Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

2006 Ford E350 third seat Install

Hello Sportsmobile Guild,

I have my Ford E350 and the first mod I would like to tackle is adding a third seat into the front so that I may legally have a third passenger in the vehicle for road trips and general driving around. I will be moving to sell my daily vehicle, 08 subaru legacy, to using this van as a daily driver in order to save some money.

I have come across things like this: https://www.ebay.com/bhp/jump-seat

Has anyone done this for their Ford vans? I am looking for ideas. I would ideally like the seat to be flush with the other two captain's chairs so the front could combo as another "bed" for the third passenger on long road trips.

DrButtonPusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:44 AM   #2

That is the same setup I have in my campervan.

Pretty easy install and works great for my son.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BroJXrhB...=14ntgao7j9150
Mxkutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I don't know this sort of installation would be legal unless you have some way to properly install a seat belt and most likely air bag and a seat belt pre-tensioning device as well. This sort of arrangement and transporting someone would be easily seen by law enforcement, a sure citation I'm guessing.

Me personally I'd NOT ride in such a seat so potentially fraught with injuries when a collision would occur.

Maybe something designated and titled as a Camper/RV escapes such oversight? Obviously I don't know for certain but this same sort of question has been raised before, I don't recall anyone ever going forward with it though.

Interested to see the replies here.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I don't know this sort of installation would be legal unless you have some way to properly install a seat belt and most likely air bag and a seat belt pre-tensioning device as well This sort of arrangement and transporting someone would be easily seen by law enforcement, a sure citation I'm guessing.
The F-series center seats include a 3-point seatbelt, and would install in a van just like in a truck. Airbag configurations are similar as well... In other words, the center passenger doesn't get one, but airbags are designed to protect un-belted passengers anyways. I'd have zero hesitation riding in that seat.

I'm not sure why law enforcement would care.Plenty of pickups have 3 across the front seating anyways.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #5

I picked up a F-series middle seat as a center console (2015+F-series, gray "leather", $70, CL). Never thought about having anyone sit up there mostly because with the dog box it's already pretty cramped.

It does have it's own self-contained seat belt and does fold up to be a reasonably comfortable seat... but doesn't have much(any) leg room.

As it works out, just narrow enough to allow for the transfer case shift, and wide enough that both driver + passenger can use it as an arm rest with enough space to put snacks+water into.

I'll grab some photos if there is any interest.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:52 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
I'll grab some photos if there is any interest.
I think there would be some interest---could be the very incentive others need to add this sort of extra seating.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote