Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:33 AM   #11

"(not many chances to see SMB's around here)"

Mike;
We're in Northwest [Toledo area] Ohio, about 4 miles North of the Easternmost Toledo [MP 72 interchange], of the Ohio turnpike at I 280.
You'll be passing very nearby if You turnpike it to Huntington.
Our SMB is a modified RB 15 with Voyager roof.
Not exactly what You're looking at but I thought You'd maybe like to get a look at the quality of materials and worhmanship that goes into a SMB.
We will be heading out South and West on our annual "winter safari" probably late in January.
If You'd like to get a look, contact me [off forum] at <kenkillsr@sbcglobal.net> to make arrangements.
There are others in the surrounding areas that might also allow a peak.
Also checkout "Yahoo sportsmobile owners group" for more possible local contacts.
You may be surprised at how many You find between Home and Huntington.

6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
:q6:
Old 11-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We have the same issue.... we wanted the driver seat to swivel, and we were willing to giv up the power option for that, but with the SMB 4x4 the shifter restricts swivelling. SMB said they would find a way to allow swivel on the drivers seat by modifying the shifter...

...that must be it...
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Old 11-24-2007, 08:09 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV
Ken, thanks for the offer to see your rig. We are still debating if we'll fly to Huntington or Drive. So not sure if we'll pass by or fly over. As it gets closer I'll also have an idea of what units will be at the Huntington plant when we visit. (And what won't.) I do know the area a bit where you are from. (have family in Fremont & Pt. Clinton.)
Old 11-24-2007, 12:16 PM   #14

I'm 2WD2

Mike;
As You can see, We're also two wheel drive.
6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
:q6:
Old 11-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
2WD here too. Just because we're 2WD doesn't mean we can't go offroad. We just can't go as far offroad.

Or, well, maybe we can go just as far offroad, but we won't be able to get back. Something like that.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #16

I wasn't so worried about not being able to get places I want to go when camping. (Before I owned my first Wranger I had a VW Rabbit Convertible that I took places you wouldn't believe and survived.) But, I was more worried about getting around my own area here in the Hudson Highlands in a SMB without 4 wheel drive. I was going to try to get by with 2 wheel drive but as we've reconsidered I've also been realizing I would never consider getting a normal vehicle that wasn't 4WD or AWD in this area. This vehicle will be with me for a long time (hopefully) so I'm going to try to make it as practical as possible.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:36 PM   #17
Sam

Break Away Shifter

Mike:

The break away shifter was designed for Roadtrek by Quigley. Roadtrek's front seats both swivel. I spoke to Mario at Quigley several months ago about that. Quigley is the sole provider of 4x4’s for Roadtrek. My understanding is that the shifter is in 2 pieces that thread together. You simply unthread half of the shifter & stow it. Then, your seats can swivel. Anyone with the SMB 4X4 could do that on their van just as easily if you wanted to have the drivers seat swivel.

In October, I was out near IN. for work & stopped by SMB. I spoke to Nancy & Jim. They have a used Ford 4X4 SMB from CA. there for sale. It has the electric penthouse top. The 1st question I ask about the top was if it had a backup in case the motor for the top failed. The answer was "No." Personally, I like the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method on doing things. The electric penthouse would be nice but what if????

I’m sure that a lot of your questions are answered on this forum. I know that many of mine have been. This board has given me a wealth of information on SMB & other products. There are many on this forum passing out great info on a regular bases. Now, you just have to figure out what will work best for you Mike.

Good luck with your new SMB project!

Sam

Old 11-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #18

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense on the shifter. Figured it was something along those lines. And yes, trying to resist the urge to get every fun gadget is good for the budget & peace of mind. But, they don't make that easy since they offer so many great options.
I have found this forum to be an excellent source of info. I am on here frequently these days. I keep thinking I've got it narrowed down and then a new question pops up. This morning we started discussing the Kustom Krates for our dogs. (I'm concerned its' a big commitment to space, even if they are removable. And, of course, they aren't cheap.)
This is probably a better question for another thread but I wonder if anyone out there on this forum has the kustom krates and has experience with them?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #19

Mike,

I've seen the Kustom Krates at SMB Texas and they are, indeed, very nice. And, as you know, quite expensive. They're made here in the Austin area. http://www.kustomkrates.com/

I'm a K9 handler for a search & rescue team and my two 55 pound dogs will be with me as traveling companions in my SMB. Frankly, I couldn't afford to spend $2500 on diamond plate dog crates. Instead, I'll be using a couple of folding (wire) crates from Petsmart. They have some that are sized to go side-by-side in the back of a van. With the EB 50 floor plan, a piece of plywood decking in the rear (where the sofa cushion normally resides) with some tie downs will hold the crates nicely-then replace the sofa cushion when needed for the bed.

I have a RB 50 4X4 on order that's currently at Quigley for the 4X4 conversion. If they stay on schedule, it should be here in Texas before Christmas for the interior build out. I'm hoping it's all complete by the end of January.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #20

Hey, that's interesting cause my exact point was "can't we just get collapsable crates at Petsmart so I'm not stuck with giant bulky metal crates to place somewhere when it's time make the bed. I'd be curious to know how that ends up working out for you. If you have a model number or a link to the exact versions you're talking about I'd be curious to see. Thanks.
Closed Thread