Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 06:06 AM   #1

Garage
Wiring question for auxiliary light installation

I am installing 4 Nilights onto the pop top. The wiring calls for one pole of the switch to go to ignition power or constant hot, and one pole of the relay to the battery positive. Are not these the same thing (constant hot and battery positive)? I am trying to avoid running a wire all the way to the battery to the back. Or is there another location that I can splice into the battery positive closer to the dash board where the switch and relay will be located? Thanks!

Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #2

Yes, constant hot and battery positive are the same. I think maybe they made a mistake, and it should have rear "ignition power" and "constant hot or battery power".

Either way, both of these are available in the Modified Vehicle Power Point connector, which is the 6-pin rectangular connector below your steering column, about knee level. This also contains the turn-signal circuits on 2 wires, and the the other 2 non-powered wires are "pass through" wires which end up in the 4-pin round plug under the hood by the brake booster.

https://madocumentupload.marketingas...99045&v5=False
Old 07-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #3

Garage
When talking about a harness in these terms, the "constant hot" is the reference line that allows the relay to be activated at all times regardless of the key position. Battery positive is the high current line from the relay to the battery 12v source directly. Keep in mind there will likely be a switch between the relay reference wire (either ignition or constant) so the lights can be turned on and off when needed.

87- Positive output to the lights
85- Ground
30- Fused 12v lead to the battery
86- Trigger input (output from rocker switch)

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram47.html

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, wiring