Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #21

Re: New SMB build, Ford E350 EB V10, help needed.

Still waiting for pics of my van at Quadvan.

Have a compressor install question. They are installing ride-rite air bags in the rear with a viair compressor and tank under the van by the side barn door.

I would like them to put a shut off switch somewhere on the dash to easily disconnect the system (don't have to worry about a battery drain if a leak or something happens). And also install the external air hose hookup in the rear aluminess bumper for filling tires. Any thoughts on either of these two items or any other ideas?

thx guys for any suggestions.

Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #22

Garage

Maybe don't have Quadvan wire up the compressor but have SMB do it? I would think it should be powered off the house battery, not the starter battery. Then have SMB also install a house 12vdc main disconnect switch which prevents ANY load on the house battery.

Another option might be to feed it from the starter battery and have Quadvan wire it through a relay fired by the ignition circuit. The compressor could only run when the engine is running. The van may already have provision for this in the "smart terminal block."
Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #23

Talked to John @ Quadvan and they said they'd be wiring the air compressor to the ignition so it would only run with the key on. Makes me feel better that it wouldn't drain the battery if there's a leak in the system somewhere.

Now if they just get me some pics, I'm dying to see it.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage

I think that is your best bet. My extreme air pulls a heavy load and I only run it with the engine running. My air zirk is in the winch box. It stays cleaner there.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #25

I have a Viair and would NOT run it without the engine running; they draw quite a few amps. Probably hard to miss if it starts up inadvertently, unless they've gotten a LOT quieter lately
Old 03-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #26

Picking up the van from Quadvan this Thursday and driving it back to Madison. Will have it for 2 weeks before I deliver it to SMB North, so....

I want to reflectix the sides of the van. I was thinking about using the double sided 3m tape, stick it in all the places on the van wall, but only peel off the backing on the top ones so SMB can pull it to the side if they need access to the wall for something and then ask them to peel the rest and press the reflectix back in place. I also thought about using fatmat instead (maybe on the floor too, would need to have SMB install after through floor stuff done). http://www.fatmat.com/bulk/fatmat/100.html Any thoughts/comments on that part?

Second, since I plan on ski camping a lot I'd like to insulate the floor some how. I've been looking at placing this pre made/cut flooring http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Ca ... loor-Liner. The mat won't provide much insulation, will get items away from the cold floor metal a bit, and provide some sound dampening. I thought with this SMB would be able to do all their through the floor bolting and any other floor "stuff" (they bolt through the floor for the generator). They could then easily place the pre cut floor liner. They said they would add reflectix before they laid the plywood. Thoughts/comments on flooring ideas?

Steve in Madison, WI
Toyo LT285/70 R17
Old 04-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #27

My 2 sons and I drove the new van back from Portland, OR. We stopped at Silver Mountain Resort to do some skiing, snowboarding, & surfing (indoor water park). The van frontend/ steering started out a "little squirrelly" on the highway, but after the frontend/tires settled in everything went smoothly. The speedometer is off by 3 to 4 miles per hour and around the 2000 mile mark the low tire pressure light came on and won't go off (tires are good 60psi front & 80psi rear). Quadvan said to bring the van to my Ford dealer and have them give them a call to take care of the bill. Appointment next week, hopefully all will get fixed.

The boys (19 & 18) thought the van is awesome and enjoyed all the comments from folks along the way. Even had a couple of people taking pictures of it. Many offered up some names. Bad Ass, War Wagon, Assault Vehicle. My wife liked the "Bad Ass" comment. Hmmmmm.

Apparently, according to the Minnesota state patrol, we fit the profile of drug runners. He pulled us over because he "couldn't read the temp plate" very well taped inside the rear window. He was very interested in what we were carrying in the back. I think he was disappointed that it was empty. Had I known about the drug running possibilities I could have paid for at least the new bumpers with a load of that leaf stuff that "if you light it on fire it has side effects - happy, sleepy, hungry".

The van will now hang out in Madison a couple of weeks before I deliver it to SMB north for the build....and the wait.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
Old 04-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MacFam
My first post here. My wife and I are in the planning stages of our new SMB and would like to request some help. SMB North will be doing our van (from Madison, WI). So here goes:

Water: Wife really wants hot water. Want to go tankless Girard Tankless RV Water Heaters http://tweetys.com/girard-tankless-rv-w ... bAodtltkow with winter use device. Nancy at SMB is looking into this, they haven't done this yet and not too excited about being their first. Will go with the PROPANE 6G W/bypass valve if not Girard or better idea. Thoughts out there??? I'm guessing that I will choose to winterize if things get too cold. Remember that my SMB baby will be sleeping in a heated garage when at home so it'll only sit in the elements for day use or when we're camping.
We also really wanted hot water and the propane 6 gal unit has worked out well. Six gallons is enough for two showers if you turn off the water while soaping up. Be sure and order the outside shower "box".

As for an air compressor, rather than having another thing to find a place for, get the Extreme Air unit which can be mounted on the frame under the van.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #29

What floorplan did you decide on?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #30

We went with the EB44. The sink and stove are switched around, microwave under the stove. Frig right next to the stove cabinet, the furnace in the bottom of the cabinet next to the pantry. Water heater in the bottom of the cabinet next to the shower. 2k generator under the floor in back. Grey water tank behind the axle under the floor. Door kitchen galley. Fresh water tank, batteries, inverter under gaucho couch. 100 watt solar panel on front of aluminess safari rack. Golight mounted above cab roof. 4 utility lights mounted on roof rack. 1-front center, 1-back center, 1-driver side center, & 1-passenger side center.
Toyo LT285/70 R17