Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #11

It doesn't sound like you use much electricity. We have 120W solar panel and camp for a week without starting the van. Our two Type 27 batteries have about the capacity of one 4D battery and we have never run out of battery. Even with overcast, etc. And your Isotherm is more efficient than our Norcold. I think 100W of solar would be enough. 250W is overkill, but if you can afford it and it makes you feel more comfortable, do it.

You don't need (an shouldn't have) a connection between the 12V outlet and the lighter. Your van is built with protection for the starting batteries and your connection may cause problems.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #12

PROTECTION FOR THE HOUSE BATTERY

Mike,
Is my van built with protection for the house battery so the house battery will not get so low in voltage as to damage it.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Typically if you leave something running off the house battery it can draw it down low enough to do damage. A manual switch would be useful but is mainly used to physically separate the battery when you store the van. I left the outside lights on one time and brought it down to 11.5. My guess is that there is a type of separator out there that would do what you want but when it shuts down it’s off and you may not know it if your away from the van. If it were to fail you might come back to warm food. I would install a battery monitor such as Xantrex battery monitor (XBM) that way you know how much juice is left in the battery.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #14

BATTERY MONITOR

Am I right in thinking that the Xantrex Battery Monitor is something that can and should be installed as part of my solar system? What about the Xantrex TM-500A (digital amp hour monitor).

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
There are several to choose from. I have a link-10 which has many features. It's up to you to decide how complex of a monitor you need vs the price. I must admit using my link 10 did point me to a electrical problem I had. When I saw a negitive flow to the house battery while driving in a shaded area and then found a positive number when sun hit the solar array, I knew I had a problem. But you should remember that the solar controller and sometimes the inverter display also show amp/volt info. After seeing 47 amps of charge on my inverter display going somewhere, made me aware that I had a problem. Monitors can help but duplicating them would be a bad move. A unit that shows the "fuel" level of the battery is something most solar controllers or inverters display do not have and that type of gauge is very useful. It helps you get to know your system. Some have an alarm to notify you when your getting low. That might be very helpful.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:09 PM   #16

Battery Monitor

I just installed a Xantrex LinkPro (the XMB has been replaced by LinkLite and LinkPro, the latter has a few features. After replacing both starter batteries, the 4D AGM, and adding a battery separator and removing a manual switch the previous owner had added, I am finally understanding how my SMB is wired. I also moved the AGM inside in anticipation of all the additional wiring to be done. Impressed with the LinkPro so far, plan to leave it mobile (few good places left to mount it) and place in into an improvised case made of PVC pipe and two caps.

JackRabbit Marine seems to have good supply and shipping.
SMBReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #17

Although i am not an expert i know some who are.

the biggest problem is usually not enough battery capacity.

two 4 d agm better than one

gerry