Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #11

Dan,

Here are the answers to your questions.

Two-burner induction top? How much does it draw?
- We have a single burner induction top. There are 10 levels of heat, so power usage is dependent on the setting. At 60-70% the cooktop consumes about 1% of the battery power per minute, so 20 minutes of cooking reduces the battery by 20%. If it's set at simmer, the battery consumption is much lower. We also carry butane cooktop if we need a second burner.

Do you have a battery monitor? I couldn't see one, but it was pretty late by the time I finished reading the thread . . . .
- We have the Victron BMV-712 monitor. The battery monitor allows us to divert the 12 V current to the hot water heater when the SOC is between 95-100%.

No genset, correct?
- No generator for us.

3kw inverter, correct?
- It's a 2000 W inverter. It is plenty of power for any one appliance, but we have to be careful if running more than one. Ex. only run the microwave and induction cooktop if cooktop is on low power.

With 400w solar, what type of charge rates were you seeing at the deep discharge?
- This is hard to answer. If I recall correctly, when the sky is clear and under the noon sun, the panels capture ~380 W, which put about ~30 amps into the battery. So if we are at 75% of battery, it takes 2-3 hours to reach full charge. This is obviously reduced when the sun is at a lower angle.

I hope this helps.

>> Corey

cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:58 PM   #12

Garage
The current Sportsmobile has no cooktop, so we're actually using my 20-year-old Coleman - this has been very effective for us :-). When I'm by myself, I often just take my old MSR backpacking stove and a bottle of white gas . . . .

I'm more and more tempted by the idea of doing the "all electric" build (and so including an induction cooktop), then just keeping the Coleman and a 1 lb. cylinder as backup . . . .
danbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:59 PM   #13
KDB

If using the rig regularly during the winter for extended periods you should get propane. Save the battery capacity for everything other than cooking. Propane goes a really long way.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:15 PM   #14

Garage
@cthayn -

Thanks (again!) for the detailed replies. I have to go through the build thread and find that drawing of the battery monitor and how it diverts to the water heater. Is the water heater dual voltage?

The charge rate question reminds me that this is probably more of an issue for AGMs and other lead-acid types because their charge acceptance rates drop off so drastically above 85% SOC; based on the feedback here we are definitely switching to lithium . . . .
Old 11-10-2020, 08:55 PM   #15

Garage
@KDB - Can you expand on why this is more of an issue in the winter? Thanks!

Dan
Old 11-11-2020, 12:08 AM   #16

I'm guessing it's because the days are shorter and the winter sun is lower in the sky so your panels won't charge your batteries as much. Not to mention if it's cloudy, raining or snowing.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #17

Another disadvantage of propane is that if you ever want to travel internationally, each country annoyingly uses its own incompatible gas fitting for refills.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:57 PM   #18

Garage
Good point - I know several sailors who travel with a whole BAG full of adapter fittings . . . .
Old 11-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
I'm guessing it's because the days are shorter and the winter sun is lower in the sky so your panels won't charge your batteries as much. Not to mention if it's cloudy, raining or snowing.
That and I think most people are prone to cook more hot food and hot drinks in winter.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #20

We have a 2017 4x4 high-top Sprinter. The Espar diesel heater/water heater is the best! Endless heat and hot showers (if you have a water hookup). The Espar system saves a lot of space for needed storage. We also opted for no permanent indoor stove. We use two of the One Gas dual fuel stoves (butane/propane canisters). We avoid cooking in the van at all costs, but can if needed with these units. Tried inductive burners, but they use too much energy. Started with a Thetford port-a-potty and hated it, as we did dealing with any black-water. Switched to a Luggable Lew and a pop-up shelter which is awesome! We use biodegradable wag bags so the waste can be buried or disposed of in a trash receptacle. If lithium batteries where an option when we bought, we would have definitely gone in that direction. They provide more useable amp hours then AGMs since the latter can only be drawn down 50% without battery damage. Only downside is keeping them warm enough to take accept a charge.
John M is offline   Reply With Quote