Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #1

Front bumper info

will a 2008 and up front bummper fit a 2000 E350?

K31 Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #2

Garage
K31 Van,
I asked the same question on the forum here a few years ago, but never got an answer though. Didn't seem like anyone had tried it. Hoping someone has an answer for you (and me!) now though.

Here's the thread, if you want to look at that one for amusement.

E-series Front Bumper Interchange?
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nge-21471.html
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:07 PM   #3

Pretty sure they are different as the front end totally changed in 2008, including the bumper.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:32 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Pretty sure they are different as the front end totally changed in 2008, including the bumper.
It would be great if one or a few of us could measure each van's frame horns to see if the different bumpers would interchange. I'm thinking the frame width and side-to-side measurements would be similar, not sure if the length forward of a given point would be though. Since the fenders, hoods, grills etc changed in '08 the front part of the frame may have been affected.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #5

Garage
I think (again, I *think*....) that the bumper will bolt up to the frame horns without any issues. After all, people do complete front-end swaps (‘08 and later front onto ‘07 and older van) with little issues.

BUT:
Where there’s most likely to be a problem (if there is) is in the area of **how well does the newer bumper line up with the older fenders and grille area.**

To wit:
Unless the **highest point on the newer bumpers is at the exact same height as the highest point on the older bumpers**....THEN, one of two situations will occur:

1) there’s a huge gap between the bumper and fenders/grille....
or
2) the bumper and the fenders/grille crash into each other.....and thus it can’t be done (without some creative use of a sawzall.)
Old 05-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #6

mgmetalworks may be able to weigh in on this topic as he made an adapter bracket for an ARB bumper that would work with both early and late model E series vans. Here is a link to his bracket that he made.

https://expovans.com/parts/

It appears as if he made one bracket that fits both vans, which might lend itself to mean that the mounting points are the same. He has a picture of both vans side by side with the same bumper on them and it kinda looks from the picture that the bottom of the front clip of both vans is in about the same position, but again I am making a guess from a picture, so I am no authority.

Ujoint, on the other hand, advertises 2 separate bumpers one for older vans and one for newer vans, suggesting that there is some sort of difference, although the price is exactly the same.

https://www.ujointoffroad.com/produc...s-accessories/

I would reach out directly to either of those two and they should be able to get you a concrete answer.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #7

I think the difference in front clips is being overlooked. The frames are the same as far as bumper mounting goes, but the front fenders and hood are roughly 6" longer on the '08+ vans as compared to the '92-'07 front end. That means that a bumper that sticks out 2" on a newer van, will stick out 8" on an older van. It may not look as tight and tidy as you're hoping.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:08 AM   #8

The frame and frame mounting flanges are the same. The differences are that the '07-earlier grill/front sheelmetal don't extend as far forward as the '08-up parts do. As an example, the mounts I make for the ARB are ~4.5" different (distance from mounting face to end of mount) between new and old style. This is for the ARB bumper and how we chose to mount it though... Might be different with different models of bumper.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #9

Garage
Hey, great info there mgmetalworks.

Just to make sure we are interpreting it all correctly....does that mean you *can* indeed bolt an ‘08-and-up bumper to an ‘07-and-older van....you’ll just end up having the bumper (visually) sticking out considerably farther in front....?

Thanks mg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
The frame and frame mounting flanges are the same. The differences are that the '07-earlier grill/front sheelmetal don't extend as far forward as the '08-up parts do. As an example, the mounts I make for the ARB are ~4.5" different (distance from mounting face to end of mount) between new and old style. This is for the ARB bumper and how we chose to mount it though... Might be different with different models of bumper.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:10 PM   #10

You can bolt a 08 and newer bumper on a 07 and older van, Buttt.

The frame end horns and bolt patterns are the same. What Ford did was make the mounts different. The 07- bumpers mounts are recessed into the bumper approx 2" the 08+ mounts stick out away from the bumper approx 2-1/2".

The 08+ bumper returns further on the ends then the 07- bumper by approx 5-1/2". If you want to use one and want it to look close to stock position you will have to cut approx 5" off the ends of the 08+ bumper or it will hit the front tires. If you just bolt the 08+ bumper on using it's mounts the bumper will be approx 5" further forward then the stock and a 1/2" to 3/4" higher.

You have to use the 07- mounts on the 08+ bumper. This involves drilling 4 or 8 new holes but not a big deal.

If your running 35" tires on your 4x4 van it's not uncommon to cut the stock bumper a little anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
02 bumper mount.jpg   08 bumper.jpg   08 bumper top side view.jpg  
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote