Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #1

Modified RB-55 Design

Well, after over a year of research and asking a zillion questions, I think I've finally come up with a SMB layout that works for me and my family. It's a DYO design loosely based on the RB-55, except in a Chevy EB van. The outside of the vehicle will be custom as well, with ground effects and nice wheels.

What I'm aiming for is maximum versatility while being able to seat up to 6, sleep up to 4, and have a good sized trunk area. I've done a few unusual modifications to accomplish this.

It'd be great to get input from other SMB owners and what you think about it. Please see the images in my gallery and feel free to leave any comments here.

Thanks,

Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #2

I would be concerned the 3rd seat placement will acutally be further back and the ottoman will remove more of the 6th persons leg room than you think... of course I'm imagining this on a Ford platform.

You might consider moving the galley A and sink further forward to allow the ottoman to be placed next to the sink as an alternative (enough so it fits either spot). In the Ford the steering wheel pretty much prevents more than cocking the driver's swivel seat, so having space behind it to swivel is probably moot.

Can't wait to see it!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
Site Team

It will be nice to see some more Chevy-based conversions. Haven't seen many.

Will this be a 2wd or 4wd conversion? I'd be concerned about the ground effects being damaged by the effects of the ground if you're going on anything rougher than a fire road.

Herb
Old 10-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I would be concerned the 3rd seat placement will acutally be further back and the ottoman will remove more of the 6th persons leg room than you think... of course I'm imagining this on a Ford platform.!
I agree with Jage about the space. We have an EB-71 modified and it seats 7 adults with three captain seats. I can't even imagine having a 4th seat behind the passenger side. With your third captain seat ,set up, you will probably loose the door galley. Good Luck!

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeek33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I would be concerned the 3rd seat placement will acutally be further back and the ottoman will remove more of the 6th persons leg room than you think... of course I'm imagining this on a Ford platform.!
I agree with Jage about the space. We have an EB-71 modified and it seats 7 adults with three captain seats. I can't even imagine having a 4th seat behind the passenger side. With your third third captain seat set up, you will probably loose the door galley. Good Luck!

Ray

EB-71 is my favorite layout!

I have almost the direct opposite of it; minus the third seat..

If I had to do it again, I'd have it just like the EB-71 layout...
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #6

Thanks for your input guys. First of all, I think because my comments on the images are hidden, there's a little confusion here. The door cabinet is not installed at the same time as the 3rd captain seat. These are supposed to be one or the other. Secondly, I've spent a considerable amount of time working on the dimensions, trying to figure out what works in real life. Perhaps if I added them, you will see some detail that is not obvious. This setup is actually better in some ways than other Class B vehicles I've looked at recently (Roadtrek, Pleasureway, etc.). I will re-post a better image.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:54 PM   #7

I know its an old Ford instead of a new Chevy, but here, you can live it in 3D

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #8

charlie56,

Wow, that's awesome! How did you do that? Man, I've been telling my brother I wish I could do a 3-D version. So, is this like a CAD program you designed yourself or could somebody like me do this kind of thing? I'd like to see my ottoman idea in there too. Thanks for doing that!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:36 AM   #9

Trek
I use a program called Google Sketchup. The basic program available on the web for free. (Just Google the word Sketchup.) The model is composed of blocks (or components) that are pushed around to make the configuration you want. If you download, install and learn the program I would be happy to share the model and my components with you or anyone else on the Forum that would like them.

If you give me the details on the ottoman (size) I’ll send you some revised views.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #10

Updated image from Trek777