Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2021, 07:42 PM   #1

Can you add penthouse motor to manual pop top?

Just wondering if you can add a motor to a SMB penthouse top to a SMB top that's currently a manual pop up?

leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:36 PM   #2

I'm almost certain that Sportsmobile (the company) used to retrofit them. Someone here will remember.....or know.

I think it would involve some fabrication though, which could be huge or a walk in the park depending on your skill level.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:00 PM   #3

I did send them a message, just waiting for a response. Figured someone here would know for sure.

Fabrication won’t be an issue. I can make anything work, just wondering if there’s a kit or if maybe it’s an all DIY sort of thing.

I’d love to see what motor is used and what the linkages look like.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:28 AM   #4
Orv

Garage
I think you can find pictures on the forum if you poke around some. As I recall they're using two linear actuators, pushing horizontally on the bottom end of the scissor lift tubes. One flaw in this system seems to be that if a hook catches or anything else restrains the top, the tubing bends pretty easily.

That's just my recollection though -- I have a manual top.

I've also seen non-SMB systems that used an airbag at each corner to do the lifting, which is an interesting idea.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:47 AM   #5

Garage
Don’t know if they still carry it, but I believe at one time Aluminess offered an air lift to help raise manual tops (believe you needed to hook an air compressor to it). If I recall correctly it was a single pole you positioned between the floor and middle of your top.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:12 AM   #6

I had SMB Texas retrofit my top with lift motors. Plan on it taking 2 days of their time - if they get it done faster great, but if they have problems it will take 2 days. Get a hotel room, get your stuff out of the van, then drop it off.

And of course, be prepared to wait for a time slot to open - ALL RV places are tremendously busy right now.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:14 AM   #7

SMB Penthouse Top Motor ?

Greetings -- I recently checked into the price of a SMB Penthouse top motor - quoted at $ 300 bucks at SMB North. Anybody know where the motor is actually mounted and where to gain access ? I don't need one as mine is working - but it is 2002 vintage. Just want to be ready "if."
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #8

I got a response from Sportsmobile: "If it’s a Sprinter it might be possible, if it is an E-Series then no its not."

It is an E-series van by the way.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Greetings -- I recently checked into the price of a SMB Penthouse top motor - quoted at $ 300 bucks at SMB North. Anybody know where the motor is actually mounted and where to gain access ? I don't need one as mine is working - but it is 2002 vintage. Just want to be ready "if."
That would be great if someone could post some motor photos to include mount location and linkages. If it's not too much to ask.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leblanc View Post
That would be great if someone could post some motor photos to include mount location and linkages. If it's not too much to ask.
There are a bunch of SMB top pictures in my album without all of the covers in place.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...rks-page3.html
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote