Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #11

Re: Introduction and Beginning our Adventure

Dantran,
Are you from OR or WA, I see that you mentioned QuadVan so I ask have you considered Van Specialties in Tualatin OR for you interior build out.

I went with a similar interior

I can tell ya that with the rollover bed that passenger side closet will be tough, I'm 6' foot and can barely fit the 2nd row captain chairs take up a lot of room.
I'm in Yakima WA if you would like to see mine.
Buck

Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
Site Team

I'd recommend you take Buck up on his offer. Nothing like seeing a rig firsthand rather than just a layout on a computer.

Herb
Old 12-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #13

I like your layout. Not to pick nits, just being devil's advocate here (seeing as how we went through lots of phases of builds with lots of good input from the folks here):

Couter space: plan to do a lot of cooking or food prep inside? Doesn't look like you have lots of counter space. You can put the cover over the sink and use that. We opted for the -50 layout which has the room over the fridge for this.

Sleeping for the kids: will they both sleep on the gaucho bed? When we thought about a walk-through (RB-30) we considered our nieces (teens) and where they'd sleep. They absolutely would NOT share that small of a space!

I'm envious that you got a full bath going in...we thought about that as well but it just didn't seem to be worth it for two.

Good luck! This is the fun part
Old 12-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #14

Part of the fun is going through the process!

Your family will really enjoy this, great move in making it happen!

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #15

Why do the kids need forward facing seats?. Look at the eb 41,42&44 plans. Add a seat at side door.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #16

I love your perspective floor plan. We have 4 capn's chairs with the one by the door offset, like your plan, and it works great. It gives you a nice walk-in side door. If you can fit a full couch/bed behind it I would, but I bet as Buck said you might lose that closet in the back. There is a lot of storage under a full gaucho though if you don't have other appliances under it, and you can store bags and stuff on top of it while traveling if every one else is sitting up front. Sleeping 4 in a pop top van is tight but we do it with our 11 and 7 yr old and it's not bad, we just don't stay inside much since it's so tight. If the weather sucks we go home or move on.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #17

[quote="buckkiller"]Dantran,
Are you from OR or WA, I see that you mentioned QuadVan so I ask have you considered Van Specialties in Tualatin OR for you interior build out.

Thanks Buck for the offer. We are down in the SF Bay Area. John at Quadvan did recommend checking out Van Specialties. Took a look at the website but a little difficult to navigate and find information. They did a great job with you van. I like how different it looks vs. SMB. Pretty boutique setup, I imagine. I discussed my layout with Jonathan at SMB today and he pretty much said the same thing about the cabinet on the passenger side. Just too tight. Just saw Tualatin is on my way back down from Quadvan. Will reach out to those guys and like to do a drive by, or stop by in this case. Thank you for the feedback Buck.
danhtran1143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #18

[quote="BroncoHauler"]I'd recommend you take Buck up on his offer. Nothing like seeing a rig firsthand rather than just a layout on a computer.

Hi Herb, not sure if you remember but we spoke several years back when you were selling your van. My buddy was just looking into it and really like the flexibility of your layout. I have made two visits to SMB to tour the shop and vans being built. My buddy also just picked up his van with a similar layout. You are so right on, after confirming with Jonathan, the computer layout is not quite to scale and deceiving.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #19

Indshark and all, please nit pick all you want. Will not hurt my feelings. This is the feedback I am looking for otherwise would not be posting. So, thank you.

Won't be cooking much in the van. We didn't cook at all in our VW. Just boiling water for hot coco and maybe ramen for the kids. Thinking sleeping with both kids up top since it is a wider bed. My wife or I can solo on the gaucho.

Stanw: A great point and to be honest, the single, forward-facing chairs just seems safer in an accident. No hard facts to back this up in any way. Love to hear some feedback on this subject especially what the kids think about sitting sideway.

Your post got me thinking and I looked at the plans you suggested. Amazing how much room the two chairs took up in the design. I hated sacrificing so much storage space but thought I really needed both rear chairs. Did exactly what you suggested and like this layout much better.

Just by eliminating one chair, we gained several cabinets. The single chair setup by the side door may be the best of both world. Will have the chair also be removable to give even more flexibility when just in town. Will talk to SMB to see what they say and also ask if they can make the bed as wide as possible.

Really appreciate the input everyone during this process. posting.php?mode=reply&f=15&t=12457#
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 8.20.21 PM.png  
Old 12-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #20

Dan,
I would also reconsider having the kids sit on the rollover bench while driving! It is not very safe for them in the event of an accident. Van Specialties would not include seat belts because of the liability, have you ever seen what happens to a crash dummy....no support for the upper body especial the neck.
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote