Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2007, 05:51 PM   #11

My take on it:

A. They should find a way to make it all fit. This can't be the first time they've done this?

B. I have the flat plate, but would not get it again due to the freezing issues (you said winter camping, right?). Mine's fine now for extreme winter, but because I spent four days tearing my brand new SMB down to the floor and putting the flatplate inside, something they won't do. I agree with a prior poster that they should, in theory, upgrade you to espar for free/nominal increase, but I'd be wary of the flatplate option.

C. Greywater: you could do an "aftermarket" mod. They'll have the sink drain straight outside. You could mount/mod your own greywater tank underneath the van in case you're in a nat'l park or somewhere that will fine you if you dump straight. I think SMB can't do that, as my understanding is RVIAA requires the greywater tank to be inside? Something like that... either way, unless you're doing extreme clearance 4WD stuff, you should be able to fit a user-mod greywater tank underneath.

D. My take on SMB West:
**The facade of the build is stellar. They put a lot of care into the form and appearance; the one-piece RB-50 counter top is fabulous.
**They really do try hard, and are reasonable, good people.
**Underneath, the quality is only so-so to marginal for extreme weather issues. My insulation is very sub-par IMO, and others have found the same; you have to tear it down to find that out though. If yoiu're doing three season stuff, no worries. For multiple days below freezing, the insulation as done by SMB is not acceptable.

You mentioned doing winter camping. SERIOUSLY consider putting insulatoin under the floor; see threads on the Yahoo groups that discuss this. My regular water tank would freeze at night, and that's when we're in it with the heat on! Also, you need to make damn sure all the holes and whatnot are sealed (I had a few small holes all the way to the outside) and the insulation is complete. I have drafts all over the sucker direct from the outside. And this is a late '06!

Again, SMB-W is full of great people, but they're pumping those suckers out fast, and only a very small percentage seem to use them for extended cold camping, thus attention to that detail is poor.

Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:48 PM   #12

Kzemach,

A. We had a choice of deleting propane OR the grey water tank...which really ain't a choice is it? This issue was compounded when the cabinet with slider doors had to be replaced with the lined drawer unit (as we had originally ordered). The drawers took up the space for rearward travel where the greywater tank had been previously slated for placement.

B. I went back and forth between the Airtronics heater and a flatplate versus propane. Went with propane, since we're used to it (we had a Westy). Our heating/cooking runs off it, and we have the 12' extension to cook outside of a grill or weber bbq, too. We we w/o hot water heating ...as I am fine with boiling water for dishes or other uses.

C. I appreciate your tips on the greywater mods. This isn't a big worry for me right now. Most places we camp will be on beaches or in remote spots and have light impact. When it does become the case where we need to trap the grey flow, I'll rig some improv to get us through.

D. I agree with your take on SMB West. They are busy and they make a strong effort to remedy issues. I don't call and bust chops about "when is our van gonna be ready!", becuase frankly I don't want them rushing any more than they already are...

We opted for the complete 'Road Kill' upgraded insullation from Rob. During our last trip, I saw the Dynamat installation in the doors and panelling...and it was very professional. Under the flooring, I have no idea whats there. We'll be car camping this fall & winter in the Eastern Sierra, so I hope any cold air leaks will be at a minimum.

This is a custom van and while I don't expect absolute perfection at every step along the way, I do require SMB to deliver a quality product that suits our needs.

-Jeff
canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #13

Jeff, do you have any pics of the extra insulation and dynamat in the doors? I'd be curious to see what all that looks like, as I'll probably rip into my doors late the fall prior to the winter...

Thanks,

Ken
Amsoil
Old 07-24-2007, 09:48 AM   #14

Garage
Ken,

Here are some pics of the insulation put into my van, still in production. It was sprayed with a vibration dampening material first (the basic tan color all around on the metal areas), and then you will see the Dynamat on the floor and the doors. Hope this helps.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #15
Site Team

Hey Jeffrey,

Is that the factory insulation in the doghouse (last photo), or was that upgraded as well?

Herb
Old 07-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #16

Garage
Herb, part of the full Dynamat treatment that one buys is to add dynamat to the doghouse, the ceiling above the cab, and everywhere else they can cram it. I think it should help the noise level stay low and make the audio system perform better.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Ken,

Here are some pics of the insulation put into my van, still in production. It was sprayed with a vibration dampening material first (the basic tan color all around on the metal areas), and then you will see the Dynamat on the floor and the doors. Hope this helps.
Ahhh, wish I'd done that. I'd still go for even more insulation (thermal)! Of course now, it's almost impossible to get to the parts I'd like to insulate, or even fix the areas that have known missing insulation (some of my sidewall insulation is not complete). Argh! Good on ya' for getting it done right from the beginning.
Amsoil
Old 07-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #18
Site Team

Good to know, but not much I can do about it now if I don't already have it. I know that I at least have Dynamat in the front door panels (I know since I had them off to install the Ford tow mirrors). May or may not have it other places.

herb
Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #19

Garage
Herb,

The Dynamat treatment is often installed by the guys that do the sound system installation. If you have a nice sound system, perhaps the original owners had it installed. Can't you get SMB to find the original build list for your van? That would tell you a lot.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:09 PM   #20
Site Team

I've seen a couple iterations of the build list, and I think I have the final one, but I'm not certain.

FWIW, I have an in-dash Kenwood CD/DVD/Navigation player, Sirius radio, a 15" drop down LCD screen, an large amplifier, upgraded speakers, and some Dynamat in the door panels, and according to the last build sheet I do have, totals $7K for the A/V system. I would expect for that money, I have full Dynamat. I asked Rob last time I talked to him, but I get the feeling he may not keep detailed records.

It's hardly car level quiet, but it's not too loud either. I still haven't taken off the doghouse, so that should give me annother clue once I get it back.

Herb