Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #11

Re: Will a ScanGuage II work on a 2006 E350 6.0 L Diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeade0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfgarberiv
I used a BlendMount unit to place the ScanGuage above the rear view mirror. So far so good ...
]
Is the model BlendMount you used a BSG-1000

Thanks,

David
Yes ... BSG-1000 "BlendMount Designed for ScanGuage II"

james

Old 10-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #12
Site Team

I never cared for my Blend Mount. Well made, but without something to block background light, I found the ScanGauge display difficult to read.

Herb
Old 10-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfgarberiv

Yes ... BSG-1000 "BlendMount Designed for ScanGuage II"

james

Thanks, it looks like I have a Fall project.

David
Old 10-05-2015, 12:27 AM   #14

Thanks for the update James! Since you and several others with '06 E350 6.0 L Diesels aren't having problems, I went ahead and ordered a ScanGauge II. I don't quite what to make of the warning from Andrew at DieselSite, but I'm hoping to have the same luck as you. I also just purchased an AutoGauge Pyrometer (not yet installed) to measure the EGT at the Turbo. A question for those of you with ScanGuage II experience: What items are best monitored by the Scangauge II and what additional separate gauges are important for full coverage of potential issues? Thanks, Walter
'06 Ford 6.0 PSD E350 4x4 RB50 Customized SMB w/penthouse, Aluminess Bumpers & roof playpen. All Diesel & Electric: Espar Hydronic Heat, Wallas Catalytic Hot Plate Stove, VitriFrigo 12v Fridge, Dieselsite & Amsoil Filtration,.. and my other RV is a BMW R1200GS.
AKSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #15

The ScanGauge II works fine with the 2006 6.0l. I programmed the PIDs myself and it all worked as advertised.

The only quirk that I did find was that I was unable to daisy chain 2 ScanGauges. It would work for a while but then one of them would freeze. ScanGauge was very helpful and even sent me another unit to try but it did not help. They finally replicated the problem. It seems to be limited to 6.0 diesel vans.

Chris
cmyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:03 PM   #16

Thanks Chris, that gives more hope for success! My Scanguage II arrived (from Linear Logic, not pre-programmed,... DieselSite wanted $46 shipping to Alaska, yikes!), but I haven't had a chance to try hooking it up yet. What parameters have you found most useful to have the ScanGuage monitor? Also, if you don't set everything up at once, can you add other items later to monitor, or do you have to re-program it from "scratch" again? Thanks, Walter
'06 Ford 6.0 PSD E350 4x4 RB50 Customized SMB w/penthouse, Aluminess Bumpers & roof playpen. All Diesel & Electric: Espar Hydronic Heat, Wallas Catalytic Hot Plate Stove, VitriFrigo 12v Fridge, Dieselsite & Amsoil Filtration,.. and my other RV is a BMW R1200GS.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Being the scan gauge only has four areas to monitor, I think being able to monitor the delta between the engine oil and water temps are important values on the 6.0PSD. You want to look for a gap of over 10* between the two in normal operation from what I've been told. I also watch the engine alternator voltage but FICM voltage is kind of important and the dreaded turbo (EGT's) is commonly monitored as well. You can also piggyback two Scan gauges if you want to monitor more areas. I'm not sure what parameters require non-engine probes, maybe others can comment on that. I have a Scan gauge but have standalone gauges as well. The next gauge will be fuel pressure for my van.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #18

I monitor the same coolant and oil temps and my FICM and alternator as Dave referenced. Scangauge can't monitor EGTs on the 6.0 though since there isn't a factory sensor for it. I had an Autometer probe and pyro installed for that.

You can add or change what your Scangauge reads without having to start over or delete any of the customer parameters that are there. It's a pretty handy tool.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #19

Thanks daveb and WhitH, that't the info I was looking for. WhitH, can you tell me where the sensor for the Autometer Pyrometer is best located? Also, are there other separate Autometer guages that I should be considering for the 6.0 L Diesel? I read somewhere that monitoring fuel pressure was also important,.. I think from a replacement "sensor cap" on the upper fuel filter?,.. but I can barely get my big paw up in there as it is.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #20

There is some discussion about where to put the sensor (pre or post turbo) out there but I think you could do either just keeping in mind what temp to look for accordingly. It's been a while since I did mine but I believe it's pre turbo. My mechanic said to not run it over 1200 degrees for more than 30 seconds or a minute to be safe. It's not something that has ever been much of a problem for me though. If I towed more up long grades it would be more of a concern but I just don't. Good peace of mind though.

I believe there is the possibility of putting a sensor in the lower fuel filter cap as well? Seem to remember Zeta or someone selling one here a while back?

I can find the x gauges I've programmed and use if you don't have them. Anymore I only watch the four I've mentioned or mpg on long runs for curiosity and trans temp on the occasion I do tow any weight.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote