Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Who makes that type compressor? Most I've searched seem to fit the F-Series only.

Co2 or nitrogen carried in a safe (steel) bottle with proper regulator is a great idea for quick shots of air when needed.
I am in the process of making the setup. I've built several over the years for other vehicles so my r&d is mostly done. Room is always a concern. I expect to have it completed by the end of July.

CO2 is an excellent method for airing up tires in the 35" and larger sizes. Most of the tanks are aluminum and when treated properly are very safe. We filled 27 35" and 37" tires from 14psi to 40psi with a single 15lb tank and one charge.

Scott

REDOVAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I have the dual compressor ARB unit still sitting in the box.....planning on mounting it inside somewhere with a small tank.....can't bear to think of that shiny new compressor getting grungy.......
I didn't like that either, but for me the rubber hit the road when I found out how noisy they are. No way I would want that inside the cabin. Also, mine didn't get very dirty where it is. I never submerged it but it's probably made for that. As Redoval said his has lived. In hindsight, for noise reasons, the perfect location for me was where I mounted mine, far away from the passengers outside at the rear.

I think a York (or similar) engine mounted compressor is still the hot set up, but I haven't seen anyone stuff one into a van. Engine mounted compressors are quiet, or at least no more noisy than the diesel engines they're mounted to usually. I would love to experiment with one someday.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:25 AM   #13

Garage
Once you've run a belt driven compressor there is no going back. I run one in my air bagged Ranger show truck and it fills the 3 gallon tank from about 100 to 200 psi in less than 20 seconds with nearly no discernible noise. My sister has one on her truck and she runs 300 psi in the air tank every day with no issues either. I've been running the 12v Air Zenith compressor on the vans for a few years now and, in comparison, they are a joke in terms of performance and ambient noise interruption.

Scott
REDOVAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
I hate waiting for air to fill up tires.

Scott
I don't mind shutting down to air up tires for a while, although I usually have little to no time limits. And it gives me a chance to talk with the jeep folks, they always have questions.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote