Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2013, 04:37 AM   #21

Re: Introduction and Beginning our Adventure

We have 3 kids that have grown up in motorhomes. They never complained about sitting sideways. As for crashing,I have no data on that. Ask SMB if 3 or 4 point belts are possible for the couch.

stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #22

This looks just like mine now. Nice job.

I don't have the third seat, but I have one. Drill four holes in the floor and bolt it in. I have the kitchen door galley instead. My boys are 18 & 20 so they just sit sideways, so far most of our trips have been just the two of us. The couch is pretty nice to travel on. Put the "back" on the floor and you have a nice place to sleep while traveling. You can also scoot all the way back on the couch and lean your back against the cabinet while putting your feet up.

I would NOT go with the plumbed in toilet way in the back. If West does the same thing as East there's some "bracket" about 12" wide going across the ceiling which your head would hit while sitting on it. We use the portta potty side ways moved as far forward in the shower basin as possible. Our feet are in the walkway and you can open the closet door for a little privacy. Gives you a little space in back of the shower basin to stow bags and stuff.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #23

Just something to consider... It looks like you have full height cabinets on both sides of the van. That will limit your visibility out the back window. I have a 30 layout with one side being counterheight all the way to the back. Its nice to be able to see out the back window a little.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhtran1143
Currently not planning on doing those crazy, but amazing, 4WD journeys. Having say this, love to tag along on some of those less intense trips. The goal is to get off the beaten paths, find some remote locations, and meet up with everyone. The trip reports and especially pictures are incredible.

As you all know how cheap all this fun is. May need to complete the build in couple phases. Phase 1 will be simple with the top, floor, and seats. With a few must haves, am open for most ideas and love to hear your feedback.

4WD, check, mainly for winter skiing, xc, and snow shoeing. Like to try some remote van camping as well.
4 captain's chairs, preferred the forward facing setup for the kids
sleeps 4

Everything else is open for discussion. This is what we have in mind so far. Very similar to the EB-70 setup with a rear shower. Also close to Stevens layout. Like to ask about how you like the open bath/porti potty area. We are thinking about doing the full enclosure.

The walk through layout will be nice incase we need to throw in some boards. Leaning towards the voyager top for winter options. We are short people but nice to also have a stand up shower and height. From the outside, Blackeye's van is the inspiration.
You might be interested in these pics if you haven't seen them yet.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7172

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #25

I think you have picked a great floorplan. Imagine being in camp or parked overlooking some great vista and you can sit inside (bad weather) and look straight out to the action. The original plan although practical would force whoever was on the couch to crane themselves all the way around to see. Front seats must swivel also to make nice living space. This is the plan I would choose except I need to be able to haul band equipment and rear loading is best for that and being able to still live in it. I 'm exited for you and your family.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #26

Another point. Full height cabinets will limit rear visability but will provide an excuse for a rearview camera.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark
Welcome! Great looking van, too! Congrats on your new adventure and please post more pictures of those steps/sliders when you get a chance. Are those Aluminess?
Yep, I like those too!

Nice rig

Hi all. just pulled an all nighter yesterday to pick up the van. Flew into Portland in the morning, met with John at Quadvan, and off I went for the 11 hour drive back to the Bay Area. John did a wonderful job and it exceeded all expectations. Here are some pictures including the Aluminess steps

Didn't know what to expect but the van drove and handle great. Got to use the 4WD right out the gate as there was snow on the ground and going over the passes. Keep walking outside to look at the van. The novelty has yet to worn off. More to come............
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0170.JPG   IMG_0172.JPG   IMG_0174.JPG  
danhtran1143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #28

Looks good! Must be exciting times to build a rig from scratch. Welcome to the madness.

Looking at your handle. Chinese born in Vietnam?

Any who, I would only subject my worst enemies to sit sideways for 8-10 hour road trips. Not sure about how safe it is either but just sounds very uncomfortable.

I love the inside shower/porta potti/sink plan. Especially if you travel to cold areas. I have an ext shower and I hesitate to shower when its cold out. If I had an inside one id shower all the time.

If you do pop top def consider the e-pop top esp if you plan to put a rack or any kind of weight on the roof.

Have you picked out a water heater? Must have IMHO if you plan to use the shower often.

About cooking, me and almost every other smber I've met cooks outside. Mostly on a portable grill or butane stove. Doesn't stink up int, its nice to cook outdoors, and it keeps the mess out of the van.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
Looks good! Must be exciting times to build a rig from scratch. Welcome to the madness.

Looking at your handle. Chinese born in Vietnam?

Any who, I would only subject my worst enemies to sit sideways for 8-10 hour road trips. Not sure about how safe it is either but just sounds very uncomfortable.

I love the inside shower/porta potti/sink plan. Especially if you travel to cold areas. I have an ext shower and I hesitate to shower when its cold out. If I had an inside one id shower all the time.

If you do pop top def consider the e-pop top esp if you plan to put a rack or any kind of weight on the roof.

Have you picked out a water heater? Must have IMHO if you plan to use the shower often.

About cooking, me and almost every other smber I've met cooks outside. Mostly on a portable grill or butane stove. Doesn't stink up int, its nice to cook outdoors, and it keeps the mess out of the van.
Very nice Ocsmb and am impress with the knowledge. My father is Chinese and my mom is Vietnamese. Still trying to make the four captain's chair layout work. I think we are close. daveb, thanks for the lead on the Saudi setup. Also looks like a nice layout.

Some things are coming together. Planning on the voyager top. Like to go with the hotplate for hot water to save space. Please let me know if anyone has strong feelings one way or the other. We didn't cook in our old Westfalia. So we are actually removing the stove and just have counter space.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Another point. Full height cabinets will limit rear visability but will provide an excuse for a rearview camera.
No excuses necessary. Plan to do a rearview camera for sure. Let me know if you have suggestions on makes or models. Thanks.