Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

Delete Water System?

Thinking of ways to save $$ on a SMB conversion...I know I can buy a used cargo van and have SMB do the PH top. In their standard plan they make it clear that the propane system may be deleted for credit but I havent seen any mention of deleting the H2O system. I have no desire to carry around water tanks as virtually all campsites provide water. But I would like a finished, insulated interior, 110/12 Volt power, propane stove, refrigerator, captains chairs, etc. Anybody know how much credit is given for deleting the H2O system if this can be done? Thanks!

Whitely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #2

Re: Delete Water System?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitely
Thinking of ways to save $$ on a SMB conversion...I know I can buy a used cargo van and have SMB do the PH top. In their standard plan they make it clear that the propane system may be deleted for credit but I havent seen any mention of deleting the H2O system. I have no desire to carry around water tanks as virtually all campsites provide water. But I would like a finished, insulated interior, 110/12 Volt power, propane stove, refrigerator, captains chairs, etc. Anybody know how much credit is given for deleting the H2O system if this can be done? Thanks!
That's part of their "standard package" in the pricing, but they will do pretty much whatever you want in the build, if it's doable. You will have to call SMB to get the price difference, though.
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #3

Your camping may be completely different from mine (less campgrounds, lots of high mountains and dessert), but adding a water tank is (after the bed) the first more involved RV conversion I'm tackling.

Unless it saves you real money, I'd encourage you to not delete the tank as long as it doesn't take up space you want to use in another way.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #4

Garage

"virtually all campsites provide water".

Is that so? I've seen a few, mainly in NP's and similar places you pay for.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
"virtually all campsites provide water".

Is that so? I've seen a few, mainly in NP's and similar places you pay for.

Yeah, I would normally be going to places that I would be paying for; NP campgrounds, state parks, Forest Service, even, God forbid, KOA. I am not a 4x4 rock climing fire breather. But if I were boondocking I could bring in my own very easily.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I haul potable water cause I usually want water outside where I usually cook. But I could see some not wanting such facilities. No sink, graywater tank and water tank would take up less space. But myself having water and a sink with hot water has advantages especially during poor weather where you might be stuck inside. It also adds to a complete type RV when put up for sale. I backpacked for years and never needed hot water or a sink but it sure is nice to have.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #7

Ask your missus. If you have no missus currently, consider the future. My missus didn't even know that she wanted running water and a little sink right by the bed. I'd get deleted before her little "spa".
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #8

SMB very patiently costed out several options for me. I ended up with a shower pan and grey water tank, but decided against the fresh water system because I wanted to simplify maintenance, and save space and money.
9pb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9pb9
SMB very patiently costed out several options for me. I ended up with a shower pan and grey water tank, but decided against the fresh water system because I wanted to simplify maintenance, and save space and money.

That is exactly what I am talking about. I was watching a video yesterday where Alan Feld of SMB West was giving an interview and he said that an SMB could be done in stages; you have your own van (or get one from them) and tell them what you want your SMB to be when it "grows up."
I thought that was a really cool idea. Especially for those of us who can't afford to spend 100K on a van! I also want to simplify maintenance, as I am always reading on forums about folks having maintenance/repair issues with RV appliances. I figured I could start out with a low milage used Ford E250/350 cargo van. Then; Stage 1- have them put a penthouse on it, Stage 2-finish out the interior and add windows....and then see what my needs/desires/budget were down the road. I would be doing my cooking outside anyway. I would love to tour the Indiana facility to see how one of these is put together. I gather that the California shop does mostly 4x4's (which I don't need) and Texas does mostly Sprinters. Is Indiana a smaller/friendlier operation?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitely
Is Indiana a smaller/friendlier operation?
Much smaller. Fresno does about as many vans/month as Indiana does in a year. Since they don't do as many vans, every one is a custom (even the standard floorplans) and they don't have an issue adjusting a cabinet or couch by an inch or two to meet your needs. Call and talk to Jim or Nancy and ask about visiting the shop.

Fresno has a couple assy lines. One for 50 series vans and one for others. Custom floorplans sometimes suffer workmanship issues and may be slow to finish. While they do a lot of 4x4s, that just a different part of the process, they have no problems with 2wd vans.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote