Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #21

Blackeye,

Great Rig! Thanks for posting your build list and all the pictures.

I read your build list and told SMBW that I wanted a HellA map light in the cab area but when asked which one, I did not know. The last picture in your post looks like the two map lights I want. Do you also have a dome light with a 3 way switch?

I was told "We do install the Ford dome light lights in the cab area, the bullet light can also be turned and pointed towards the cab area, unfortunately we will not be able to offer another option"

What do you suggest I tell Greg at SMB to get what I want?

Angel

2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:21 PM   #22

Angel,

We do have the dome light setup. I like the ability to direct light exactly where I want it and have used the HELLA map lights in other rigs. The HELLA map lights (and several other HELLA lights) were owner supplied / SMB installed. We had them install a 12" HELLA map light parallel to the passenger sun visor, between the visor and the windshield. We also had them install an 18â€

In between rigs at the moment.
https://www.overlandtraining.com/ Overland Certified #OC0008
Blackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #23

Blackeye,

I had trouble finding the HELLA map lights on the two web sites but found them at www.yellowandbluelighting.com If you search for part # 87141 a Hella map lamp 19" comes up. Is that the right one?

Also, would you pm or e mail me your name. I will have to call Jonathan as Greg has not gotten back to me. I faxed him a copy of what you said and the picture of your lights. Are your map lights the same as adventureduo has on page 4 of their gallery titled 54444?

Thanks, Angel
Old 09-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #24

Angel,

It looks like you have found the right map lights. The lights that we had installed are the 12v – hardwired version, not the 12v socket type. I inadvertently included a “period” at the end of the website that I purchased them from. You could try:

www.rallylights.com

They are great folks who really know the off-road business.

You can tell Jonathan that you want to have the same map lights that “Blackeye” has and I am sure that he will remember. He, in fact, used the original lights that we supplied for a certain (famous) forest service green SMB build. The one post-delivery modification that I did was to relocate the location of the clip that holds the arm of the 19" map light so that we did not bump it as often when going from the back to the front cockpit area. The clip used to be located almost dead-center. The new location is shown below:

The dome lights that are shown in Adventureduo’s gallery (Page 4, titled 54444) appear to be the same as what we have and what SMB West is using currently.

I hope that this is helpful. Please feel free to ask about anything SMB related. This site was very helpful for us as we formulated and refined our build.

Thanks,

Blackeye

Old 09-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #25

Blackeye, After I told Greg what you said about talking to Jonathan, Greg got back to me and said he talked to Jonathan and could install the lights in the next stage of production, but, he needed them asap. He also said he would relocate the light clip.

I ordered lights from www.rallylights.com shipped 3days UPS. The HELLA map lights were out of stock so I got Terralight VA, by Avanti.

Now I can say "Let there be light" thanks to you.

Angel
Old 09-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #26

Angel,

I am certain you'll be happy with the Terralights. Nothing like light where you need it.

All the best as you go through the hardest part...the waiting.

Hang in there, it is so worth it.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #27

Blackeye........Very cool.........and your using your rig too, as it should be.

FB.......
Old 09-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #28

Thanks FB,

I'm not sure if FB indicates that you have some affiliation with the pursuit of fish but I have found that the SMB is the best basecamp fishing rig ever. I just got back from a 5 day flyfishing trip in it. It is awsome!

Thanks again,

Blackeye