Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #1

Where is fuse for Solar panel to controller?

Sportsmobile offices are closed till 5/4. Does anyone with solar on a Sprinter with a pop top know where they hid the Zamp Solar recommended 40A fuse? Trying not to pull apart more than I have to..... Thanks, -Lance

plarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
On my older Ford it's under the trip fabric that covers the lift mechanism.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:02 PM   #3

Thank you - I will keep peeling the onion
Old 04-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #4

No fuse - shame on you Sportsmobile....something else to do now....adding it to the list
Old 04-06-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarkin View Post
No fuse - shame on you Sportsmobile....something else to do now....adding it to the list

Don't assume that SMB puts the fuse in the same location every time. It varies by SMB location, it varies by year, it varies by installer, it varies by what the installer had for dinner the night before. It's a bad game of hide and seek. In my opinion, every build should include a list of fuses, their location and their capacity. Oh, and the fuses should all be readily accessible.

Herb
Old 04-06-2020, 11:31 PM   #6

In the wide photo that I posted about BMK questions, my fuse is in the device that has the yellow square in the bottom of the picture. It took me forever to find it.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...2&d=1586059013
Klompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:49 AM   #7

What size fuse is it? That does not appear to be between the solar panel/s and the Solar charge controller that Zamp Solar recommends. I have the same fuse box with a position labelled Solar that has nothing cabled to it and a burnt out 30A fuse. Calling Zamp Solar tomorrow since I missed then today - forgot w are back on Pacific time!!
-Lance
Old 04-07-2020, 08:00 AM   #8

Our fixed high-top 2017 Sprinter has the solar fuses dangling in the back of an overhead cabinet adjacent to where the controller is mounted, totally separate from the primary fuse box. Keep looking in unusual places, but especially anything just one or two panels away from the controller. I can check the fuse size and attach a picture later today if that might help.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:02 PM   #9

I called Zamp tech support to check out what I was seeing on my controller when I added a second panel in parallel. They were clueless, and said they thought I had reversed polarity on the second panel. So I switched my polarity and instantly had a loud pop and a dead system. I checked first for a fuse before the controller, but there is none. The only fuse I found was in the unit thsst I mentioned. I replaced it with the same size (from memory it is 25 amps).
Klompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #10

Whoops, ignore my comment in post #8. I mis-remembered, the fuses dangling in the overhead cabinet are for the attic fans. The solar fuse is in a mini-fuse-box identical to the one in Klompen's picture, along with the fuse for the Espar D-5, in the same compartment under our dinette as the inverter-charger. It's labeled as a 30A fuse.

Quote:
nothing cabled to it and a burnt out 30A fuse
Are you the original owner? How would it burn out if nothing is cabled to it? That's highly suspicious.

Quote:
they thought I had reversed polarity
That's probably their default answer to all tech support questions. Zamp is notorious for taking an industry-standard plug and swapping the leads to make it just ever so slightly harder to switch to a competitor.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote