Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2007, 08:50 AM   #1

Garage
Wiring for Fog lights

getting ready to install a set of PIAA 520 fogs and havea quick ? for y'all

I have always had my fogs wired into the low beams but I am thinking this time around to wire them into the Parking lights. this way I can have them on by themselves w/ the parking lights for when I just want the fogs on like getting into a campground at night, w/ the lows on or even the highs on.

Any comments? Yes I know its not legal but who will really check anyway. At least here in UT they'll never bother

Any suggestions on which wire the 'hot' wire for the parking lights is?

Haven't gone out and poked around just yet, still in the jammies and slippers enjoying my coffee

thanks,

d

Old 10-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #2

Garage
D,

Wiring the harness through the bulkhead was a real bear. I tried for two weekends to find a good route. It was damn near impossible. I finally fed the wires through the large black rubber grommet that surrounds the parking brake cable (I think). It's pretty much centered behind the brake pedal. I connected the voltage sensor wires to a hot lead under the lower panel that always has 12v. I really don't care about legality issues for a fog light! Want to spend a few more hours locating and then connecting to the high-beam circuit?
Old 10-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #3

Garage
well it took a while but it's done and its sorta hidden. As mentioned getting the wires thru the bulkhead is the toughest ordeal. I ended up routing the switch wires thru the inside of the fender and thru the rubber grommet that the speaker/power goes thru from the drivers door. I did wire it to the parking lights so it does work hi or low or no beams. Still need to clean up the wiring that comes right off the lights into the bumper/grill

D

Old 12-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #4

Just an idea

Well, if you want to keep your accessory electrics separate from your OEM electrics, then a system like this would probably help:
Below is a power distribution system:

Below is the switch bezel with six circuits:

To avoid this situation:
rubirock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Nice switch setup. Very clean and professional.

Herb
Old 12-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #6

Hey Rubirock,

It appears you used one of the sPod systems. Looks really good. Is this a Jeep install?

I just started researching this. Which model did you get? Is there a master switch that controls all the other switches-meaning if you hit that then everything turns off-that way you dont have to worry about leaving anything turned on? Does it look like it will fit well on the SMB between the visors?

Were there any other products you looked at to compare to this sPod system? Anyone else see similar products?

Steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
Hey Rubirock,

It appears you used one of the sPod systems. Looks really good. Is this a Jeep install?

I just started researching this. Which model did you get? Is there a master switch that controls all the other switches-meaning if you hit that then everything turns off-that way you dont have to worry about leaving anything turned on? Does it look like it will fit well on the SMB between the visors?

Were there any other products you looked at to compare to this sPod system? Anyone else see similar products?

Steve
Steve, you are right...this system is in a 2007 Jeep JK Wrangler. Right now these are the only vehicles they are designed for. The switch panel especially, only because of the custom mounting hardware. As far as the Source goes (Power Distribution Unit) under the hood, it will work on anything that has a spot to mount it.
As far as a master switch goes, they only offer it on the 2006 and earlier Wranglers and it has seven switches and one acts as a master. You also have the option to use ignition supplied power or straight off the battery power.
Jeepers like to have power to the switches all the time for convenience when operating accessories such as electric air compressors, work lights and such without having to go in and put the key in and turning it on.
To answer your question about other products that would perform and minimize lot's of wiring, then no is my answer! All parts are of aircraft quality and built like they belong in a race car. When offroad, I want dependability. Jeep electrics can be real messy if you don't watch what you are doing!
Look at the aircraft nylon wrapping on the harness:

Old 12-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #8

sPOD owner....

I just wanted to let you all know that I am the owner of the company (sPOD) and was asked to look into possibly making a system that can be used on the
SMB arena. If there seems to be a market for this type of product, we will certainly look into building a system for you all.
Feel free to call or e-mail me any time for more information on the sPOD and Source.
I do not want to mislead anyone into thinking I,m "pimping" my products here on SMBF, but I think maybe this product can be a solution to some switching wiring project that you may all be trying to do.

Thanks again for letting me post on the fine forum!

-John
the sPOD guy
Old 12-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
Site Team

Re: sPOD owner....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirock
I just wanted to let you all know that I am the owner of the company (sPOD) and was asked to look into possibly making a system that can be used on the
SMB arena. If there seems to be a market for this type of product, we will certainly look into building a system for you all.
Feel free to call or e-mail me any time for more information on the sPOD and Source.
I do not want to mislead anyone into thinking I,m "pimping" my products here on SMBF, but I think maybe this product can be a solution to some switching wiring project that you may all be trying to do.

Thanks again for letting me post on the fine forum!

-John
the sPOD guy

hmmm...maybe you need a guinea pig SMB to do your development work on, in exchange for a free, installed switch assembly...? I'm in Ventura if that's close, and I have a lot of switches that would make for a good test bed...I know, shameless on my part

These switches plus a compressor switch that's ouside of this picture

Personally I thinking pimping your product is fine if it's a good product, if you have good customer service, and if you're upfront about it.

Herb
Old 12-17-2007, 12:18 PM   #10