battery was so low.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Is the converter/charger getting AC power? Maybe it tripped off. I'd look for a reset if you haven't yet. I had my van in for repair and forgot to turn off the fridge. I asked them to turn it off but 9 days later found the house batteries at below 9 volts. Took 3-4 days at a high amp setting to bring them back. Did an amp check after and they were OK. I don't know if you'll get good results being the battery was so low.
I've been trying to download a manual for the charger, but they don't seem to have one. There is certainly power to the AC cable, but if there is a fuse/breaker on the AC side, I have not discovered it yet. The three 25 amp battery protection fuses are all good. The Progressive Dynamics site makes a reference to an AC circuit breaker, but I think that means the circuit supplying the outlet to which you have connected the charger, not something on the charger.

I may pull the charger out of the van and test it on the workbench just to rule out any issue with it.

I'm thinking after 3-4 days on my little charger, the battery will be back up to operating voltage, but how much longevity can be expected from it is the unknown.

Pete
Old 09-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #29

I just looked at the Magna Power 4d AGM that Batteries n Bulbs is selling. I'm seeing $476 bucks. I've been told that an AGM typically only gives you about 10% more reserve than a comparable lead acid. Someone here will chime in on whether not that's right. The question is, do you really need an AGM? I bought a 4d for my van from Batteries and Bulbs recently which is doing an amazing job of just what you say your needs are. LED lights, chargers, DC fridge. No complaints here on the lead acid and I paid less than $200.

Either way, I wouldn't trust this 9 year old battery. Just replace it with something and move on.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:02 PM   #30
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I wouldn't trust this 9 year old battery. Just replace it with something and move on.

Yep use it for the core charge. Just make sure the system is in working condition as well.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote