Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #1

Interior Height - Voyager top

I'm going to be in the market for a 4x4 Sportsmobile over the next few months and had a question on the Voyager tops. I know Sportsmobile states the interior height on a Ford Voyager top is 72" but I've seen several private owners advertise that it will allow for someone who is 6'3". I know the Chevy's are supposed to be taller but do the Ford heights vary at all between the year built or style of Voyager top? Where do they typically measure (lowest or highest point)? Please let me know as I am almost 6'3" and with shoes, even taller : ) If I shouldn't even consider a Voyager, please let me know.
Thanks

Old 02-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #2

Re: Interior Height - Voyager top

I'm nearly 6'3 and can stand in my Ford w/ Voyager. My head is just touching the roof, but it's not uncomfortable. I like the fixed roof rigs: they are warmer, you don't have to worry about wind at night, better stealth camping, have the storage areas over the front seats and rear bed which are handy etc.. You do have to pay attention to how tall it is and it lacks the airiness of the PH's.

Tom
Old 03-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #3

I am 6' and have quite a bit of room over my head. One thing you might consider is having them locate the surface mounted ceiling light fixtures in an area on the ceiling that would least impact your head clearance. You can see the standard placement in the following photo.

For what it’s worth, we have the Voyager fixed top on our EB SMB. We have the EB50 floor plan. We absolutely love the light and ventilation that we get from the upper windows and the open feeling the higher ceiling provides. We really like having the ability to stand and walk around while moving and as soon as we stop, if even for a couple of minutes. We have found that we leave the upper windows (in the top itself) in the open position almost all of the time. The interior is always full of fresh air and additional light due to these windows. The only time they are closed is when it is really cold outside or during rain.

All the best as you put your dream into reality.

In between rigs at the moment.
https://www.overlandtraining.com/ Overland Certified #OC0008
Blackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #4

Thanks Neeemo and Blackeye. It is interesting that I posted the same question to Sportsmobile West and received the following reply from Liz:

"The Voyager top is 6’ interior height and has not varied over the years. The Cruiser top has 6’5” of interior height. The height is measured from the floor to the highest point. It does not take into consideration the light fixtures in the top. The penthouse top has 81” stand up room at the highest point and 76” under the penthouse bed that suspends from the ceiling until you are ready to use it."

You would think that the manufacturer would not only be accurate, but want to advertise the highest height possible. Unfortunately all of the ones for sale are not close to me in Denver so I'd hate to waste my time flying out to see one and find out it's too short for me : ) Has anyone actually done some measurements of the highest and lowest points of a Voyager top out there?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #5

sportsmobile(at least Indiana) seems not to all things the other two do but seem reluctant to
change from tried and true.

Besides not being knowledgable about the new fords, length of both sizes has increased by 4 inches , specialized knowledge about prosine inverter and danhard ac etc.
no 4 d batteries.

they do an excellent job on things they've done in past-but are slow to do adjust to new
technologies.

gerry