Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2008, 07:58 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
Oh!...the pain!

I just received this email from Paul....

Thanks for your patience. At this time your van and Mr. Janka van are held up in CA. Our SMB West location is has completed your 4x4 up fitting. We are trying since last Friday to get a transportation company to Pick up these 2 vans. We are finding it extremely difficult to get truckers to go to west coast. 2 months ago we could have transported a van from CA to TX in 3 days and cost was $900.00. We deal with 5 transportation companies and only one has bided on delivery. Cost of $2400.00 each. We only have budgeted $700.00 to transport. I cant loose $1600.00 on each van. Please give us a few more days to work this out. Thanks. Paul

Anxiety is a terrible thing to endure...but just knowing the end result puts a big grin on my face!

Ric

Old 08-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #2

Maybe you should take the $700 and fly out and drive it back yourself!

It would be a great way to get aquainted with the vehicle. And we all need excuses to get out and travel.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #3

I hear ya Mike...but unfortunately I'd be getting acquainted with an empty van. The 4x4 upfitting was done at SMBW and the interior will be done in Austin. I'm traveling to and from Chicago for work so it would be kinda tough to make arrangements to head out in that direction. I'll just keep my fingers crossed things get figured out soon.

And I agree we all need excuses to get out and travel...I've already started on my list of excuses for my many trips to come.

Ric
Old 08-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Ric I just looked the two Tx vans yesterday. I plan to upload pictures into my album soon. I don't know what the liabilities are for transportation, but you would think you could get somebody, maybe a biker friend to drive out to get it? Someone could load a bike in the back being it’s empty. Don’t know what the cost of a rental car to Ca is but it might make for a good road trip especially for a biker.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #5

That sucks man, i hope it all gets squared away soon. I was going to say fly out and drive it back yourself too until i saw your explanation. Good luck man.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:59 AM   #6

That really sucks. It looks like it would cost $500 in fuel, just to drive one way.

And it probably takes too much time to have SMBW do the camping conversion. But, if you could get it all done in CA, then you could do the fly/drive thing easier. Plus, you would get to visit the prettiest part of the country!

Fortunately, the cost of diesel is coming down. In June when I drove to Iowa and back, the lowest price I found was $4.59. Today I noticed $4.38 in California! Not more than 2 months ago it was over $5 everywhere in CA.

Amazing isn't it? Now $4.38 feels cheap.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #7

Dave...am I to understand that you have a picture of the van? That would be friggin awesome to see it!...and about the biker friend suggestion, most of the one's I know try to keep a low profile for one reason or another so I'd rather not have my van in their care for any length of time.lol

Adventure Duo...thank's! I'll give it a little more time to see what Paul comes up with and then look into it myself to see what I can and cannot do myself to get it back here...as Dave mentioned there probably is some type of liability issue involved.

Mike...the thought did cross my mind about just having it completed in Fresno. Then the guilt set in about having Paul in Austin taking care of all the details so far and I know he's doing his best to remedy the situation so I'll bite the bullet and let SMB in Austin continue on with it. And yes I will admit you CA folks do have quite a bit of eye candy to see...not being sexist here!....I'm talking about all that Mother Nature has to offer there. Over the years I've done work in LA and surrounding areas up to Seattle and lots of places in between. I know for a fact when my SMB is completed sooner or later you guys will see me toolin around up there.

Ric
Old 08-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #8

Ric, when I drove my new van from Oakland to South Padre in January (when diesel was $3.20), we were pulling a trailer. The cost of fuel added up to $800. But for my next trip, even though the price is higher, I'll still save by not having to stay in motels or eat in restaurants.
Remember, you can't drive it out of CA yourself without paying sales tax on the van. I had heard I'd get a refund on the balance when I registered in TX, but no dice.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #9

Excellent point Joanna about the sales tax. Now that you mentioned that I recall back in March when I visited SMBW a couple was making arrangements for one of the SMB employees to drive the van to the Nevada state line where they would take possession of it...to avoid paying CA sales tax.

My head is spinning like a top right now...just like the first time I saw that commercial:

HeadOn...apply it directly to the forehead!!
Old 08-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #10

I just paid sales tax at the DMV for my used "new to us" SMB.

Trust me it hurts really really bad.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote