Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #1

Which generator is quietest?

Which of the generator offered by Sportsmobile is the quietest.

rrruuunnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #2

Re: Which generator is quietest?

I don't know about what SMB offers, but the portable Honda 2000 models are arguably the quietest portables.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

I'm going to figure that gas is quieter than diesel in all cases, if you're taking built in. I guess the advantage of diesel would be single fuel source, if you have a diesel van.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #4

Sorry, but the quietest generator is no generator...
Old 07-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Solar is pretty damn quiet.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:

+1. I can't figure why a generator is necessary unless you're watching big screen videos all night, lighting up the campground or using high horsepower power tools. All the things I got my SMB to get away from. I crave silence.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Quote:
Quote:

+1. I can't figure why a generator is necessary unless you're watching big screen videos all night, lighting up the campground or using high horsepower power tools. All the things I got my SMB to get away from. I crave silence.
I agree, but I do also have a generator for my trailer. A single Group 31 battery, battling an ARB fridge, Fantastic Fan, and LED lights while boondocking for 3-4 days needs recharging (especially in 90+ degree temps). Solar is great most of the time, but there are times when a generator fills a vital need.

The portable solar panel setup that I want is having some issues between the importer and US Customs, so in the mean time I have my generator. Ideally I'll get my portable solar panel and then only use the generator when weather (clouds, wind) prevent me from getting the power I need from solar. Fixed solar panels aren't limited in windy conditions like portable setups are.

Herb
Old 08-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #8

The Onan 2.8kW generator is the quietest one offered by SMB (and the only one offered by SMB that I know of). Plus, it's remote start from inside the van, just push the button and fire it up, which is damn nice when you're standing in your underwear after crawling out of bed and it's cold outside!

As for why it's needed, if you don't have solar and are boondocking for several days you have the choice of either starting the engine and burning a TON of fuel to recharge the batteries, or firing up a fuel-sipping gennie and doing the same job. Personally I fire mine up for a few minutes to run the microwave and heat water for coffee when I don't want to pull out the whole perk coffee pot, or when I want a bag of popcorn, or quickly heat something up in the microwave rather than wasting a bunch of time heating it on the stove.
bphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Quote:
Quote:

I couldn't agree more. We have solar on the roof and portable solar for addl support, not to mention we haven't paid an electrical bill in 6 months thanks to the panels we put on the house last November. However, we haven't seen 2 amps from our panel in a week and we're dropping $16/night for campground electricity. At that rate, we pay for a 2000w generator in 60 nights, a typical outing for us and easily achievable in a trip to northern climes, and can resume boondocking. With the Honda unit rated at 59 dB at full tilt, about conversation level, it's getting pretty hard to avoid the dark side (pun intended).

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #10

The Honda eu2000 is a great compromise.

Very quiet, especially with a 50ft extension cord, and very effective for every SMB camping need I have encountered. It is also very fuel efficient.

I also like having a portable generator around the house.

R