Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #11

The FCC GMRS license fee of $85 is for five years, not one.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Oh yeah, they do that all over the country. Less dipshits on CB 17. Big secret. Shhhh!
Less dipshits on 17? Wow what's it like elsewhere? All the drivers run 17 in central Ca and it seems there are idiots always trying to push the truckers into a fight. There is 1 jerk in Merced I would like to find and tear his tower down....he's an *******. Gets so bad I have to turn the radio off until out of range. But I do stay on the truck channel whatever it is at the current locations and helps to avoid problems and hazards. Is it only 17 and 19 throughout the country or are there other channels the drivers use?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #13

Well I thought the truckers switched to 17 to get away from the base station pricks and trucker idiots. I guess it didn't last. *sigh*
Old 05-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Oh yeah, they do that all over the country. Less dipshits on CB 17. Big secret. Shhhh!
Less dipshits on 17? Wow what's it like elsewhere? All the drivers run 17 in central Ca and it seems there are idiots always trying to push the truckers into a fight. There is 1 jerk in Merced I would like to find and tear his tower down....he's an *******. Gets so bad I have to turn the radio off until out of range. But I do stay on the truck channel whatever it is at the current locations and helps to avoid problems and hazards. Is it only 17 and 19 throughout the country or are there other channels the drivers use?
Do yourself and all of us a favor and fine a complaint with the FCC.

Herb
Old 06-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #15
Oni

I am a HAM radio fan.

There are repeaters all over the Country. Repeaters are usually high on a mountain, building or tower and retransmit your signal with much much higher wattage...usually around 1500 watts IIRC. Many places where you can not get a cell signal...you can hit a HAM repeater. You can also transmit simplex...radio to radio without a repeater. Most mobile radios put out 50 watts, but you can legally use more if you want.

I am in the Pasadena CA area, and monitored and talked with a buddy four wheeling in Big Bear with my little handheld by going through a repeater. I think it's a good safety feature for off the beaten path.

I know some four wheeling groups use them for get togethers. Use a repeater to keep track of folks coming from way out, and switch to simplex when everyone is nearby...within 10 miles or so.

You can go to any HAM store and buy a repeater guide, which is a pocket sized book that lists all the frequencies for all the repeaters in the Country.

Getting a license is super easy as well. No more morse code needed for a technician class license, which will let you work up to 6 meter radios. Study for a week or so and take the test. License is good for 10 years and free to renew.

Most HAM radios have wide band receive, which lets you listen to almost everything too.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Oni-
Does 2 meter have any relevance to our sickness? No! No!, I mean our
sport of SPORTSMOBILING?
Bill
Old 06-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #17
Oni

Hey Bill

2 Meter is the most popular I think...especially for short range comms...and there are tons of 2 meter repeaters spread around the Country. You can pick up a nice 2 meter handheld radio for well under $200, mobiles are about the same or a little more depending on what you want.

They are FM, so voice is usually very clear and static and buzz free. I remember playing with our CB radios which are AM and they always seemed to have a hum or static...maybe better one's don't...we only had cheapies in our trucks and never could get them to work more than a mile or so.

With 2 meter...say you are having a meet and greet our outing somewhere.. You should be able to find a repeater in the area and have people use it as they are travelling, then switch to simplex (radio to radio without the repeater) when they get closer.

For an example...my cousin and I talked on our handhelds when he was in San Diego and I was in Los Angeles over a repeater on Catalina Island. For where we were, that was ideal as there were no mountains or obstructions between either of us and the repeater.

Depending on location, you may not get that range. 2 meter is kind of line of sight. If you can see it...you can talk to it.

Check out places like Ham Radio Outlet www.hamradiooutlet.com or www.aesham.com to check out different radios and gear.

Here is a nice site to learn more about HAM radio: http://www.arrl.org/

Mark
Old 06-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Oni
Thanks for the info. It sounds like it could be of much greater value than CB (if, in fact others were using it) I have friends here in S&R that use 2 meter, but it doesn't sound as if many SMB'rs know of it.
Bill
Old 06-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #19
Site Team

Biggest downside, and yet advantage, of HAM radios is that they are not widely used, at least compared to other forms of mobile radios.

FWIW I have a 2m/6m mobile radio for my Bronco, along with my CB. I don't have any form of radio in my SMB. Maybe someday.

Herb
Old 06-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #20
Oni

Very true Herb.

I think most people think HAM radio and think...I'm not gonna learn Morse code!!! or think of those old movies with some guy sitting in a shack in front of big ol' radios turning knobs and stuff.

The handheld radio I have had for about 6 years...a Yaesu VX-5 is a tri band radio...2 meter, 440 and 6 meter. It is about the size of a deck of playing cards. Puts out 5 watts on 2 meter IIRC. Can listen to almost everything...even FM radio stations and weather.

For a technician class license you don't have to know morse code and just have to pass an easy 35 question multiple guess test. Buddy that knew nothing about radios and electronics studies half heartedly for a week or so and passed the test.

It is a good tool/toy to have.