Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #11

Re: isotherm refrigerator Vs norcold refrigerator ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jronne
the IsoTherm 130 is pretty close to a drop in replacement for the Norcold 0041 (SMB 4E)
Has anyone done an install report?

Also is the model the "Cruise CR 130 Classic"?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jronne
the IsoTherm 130 is pretty close to a drop in replacement for the Norcold 0041 (SMB 4E)
Has anyone done an install report?

Also is the model the "Cruise CR 130 Classic"?
A full install report on installing a 130 including making the ACU unit "washboard road proof" is at viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3075
Old 05-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #13

Thanks!

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
Isotherm CR-130 Standard refrigerator: 1.2amps --- 14.4watts!! for 43F inside and 72F outside.

Norcold 4E DE-0041 2.8amps --- 33.6watts (I think, Norcold does not provide details like Isotherm).

The above amps and watts should be average power draw.

West Marine for comparison: Isotherm CR-130 $1,349.99 Norcold 4E DE-0041 $999.99
Sorry but you're looking at old info off the Norcold site. The 4E pulls a whopping 6 amps now @ 12vDC. SMB tested several, two of which were installed in my van. I was told all the other Sportsmobile sites are seeing the same. According to SMB, Norcold finally admitted they have installed a new improved compressor. Both the small and larger unit (like I have) now pull more than double the amps when cycled on than previous year models. Of course that doesn't mean much if the new compressor takes half the time to reach a desired temp compared to the older model. It's amp hours that matter and what they use to reach a specific setting. Still I was very upset being I talked with them and they claimed no changes were made. I have not taken the time to see what the total AH of the new unit actually pulls.
Do you know when that change was made? Seems an odd tradeoff for efficiency.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Well I don't know how many had been installed in vehicles at SMBW or any of the other SMB sites, only that nobody knew they (Thetford) had made a change until I went through my issues last November.
Again I'm still not sure what the new Norcolds actually pull in average amp hours but I'm looking at replacement if I find I'm waking to low battery states. I'm just starting to get a feel how this thing is working compared to the old one.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

I just reviewed the Isotherm CR-130 and was surprised to see it's running rating:

Current Draw:

Compressor Running: 4.7 - 5.0 Amp @ 12 Volt DC (half at 24 Volt DC)
Average: 1.2 Amp @ 12 Volt DC ²

I do understand much may have to do with the insulated value each fridge can offer but thought the CR-130 amperage draw to be closer to the new Norcold DE0041 which is high IMO. Does this automatic start up (ASU) keep the total AH down during normal run times? Again, I can't find any data talking total AH draw over a specific period and specific air temp except where Isotherm states the total average draw is measured at 43°F in refrigerator, 72°F ambient temperature and that value is only 1.2 A on the CR-130. Hard to compare when nobody else gives that data on their units.

Overall I do like the layout of the Vitrifrigo especially the freezer compartment compared to the Isotherm which looks tiny. And a 2.3A draw @ 12vDC is lower than the old Norcold I had and way below the CR-130 Isotherm.

I also don't want to have an remote compressor section... only a drop in replacement for the Norcold.

So I guess the big question is why is the Isotherm more of a favorite as a second choice fridge option at SMB? I really don't think I need to worry about my battery voltage dropping below 12.2 so that feature isn't something I'm that worried about but total average AH is, and none of the manufactures seem to want to post about that. Any side by side reviews out there???

I'm still sorting out if my house batteries were damaged do to Freedom Ford causing the battery harness to burn up. Seems that the alternator regulator is producing a charge voltage around 14.8-15.2 and this might be the cause of why my batteries aren't holding a charge like they did before the incident (the new alternator is being installed right now). Yet it's hard to believe the alternator damaged my batteries in the limited time I've driven the van so I'm quick to blame the Norcold. But I wouldn't be too happy to pull a brand new Norcold out and replace it if it's not the fridge causing the issue.
I don't plan to jump on this soon but any AH info on these units (or links) that can be posted would help me in the future and add to the thread.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Overall I do like the layout of the Vitrifrigo especially the freezer compartment compared to the Isotherm which looks tiny. ...
I also don't want to have an remote compressor section... only a drop in replacement for the Norcold.
You may already have noticed this, but the same Vitrifrigo comes with a built in compressor, only it's the "115" instead of the "130" (because the compressor takes up the other 15). The reduction does not come out of the the freezer space though, but rather makes the bottom refrigerator compartment a shallow one with a little crisper drawer, instead of a full depth bottom.

(Total 4.2 cubic feet vs. 4.7 for the remote compressor model in the same box size.)
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:37 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Yep I was looking at the C115IBD4-F. They told me it was a drop in replacement for the 0041. I just wish somebody did a side by side AH check or average like Isotherm does. That would tell me what the most efficient make/model really is. Who knows maybe my Norcold with the new Danfoss compressor isn't too far off... at least not enough to worry about at this time. Run er till she dies.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #19

Wouldn't an actual comparison be nice? Plus, in a way who cares how many amps it draws (within reason), if it has a super low duty cycle. Between amps and duty cycle, it seems almost impossible to get a real comparison. I would like to see two figures: 24-hour damp draw, at X temp setting, at 60º ambient temp, and the same thing with a 90º ambient temp. That would tell us a lot.

That's one reason I decided to go separate compressor. I figure I can insulate the heck out of the box, and ventilate the heck out of the compressor, and nary the twain need to meet.

I like Len's added door insulation - that has got to be a weak point on most of them.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #20

I think average amps should comprehend the complete duty cycle. Say 5 minutes at 6 amps then followed by 10 minutes at zero amps would give 2 amps average for the complete 15 minute cycle. That in turn would yield 2amps x 24 hours = 48 Ah for a days drain off of the house battery bank. ???

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote