Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #11

Garage
Re: Yaesu FTM-400DR install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Quote:
Originally Posted by depark
As for a mount try this from Bracketron. Model MVM-15-05
That's perfect! Going to do the same. Thanks for the input Darryl.

[EDIT] I believe the correct part number is MVM-35-05 NOT 15-05. Ordered and will confirm when it arrives.

The PDF shows MVM-35-05 but the one you need is 15-05. The difference is how far from the dash the bracket extends. 15-05 is 15mm while 35-05 is 35mm which may stick too far out. I definitely have the 15-05 and it works perfect. Look here under Mount Compatibility: http://www.bracketron.com/mount-compatibility-list

Cheers
Darryl

4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
I'd like to hear some follow-up on the digital modes Yaesu built in. I haven't really examined them, as I assume they're proprietary, but I'm curious.
Here is a propaganda piece from yaesu.
http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=Di ... Archived=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
But once I was in the boonies it seems APRS repeaters were really thin on the ground. I'd love to see a way it would work as an ad hoc net. Maybe we should have a ham SMB GPS acronym-fest meet-up.
By ad-hoc do you mean operating simplex without a digi or internet connection? I have operated this way in groups before and it works great. You can keep track of the lead and trailing vehicles in the group when you are separated by miles. Its really neat if you have Overland Navigator running as well where you can superimpose the stations on a topo map.http://overlandnavigator.com/home/ Its (APRS) also great when working public service events to keep track of moving resources.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
I'm using a 1/4 wave mag mounted right in the middle of the cab roof. It seems to work great based on multiple QRK's. I purposely didn't spend a lot of money on the antenna since I wasn't sure what the best configuration might be. I'd like to mount something to the roof rack but the penthouse provides a lousy ground plane. Any recommendations?
I had a 1/4 wave with a NMO mount (yes drilling is required) on the center of the roof and it worked. Around town where the repeaters are less than 20 miles away it was fine. For boonie travel I would swap the 1/4 wave out for a 1/2 wave for the extra gain with less dependency on a ground plane. Note that I started out with a Diamond 1/2 wave and now have the same Comet as Darryl. Its a much better antenna.

For a while I had a homebrew fender mount similar to what Darryl has but my sheet metal mount was way too flimsy. Brush just beat it to heck. With my '08 SMB the hood was metal so the pattern was decent. I hear some of the earlier Ford E's had fiberglass hoods.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #14

Garage

Some install pics of the Bracketron MVM-35-05. Not exactly sure what the difference is between this and the MVM-15-05 but it fits really well. Install was't too difficult, just take your time pulling the dashboard off so you don't break any of the clips. The built-in GPS receiver gets great reception in this spot!

Old 12-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #15

Garage

The difference is seen in picture 4. The 35-05 sticks out 35mm from the dash and the 15-05 sticks out 15mm. Not much of a difference. The head unit looks great mounted up. Good Job!!
VA7DTP
Old 12-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #16

Give us an update on how that bracket works going down a washboard road. How much vibration is transferred into the head unit.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #17

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Give us an update on how that bracket works going down a washboard road. How much vibration is transferred into the head unit.
I have had my FTM-350 mounted for over a year on the same bracket and drive on washboard roads all the time. Rattles my teeth too much but the bracket is just as sturdy as the day it was installed. FWIW.
Cheers
Darryl
VA7DTP