Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2007, 10:25 PM   #1

Inside shower pics

Considering getting a shower w/ marine toilet in my SMB EB...I am coming from a slide in truck camper with toilet and shower...it was very tight but worth it as my wife and I really like having the facilities.

Any opinions / experiences / pics of this set up in a SMB?

Mikel

Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #2

There is a good thread on the porti potty somewhere and I like this option as it's super space saving. I can see the advantages of a marine toilet, but personally I think the EB even is a little small for a dediated floor to celing installation.

Look in forsale too- one of the ebay vans I posted has a marine toilet and pics of it.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #3

Garage
Isn't there info and pics on the SMB site?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #4

There is...but was really hoping for some experience or feedback from someone...if nobody is chiming in, might be a sign that not too many people are going that route.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:07 PM   #5

Well it's the weekend too. Go to Albums link above and check Buji's pics he has a water closet wedged in there behind the driver's seat.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #6

I'm here, I'm here now...

I was out of town at a weekend bachelor party. While all the guys fought for the best beds and tv in the cabin, I stayed in my own van and had everything I needed. Just awesome.

Yes, I have a toilet/shower combo behind my driver's seat.

Here's my layout:

I like it. It's definitely not for everyone though, and I certainly understand SMB's hesitation to put them in vans with PH tops.

There is a certain amount of gymnastics required to take a shower inside, even with the top up, as the frame rails along the ceiling prohibit someone really standing in the inside shower. Still, when it was below freezing outside this past weekend and the cabin had miserable hot water/pressure, I had a very nice spray-down shower of my own in the van.

I'm 5'4", and pretty lean. I have a bit of a belly, but it's not too bad. I'm fairly limber though, and I would not expect anyone else to use the shower inside. I can deal with it though, as I am used to using cramped quarters like on small boats and etc.

BUT, this is why I also got an external shower hookup at the rear of the van. With the privacy curtain attached to the two rear doors, there is PLENTY of space for a stand up shower outside. Now that the van is lifted though, I'm finding that the curtain it a little high for real privacy. I need to do something about that.

Using the toilet has also come in very handy. An example is when I was on my inaugural trip to the grand canyon, I spent a couple of hours out on washboard roads dialing in my suspension. All of that bouncing around led to a call of nature best not answered on the side of the road, and I was able to make a quick stop and then get back to business. The same holds true for running errands, making time on a road trip, etc. You simply don't have to worry about finding a toilet, much less a clean one.

I also feel more comfortable doing my business in my bathroom than some rest stop or public toilet. I'm not a germaphobe, but I do like to relax and take my time with the autoweek.

I should also note that while this is a large amount of space to dedicate to the toilet/shower combo, I store duffel bags, backpacks, and other easily removed things in there rather than under my benches etc. I can even get two middle sized golf bags in there when we go golfing, which leaves two bags in the middle standing up between the benches, and plenty of room for all 4 golfers.

I also got SMB to make a nice matching leather seat cover which has my embroidery on it, and it really keeps the stall from looking cheap. It certainly looks utilitarian though, and it's tough to keep it looking super clean, especially when you throw dog toys in there, dirty boots, etc. The flipside is it has a drain so it's relatively easy to clean out.

Now, I do have a weird plumbing issue but I am confident it will get resolved. Basically, sometimes when I flush the toilet, a spray will come out of the vent tube at the back of the van. This didn't happen when we first got the van, and is most likely due to a work rag or something getting left in the plumbing causing pressure.

The most important thing to consider though is if you will fit, and if you're willing to work a little to be comfortable. For me, the whole SMB experience isn't as much of a cramping exercise as it is for other people. I see that as the tradeoff to not being able to reach things on the top shelf of the pantry without a step

Let me know if you have any specific questions I may not have answered.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #7

buji....that is what I was hoping for. Really like the idea of not having to use the public facilites (not a germaphobe either, but nice to use your own facilities) and of course being able to use the RR when you need it, anywhere you happen to be. And I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old...again, convenience and cleanliness go a long way.

Also, had not thought of that space as still being available for some storage...good idea.

Thanks!