Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #21

Re: 2013 Chevy Express SMB RB-50 Build

I am very interested in your Chevy build. I don't know why I lean towards Chevy. Why did you go Chevy?

stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
I am very interested in your Chevy build. I don't know why I lean towards Chevy. Why did you go Chevy?
Chevy's have more reliable drivetrains...but I'm biased!!
Also in my opinion they look better!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #23

@LenS
>What is the story on drivers side rear door. One pic shows a felt liner in the lower section.
>Last pic shows brace cut out and bubble insulation. Same van? Different storage designs?

Same van, just some corrections. My wife had asked one of the guys working on the insulation if they were going to insulate the doors. So the next time we went over the guy had put all the insulation in the doors, which I thought was great customer service. But this particular guy did not know about the standard door compartment configuration on the Chevy, so the later pictures are when they removed the insulation and brace and replaced with it bubble insulation. Pictures I will post later will show the compartment being lined with heavy cloth. The door with the brace removed will have a swing down panel that works as a table surface when down, and covers he door panel compartment when up.

@stanw909
>I am very interested in your Chevy build. I don't know why I lean towards Chevy. Why did you go Chevy?

Long answer….
First, we definitely wanted the pop top.
This answer is based on my very limited experience with vans. I don't have a particular bias towards Ford or Chevy. I've never owed either brand in any vehicle although family member have had both brands at various times. Sprinter was ruled out as our neighborhood association would have a problem with it. A 4x2 Sprinter next to a 4x2 Ford or Chevy looks quite a bit larger. We are pushing the limits with the Chevy as it is.

My wife despises Chevy and swore to never own another one after her relatively new Chevy Blazer transmission died. As an aside, it wasn't the vehicles fault but the dealerships fault. During a transmission service they either drained her fluid without replacing it or it somehow all leaked out after their service. When it failed, one week after the service, the transmission was bone dry. I had not met my wife yet when it happened so don't have the details but the dealership refused any liability.

Somehow I convinced my wife that we needed to test drive all three types of vans for comparison. She agreed but she was not going to like the Chevy.

One weekend went to a Chevy dealership fleet department and each of us test drove a couple of 2012 Express cargo vans on the lot. We drove a 2500 4.8L and a 2500 6.0L.

The next weekend we went to a Ford dealership fleet department and each of us test drove a couple of 2012 Econoline cargo vans. We drove a 250 4.6L and a 250 5.4L. Immediately after we went back to the Chevy dealership and test drove the 2500 6.0L again for an immediate comparison.

A few weeks later we each drove an empty 2012 Sprinter high top cargo van that was on the Sportsmobile lot.

Below are are impressions based on these limited test drives. I know their driving characteristics are bound to be different once they are weighed down after conversion, but we had nothing else to base our decision on.

Both of us were initially impressed with how easy it was to drive the Chevy van. It did not feel as big as we expected it to. It was extremely well behaved on the highway. Driving with one hand on the wheel on the highway felt very similar to a well behaved car or truck. The 6.0L was very noticeably more powerful. The gas pedal feels like you have to move it a bit before you feel the engine getting gas and pushing. Just something to get used to I believe. I am used to our other vehicles that push the instant you touch the pedal.
While my wife agreed that it drove well she still didn't like Chevy.

Both of us were quite disappointed by the Ford handling. When turning right at an intersection if felt like you had to manually straighten the van to exit the turn. In the Chevy you could just loosen your grip on the steering wheel and let it slide back straight. The ford steering wheel actually had to be rotated back straight as if you were making a left turn. Not quite that bad, but definitely not effortless. On the highway it felt very squirrely. It needed constant correction to avoid drifting one way or the other. With the traffic on the road at the time I felt the need to keep both hands on the wheel. This steering characteristic was worse on the 4.6L than the 5.4L. We actually drove a 2nd 5.4L and it still had this behavior. It didn't feel dangerous, but was definitely not as relaxing to drive as the Chevy. Definitely not something I would want to drive long distances. The 5.4L understandable did not feel as powerful as the 6.0L in the Chevy.

The Sprinter was also an impressive ride. I don't know the details of the engine (other than it was diesel), but it did not feel as powerful as the 6.0L Chevy. I'm sure the torque was much greater but acceleration did not feel as good. The Sprinter was mostly eliminated by the sheer size. We looked at, but did not drive, a low top but it was still quite a bit taller than the Ford and Chevy.

After talking it over and discussing our impressions we settled on the Chevy. If we felt we might one day want to add 4x4 that might have changed our decision, but for 4x2 we felt Chevy was the best option. I believe the actual decision was made when my wife looked at me and said, "I can't believe we are going to buy a freakin Chevy!"
skijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:39 AM   #24

I think many agree the Chevy is reliable enough. How was the cab comfort compared to the Ford?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #25

@stanw909

The Ford and Chevy cabs were pretty close to being the same. I wasn't in either van long enough to talk about the seat comfort over time. They felt about the same to me. I have long legs, so any vehicle I get in I put the seat all the way back. The Ford felt like it went a notch or two further back then the Chevy. I do wish the Chevy seat went a little further back.

I believe the Chevy engine intrudes further into the cab then the Ford engine, but the way the Ford has the extra console section on the doghouse made the center of the cab feel more cramped to me. The Ford doghouse made it harder for me to get my feet out from the drivers area when I wanted to move from the cab to the back of the van. Could be because I wear a size 12 though...
Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #26

Door panels are getting installed.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijunkie
...But this particular guy did not know about the standard door compartment configuration on the Chevy, so the later pictures are when they removed the insulation and brace and replaced with it bubble insulation. Pictures I will post later will show the compartment being lined with heavy cloth. The door with the brace removed will have a swing down panel that works as a table surface when down, and covers he door panel compartment when up.
Can you elaborate at all of what the standard door compartment configuration is? Is that a package that SMB offers? I have a chevy too and kinda interested in all the different things I could do with that space! Especially with that panel that works as a table surface when down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijunkie
Both of us were initially impressed with how easy it was to drive the Chevy van. It did not feel as big as we expected it to. It was extremely well behaved on the highway. Driving with one hand on the wheel on the highway felt very similar to a well behaved car or truck. The 6.0L was very noticeably more powerful. The gas pedal feels like you have to move it a bit before you feel the engine getting gas and pushing. Just something to get used to I believe. I am used to our other vehicles that push the instant you touch the pedal.
While my wife agreed that it drove well she still didn't like Chevy.
Great write up Skijunkie!! I build LS motors as a hobby (that's the RPO code of chevy's V8 engines). You probably have an LQ9 iron block 6L which is a very very very good engine. It's one of the most swapped engines in the hot-rodding world. People drop that motor into Ford's, Mazda's, Volvo's, Dodge's, Subaru's and even Porsche's because of it's compact size, reliability and sheer potential. I actually have that same motor in my hot rod truck and on a mostly stock short block, it makes 1200 hp and I use it as my Daily Driver!

Concerning your throttle sensitivity, that is something that can be calibrated in the tune since you have a DBW throttle body. You motor is the same one used into G8's, GTO's, Trucks, and is 'essentially' the same ones used in Camaro's and even Corvette's. The throttle sensitivity is a table that GM changes depending on what vehicles they drop that motor in. So with the Van's and trucks they tone it down more since those vehicles are primarily used to haul and tow stuff and a very sensitive throttle would jar/jostle whatever they were towing/hauling.
If you want a snappier throttle response you can find a tuner and he can adjust the settings to whatever response you want from your Van. He can also give you another 40-50 hp and improve your fuel economy. Just a thought!!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #28

@spoolin

Great engine info. Thanks for sharing. It makes perfect sense that they would tone down the throttle for this type of vehicle. That had not occurred to me. The tuner information is very interesting.

As for the standard door compartments I'm not 100% sure about the end result. I didn't request anything special so they are just doing what they normally do. I assume it is the standard procedure.

The two van doors with just the one small compartment near the bottom of the door will be left open I believe.
The rear van door with the large compartment will get a door made out of a piece of the matching cabinet material. It will be hinged at the bottom and swing up and down. The thin cable you see hanging down in the picture will hold it out perpendicular to the ground to make a table surface. When swung up there will be a strap with a snap to hold it closed. It will be similar to the one I quickly found in a random forum picture shown below.

The rear side door has a galley cabinet attached to the door. the outside of this cabinet is attached with a piano hinge so that it can swing out when the door is open. This cabinet will also have a swing down panel that can be used as a table surface. The door pockets can be accessed when the cabinet is swung out on the piano hinge.

In the middle of this page at sportsmobile they have three good pictures of the galley cabinet:
http://www.sportsmobile.com/1_rb-50ct.html
Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #29

Magnum power converter installed. Danhard AC mostly installed. Under storage hole cut and under storage box waiting for install. Stainless steel inlet installed. Kitchen counter top, faucet, and sink installed. Door galley cabinet mostly built.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #30

Keep those pics comin