Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #1

What's the Difference?

I'm ordering my new SM but I need to know if the "battery monitor" option is worth the cost compared to the std meter? What's the Difference? (I'm not going to get solar)

Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #2

Re: What's the Difference?

I think the monitor (Magnum ME-BMK Battery Monitor Kit ... I think this is it) would be worth it. I see SMB charges $318. The unit on-line (if it's the same one) is about $150, but installation could be tricky and, to me, would be worth the extra $150 or so that SMB wants ... I would love to have one, but would need someone to install it.

One questions would be how it works if you have 2 house batteries?

Salivan
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

I wasn't aware there is a standard meter. If you're talking about the little handheld meter that just plugs into the 12 socket, there is a big difference between those and something like the Xantrex battery monitor (XBM). If you install a high end inverter, many of them come with a control panel that has a very accurate meter. Even though I have that type of inverter, I still have a Xantrex Link-10 battery monitor and suggest the XBM (or similar) are worth looking into.

>Shows current as well as voltage. Having the ability to monitor current is a great tool.
>Helps to make sure the voltage doesn't drop too low (some have alarms)
>Some have temp probes to mount on the battery that monitor charging in hot weather.
>They act as a fuel gauge for the batteries. Gives you an idea how much energy is left.
>They can help in trouble shooting a problem.

Will the standard plug in work...sure. Don't let the AGM batteries drop below a resting voltage of 12.2 and charge them up the next day whenever possible.
A better volt meter could be added at a later date for a bit higher price.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by salivan
I think the monitor (Magnum ME-BMK Battery Monitor Kit ... I think this is it) would be worth it. I see SMB charges $318. The unit on-line (if it's the same one) is about $150, but installation could be tricky and, to me, would be worth the extra $150 or so that SMB wants ... I would love to have one, but would need someone to install it.

One questions would be how it works if you have 2 house batteries?

Salivan
To monitor both chassis and house batteries would require a switch or a dual battery monitor…many boats have them.

Twin or multiple battery systems are bussed together as a rule so the monitor see them a single large battery.
This is worth a read:
About RV battery monitors

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote