Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #1

eb 350 sliding door issues

we have been on the hunt for awhile now for another smb. kinda specific what I want but whats out there is far and few between. I have located an 07 e350 with really low miles and its the right color. its bare bones and my intent is to keep it 2wd, but add a lift kit and taller wheels and tires, have smb do the penthouse and a rb50 plan, just like our first one. the only issue I don't know about and can't seem to find anything written about is the sliding side door. other than two obvious problems, I couldn't get the cool awning window, and would settle for a slider at the passenger side location, and tire size as far as width. how wide could I go? I don't see any issues if I was to do a 4x4 conversion.
at any rate I have looked around for some pics or articles on this with no luck so far. surely this has been an issue for somebody else wanting the 50 plan for their sliding door van.
fwiw, we do like the larger glass in the sliding door.

I appreciate any comments on this. Even if its keep looking for side swings.

2013 Honda Insight hybrid
jochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:49 AM   #2

Re: eb 350 sliding door issues

.....i believe the slider will also potentially interfere with rear bushwacker flares if that's your intent.

MGmetalworks and perhaps a few others have fabricated some modified brackets to allow the door to clear the flares, but it sounds like it's a bit involved.

........no door galley options either.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #3

Mg Metalworks makes a hinge extension.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... n-tutorial

http://www.mgmetalworks.com/hinge.pdf
DesertDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #4

thanks guys! and good point on the galley cabinet. in our last smb, we never used ours that much so we are thinking the trade off for the bigger window for the kids in the back will be worth it. I'm not really thinking bushwackers either. although its another great point i didn't consider.
i will research mg metalworks in the morning. i like what he's done and he seems user friendly.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #5

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
.....i believe the slider will also potentially interfere with rear bushwacker flares if that's your intent.

MGmetalworks and perhaps a few others have fabricated some modified brackets to allow the door to clear the flares, but it sounds like it's a bit involved.

........no door galley options either.
Bushwacker makes a narrower flare for just the passenger rear for these vans.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Slider van with BFG 285/75r17 (33" tire):

The solution, before finish work:

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jochi
thanks guys! and good point on the galley cabinet. in our last smb, we never used ours that much so we are thinking the trade off for the bigger window for the kids in the back will be worth it. I'm not really thinking bushwackers either. although its another great point i didn't consider.
i will research mg metalworks in the morning. i like what he's done and he seems user friendly.

Let me know if you have any questions about the extended hinges. Several people who've purchased hinges from me are running 35" tires so you do have a pretty good range of tire choices (provided you choose the right wheel dimensions).

Bajasportsmobile's method of cutting the door works too so you have more than one option for making a slider door van work.

On my van I have the barn door style bushwacker flares and I modified the right rear to allow the door to slide past. I like the barn door style flares better because they provide more coverage. The slider door style has to be really narrow to clear the door so they don't really do much other than look cool.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #8

thanks. I will get in touch with you. I should be getting my ride in a week or so. and thanks for the pics bsmb. exactly what I was looking for. i'm really looking forward to building this van.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post

On my van I have the barn door style bushwacker flares and I modified the right rear to allow the door to slide past. I like the barn door style flares better because they provide more coverage. The slider door style has to be really narrow to clear the door so they don't really do much other than look cool.
Does anyone know what mods are required to get the barn door van flares to work with a slider door and hinge mod? I thought the hinge mod made this possible without modification to the flare.
waren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:42 PM   #10

I gently heated the flare with a heat gun and carefully rolled a "dent" into it with a section of tubing (~6" diameter). I have a van here that I'll be doing this to sometime in the next few weeks. I can try to remember to take pictures.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote