Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #21

Re: Leaking Fixed Top - Indiana Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotearms
Gerry, In case you are interested, I have put a number of pics on my gallery that were taken in July when we picked up the van.
thanks,

I'm not looking at same floorplan but I am definetly getting the top for upper bed(bottom for wife).

I had intended to put bed over the cab but upper back upper bed confuguration is intriguing if i go with a chevy instead of ford. my wife and i are in our 60's and she feels Roadtreks are too cramped.
with both feel the upper bed will open up the van.(one side bed below). My wife wants and will get a full(at least 36 inch bathroom. In a ford EB can go behind the wheel well. in chevy only front or extended out in back(which we don't like.

thanks for the pictures again.

gerry

Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I would flip the upper cabinet doors around to make the pull knobs MUCH easier to reach. But I think I recall you mentioning you were tall, the reason you selected that top to begin with. Something to think about if you ever take kids, short people on any trips.

Looks great BTW.

Herb
Or leave em that way to keep the kids out of those cabinets

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #23

I realized I never got back to this post to describe the outcome of my leaking top ordeal. To review, when it was noticed after leaving Sportsmobile with the new rig and after discovering the leak a few months later, it looked like this:

Note on the drivers side the top was actually resting on the windshield gasket, and the leak was on that side. I guess it was not surprising the leak was not on the passenger side with all the gook oozing out. After the repairs were done per the out-of-area clause in the Sportsmobile warranty, it looked like this:

This nice work was done by Van Specialties in Portland. During the repairs they indicated they found some screws in the front had not even gone through roof and it seemed like some random assortment of rusting screws were used, so they replaced all screws with stainless ones.

Given all this, I am relieved that I was able to get the repairs done at a shop that was up to the task. Even if it were possible to go all the way back to Sportsmobile, Indiana, I seriously doubt they could do as good a job. Thanks to the guys in Portland this ordeal is over and I am literally a happy camper again!
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:58 AM   #24

SMBW has repaired my leak where the top meets the van and all the rusted chipped paint that went from the cruiser top to the rain gutter in front. They said they could see where the leak was from the inside so they repaired it from the inside and the outside. Looks good. I will be out of their 3 yr warranty in Nov.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote