Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Re: Advice on my layout...

tomesd,

How many bikes were you planning on carrying? I totally agree with everyone, that the space in the SMB is VERY valuable. Have you picked Dave from Aluminess' brain yet. Maybe they can make a lockable and removable box for the bikes or a bike that can be attached on the Aluminess bumper. This way, you can still utilize all of the interior of your SMB and still have a weather proof lockable storage for your wife expensive bikes. Just my 2cents.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeek33
tomesd,

How many bikes were you planning on carrying? I totally agree with everyone, that the space in the SMB is VERY valuable. Have you picked Dave from Aluminess' brain yet. Maybe they can make a lockable and removable box for the bikes or a bike that can be attached on the Aluminess bumper. This way, you can still utilize all of the interior of your SMB and still have a weather proof lockable storage for your wife expensive bikes. Just my 2cents.

Ray
I know dave well enought to know that he would LOVE to make a "bike box"
I would rather carry the spare under my left arm, put the bikes in a "bike box" than give up space

The cost for the box will be far less than living in a tiny space with two bikes

Checking back here to see if you have SAT in a SMB?
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #13

I'm not a Sportsmobiler, yet. I'm just a lurking Sportmobilaphile dreaming of a 2WD mountain bike trailhead, weekender, roadtriping, daily commuting, dog friendly motovan. I agree with some that trying to put everything inside all the time is going to make things pretty cramp.

I ride a lot (4 days a week when I can) and want to have my bike and equipment loaded in the van and ready to go most of the time, but on occasion, I want to be able to clear the bike(s) out for camping or other activities. Most of the time, I will keep the bike in the van because I often stop at places along the way and I don't want to worry about my bike. Other times, when the bike is real muddy or I'm loaded for camping, I plan on putting the bike on a hitch rack and keeping an eye on it. A third senerio, which I think will only come up on occasion is when I'm loading for camping but I want to keep the bike secure. For those trips I plan on putting the bike on the roof in a cargo box. I've done this before and found my medium size 29er fits well in a Thule Atlantis 1800 with the front wheel and seatpost taken off. Out of sight, out of mind and it's locked on the roof. There is also room for a bit of gear as well.

My other space saving thought is to give up the built in stove and consider using a camp stove when you need it. Most people I talk to say they prefer cooking outside most of the time anyway. If you need to cook inside, you can always find a place to set up a one or two burner stove.

Just some ideas. Let us know what you figure out.
bsdctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Since you were thinking of a 2WD SMB, did you ever think of a 144" WB Sprinter?

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #15

I can understand the need to carry it inside. Theft in some areas have been a concern for me. I've already lost one $7,000 mountain bike that was locked to the roof rack. Current freeride bike retails for even more. It's not too unusual to have $30,000+ in bikes in the back of the van.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeek33
Since you were thinking of a 2WD SMB, did you ever think of a 144" WB Sprinter?

Ray
Yes, indeed. There are a some advantages and disadvantages to a Sprinter van. Right now, I'm doing my research, saving some money and looking to test drive a Chevy, Ford, and Dodge van. I think the primary considerations for the choice of van is price and how well they drive. This van will likely be a daily driver.
bsdctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #17

We'll have 2 inside most all the time and occasionally 2 more outside. I have never sat in one but my wife has seen a few at some MTB races and an adventure race or two. Is it losing the cabinets themselves that you all think we'll miss the most? We figure if we can come up with a shelf idea in the back above the bikes it should be ok- the space is still there just not as cubbies and such. I really apreciate the thoughts tho. Keep them coming- we're still in the planning stage!
tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomesd
We'll have 2 inside most all the time and occasionally 2 more outside. I have never sat in one but my wife has seen a few at some MTB races and an adventure race or two. Is it losing the cabinets themselves that you all think we'll miss the most? We figure if we can come up with a shelf idea in the back above the bikes it should be ok- the space is still there just not as cubbies and such. I really apreciate the thoughts tho. Keep them coming- we're still in the planning stage!
Daily driver changes things IMHO

4x4?
Sprinter?

if you gonna camp in the deal the space is at a premium

Aluminess box to hold two bikes outside the rig
they could make it removable

also roof rack with box
i travled with a mtn bike by air quite a bit with a hard case
just a thought

i am pretty sure they will post or provide for you a CAD drawing
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Yes, but the solution to space being at a premium can be very different. You should have tons of storage over me simply from the fixed top, and if you take someone like my brother- he designed a Sprinter that has more cabinets than my kitchen, and yet still sleeps four.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
I agree but if you were to put my plan in a RB van it would fill it up- I'm just basically leaving the extra room in my EB open- this is done by alot of people, no? What I would really like help with is shelf ideas for the area above where a bike (or bags, golfclubs, hanging storage, storage crates, etc,etc) would be. Thoughts?
tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote