Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #1

Difference between RB and EB Penthouse

Has anyone ever ordered a RB length Penthouse on a EB van or is this just a dumb idea? There’s a difference of about 450 but that wouldn’t be the reason to do it rather would it leave an open roof area for something like a permanent solar panel and leave a penthouse mounted roof rack clear?

Just bouncing around ideas for for my new project: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...hp?f=24&t=9716

TwistedPair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Difference between RB and EB Penthouse

The "extra" body length of the EB (we're talking Ford right?) is at the rear of the van. Using the rear area for permanently mounted items like a solar panel will make accessing the roof of the penthouse more of a chore since you'd have to step over that area to access anything mounted on the penthouse roof. To keep the RB penthouse toward the back of the van, and leave more Ford factory roof at the front of the van, might mean no standing up inside the van just behind the driver's and passenger's seats even with the penthouse raised. This would be especially awkward since entry from the sides doors is where you tend to want to stand fully upright.

It's an interesting concept and worth exploring further though. I recommend drawing the configurations out on paper. Aesthetically, it might look really peculiar. You might get used to it, but if you ever sell the rig, it might take just the right buyer. A minor consideration since I'm guessing you'll be holding onto the rig for quite some time.

Herb
Old 09-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #3

It appears that someone has used an RB PH on an EB here:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/3255628064.html

Since the PH would not sit in the rear gutter, it would need to be modified to fit the curvature of the roof. This may also make a slight compromise to the structural rigidity too.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
It appears that someone has used an RB PH on an EB here:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/3255628064.html

Since the PH would not sit in the rear gutter, it would need to be modified to fit the curvature of the roof. This may also make a slight compromise to the structural rigidity too.
Good find. I wish they had included more of a profile view though.

Herb
Old 09-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #5

I think if I was going to put a shorter roof on a long van I would want the unused roof all at one end.
While it would not be as usable if you were going to put an RB roof on an EB I would put it all the way to the rear so I could have more unused roof space for racks and such in front. That would kill the best part of the roof witch is to have room to stand by the side doors.

What about a fixed roof? They cost a lot less and you could put a rack on it to hold all of your stuff.
Roofs like a lot of things in the camping van world all depend on what it is you are looking to do.

Brent put a new taller one on his van and as far as I know (a few weeks ago) still has the old one..
Personally I would like a fixed roof because they are always up ready to move around in but my fiance says NO WAY.

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8185

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #6

I thought about mounting my solar panel in front of my PH effectively making a visor out of it and keeping the weight off the top. The bad part is that you would have a heck of a time combating shadows while the top was up rendering the panel fairly useless while parked unless it was designed to tilt or be removable.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
I thought about mounting my solar panel in front of my PH effectively making a visor out of it and keeping the weight off the top. The bad part is that you would have a heck of a time combating shadows while the top was up rendering the panel fairly useless while parked unless it was designed to tilt or be removable.
Great point...I don't have a pop top yet and my solar is just flat on my roof and works great...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies, plenty to chew on and I hadn't thought of the shadow from the top at all..

I’m surprised I didn’t see that ad but I guess I hadn’t searched Seattle craigslist since I committed to the van I bought in Portland last weekend, it does give me some idea of how much room would be left up top. Looks like it may not be worth doing since leaving it to the rear would probably hit about center of the front side door and modifications would have to be made to leave it forward like the one in the ad without much room on either end.

If I want to keep the roof rack clear, I guess I should keep an eye on the length of rack I get and allow space on the front of the penthouse for a panel. This would keep it in the sun (as much as I’ll get in the PNW anyway) and leave the rack clear.

Thanks all!
TwistedPair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Another reason to look into super flat portable panels that can be stowed when not in use. Portable panels still have limitations but in OC conditions being able to point directly at the sun can make a huge difference. Some of the flat panels are also walkable and could be added to the rack (stack stuff on them if necessary) or even installed on roof mounted cargo pod doors. I'm sure a small panel sized to the open section in front of the PH could be mounted on a custom built rack but as mentioned the PH would block sun unless the van is positioned orientated correctly. It sure would be easy to clean... pop the top, open the window and go to cleaning.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #10

RB penthouse top on EB?

so just to confirm..it can be done? i just found a used RB top on cregslist but i have an EB ford.
zchaseg is offline   Reply With Quote