Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #1

Garage
Where to connect winch positive

I am installing a smittybilt winch on front and am trying to figure out where to connect the positive. I ran the wires to the batteries under the cargo doors, but don’t want to disassemble the positive post outside the battery boxes without checking. I started to unscrew the large post (see photo), but wasn’t sure that is the place to connect or how the post works. So, can I unscrew the large post without danger of screwing something up and attach the positive for the winch there?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1056.jpg  

Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I have my winch wired up to my starting battery, both pos/neg connected right to the posts. No problem removing your post to add the winch cables, although I’m not sure if there’s a preference or advantage/disadvantage to wiring it up to your house battery vs. the starting battery. Either way, always run the van when winching.....here’s a thread on the subject

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ery-23590.html
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks REF, also was wondering about that main post. Do I need to take off the bracket or just unscrew the large bolt holding it all in? Is there a diagram of the structure of that pist in the photo?
Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #4

Garage
Belize,
I’m just in the process of finalizing my winch install on a 2007 E-350 6.0L Sportsmobile built van with an Aluminess bumper. I believe that the power post you show in the picture was for a convenient place to attach the positive jumper cable. The winch I installed is a Comeup Seal 12.5 model, which has a separate control box that I wanted to mount inside the front bumper box next to the winch. I also wanted a way to isolate the wiring and winch from always having power to them so I decided to remove the power post and install a Blues Sea Heavy Duty Battery switch in that spot. There were two cables connected to the power post on my van. One was a short positive cable from the aft starting battery and the second cable comes off the post and goes back up into the inside of the van body and I believe it terminates at my surefire battery separator. To allow for the second cable I used a Blues Sea HD Battery four position switch ( #3002 ) which I had to install upside down to make the positive supply cable reach the common stud. I then connected the second cable to the #1 stud and my 2/0 positive winch cable to the #2 stud. Now in normal operation I run the switch in the #1 position with the winch unpowered and when the winch is needed I can switch to the 1&2 position or the #2 position. My negative winch cable is connected to the negative cable coming off the aft starting battery where it connects to the chassis frame, which is located just above and to the left of the old power post. It is a tight squeeze getting everything installed and hooked up, but it will work. I then ran both cables along the frame up to a Blue Sea Dual Powerpost connector on the outside on the right interior sidewall of the bumper box, if that makes sense. I drilled a hole in the bumper box sidewall, which Aluminess said was ok to do, and used that to run my winch positive and negative cables out and connect to the Dual Powerpost. The other thing I did was connect an additional two short lengths of cable, positive and negative, to the Dual Powerpost connector which then terminate in a plug style connector. I can now plug my jumper cables in here and I am good to go for a jump or to jump someone. In full disclosure I am not an electrician, have never done this before and just trying to figure out how to make this work for me after reading many posts on this forum.
Besags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #5

I bought a 12' set of jumpers (8ga) from the winch to the some where near the battery. The positive end near the battery has a good cap to prevent it from grounding out. When I need to use the winch I connect the positive lead to the fused connector that is attached to the battery. It should take the few minutes needed to remind you that the engine has to be on when you use the winch. If you forget your battery will drain quickly and possibly leave your van in a dangerous position.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #6

I'm not sure I'd connect a winch lead to the jumper post. Mostly because if it does overheat, you might be left without a place to jumpstart from, and just because there are more connections in the system using the jump post, you're probability of one of the being sub-par goes up.

Also, make sure you watch FICM voltage while winching.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:16 PM   #7

Sorry. I did not make that very clear. I am not using the jumper post. Bulk 8/2 is expensive but a set of jumper cables with 8ga stranded wire are about 1/4th price. Just cut off the clamps, attach some copper lugs to the ends of the wires and you got the wiring you need to power a winch. With all of the movement the van experiences I am a bit concerned about short circuits.To prevent a fire or a melt down I leave the positive end of the 8ga wire unattached to the battery. I installed a HD fuse (don't rember the amperage) on the positive terminal of the battery. When I need to use the winch I connect the positive lug to the HD fuse, start the van and engage the winch. It is amazing how easy it is to slide into a hole or up against a rock and not be able to move the van. Though I have used my winch several times for me I have used it far more often to pull other people out of a jam.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraHawk View Post
Sorry. I did not make that very clear. I am not using the jumper post.
I'm pretty sure Belize's pic is of the jumper post, not the battery terminal. That's what I was referring to.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #9

Thanks. What is FICM voltage?
Old 04-18-2020, 10:04 AM   #10

FICM = Fuel Injection Control Module. Basically the controller for the injectors in the 6.0. If it drops much below 48v or stays below for extended periods, you earn yourself a full injector job.