Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2020, 12:41 PM   #1

Wiring for 2 sets of auxiliary lights?

I'm getting ready to install 2 pairs of LED lights on my van, one set of round pods on my front bumper and a set of cubes on my A-pillars once Vantage Optics has mounts back instock.

My question is this: what's the best way to wire up 2 sets of lights? Obviously I can run a separate wiring harness for each but it seems like having 2 additional wires coming off the battery is less than ideal.

FYI, I know nothing about electrical systems.....so feel free to correct my anywhere I need correcting!

Thoughts? Advice?

BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #2

Garage
I run the PIAA halogen fog light inside the holes on the Aluminess front bumper and spliced a pair of PIAA LED driving lights into each of the Halogens wiring harness - they all come on the same time with one toggle in the cab. Contacted PIAA Tech support prior to confirm the amp and/or watt draw would be OK and they validated it wasn't going to be an issue (and in 5 years of use, havent had any problems). I use them all the time on pavement (but then PIAA's are DOT compliant so beam pattern allows for this), ***We do a lot of freeway traveling at night, or real early in the morning.
With the proper wire size you can come off the battery with power for all, and then branch off where needed (or convenient). Recommend a fuse in-line on each.
And, from what you described for placement, I would install a separate switch for each set if you are planning to also use them on the road (since the higher mount on the a-pillars may present a problem to other drivers).
Old 07-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #3

Did you find a good spot to run the wiring through the firewall? If so, where?
Old 07-30-2020, 06:20 PM   #4

Garage
Fortunately I never had to run wire, it was already existing from the initial Sportsmobile build - I only had to tapped into the wiring harness of the floods. I was planning on adding a couple lights on the outer corner angles of the front bumper, but have refrained due to the fact I already have a huge spaghetti of wires under the dash from all the other stuff - cant imagine squeezing in anything else. If I finally decide to go that route - someone else will be doing it!
Old 07-30-2020, 07:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Here's a completely different option, a wireless controller.

I have mixed feelings about it, because it adds a lot of complexity compared to some wire, a relay, and a switch, but there is a certain elegance to this. I have no firsthand knowledge of this however.

https://triggercontroller.com/?doing...55389404296875

Herb