Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #1

Penthouse and the Promaster? Help!

Hi all,

Very soon..I'll be purchasing 2017 Promaster 136" standard roof. It will be my everyday commuter vehicle and I'll be carting the kids around to school and soccer and whatever else comes my way. Also...it will be our camping rig.

I need some input..some experts on this forum to tell me I'm either practical or impractical. My questions for all of you are..

1. Does anyone use a Standard Roof Promaster 136" with the Penthouse (or the like) as an every day rig (North East Climate)? Does is work for you? Too much vehicle or just right?
2. I'm going with the Penthouse only install with electric lift and a bed. Is this the best way to gol? Any thoughts?
3. I'm not 100% sold on the Promaster..but I'm in the northeast..long winters and the front wheel drive will help. Cheap way around finding a 4x4 camper or aftermarket upgrade.

Thanks
Marz

Marz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #2

Garage
Hi (and welcome!) Marz.
Suggest you read this post (from only two days ago.)

If you somehow acquire a Promaster with a penthouse roof on it, you'll have the second one in existence......yep, there's apparently only one of 'em ever built.....and it doesn't sound like it was a lot of fun for the owner who had it built along the way.....

Hello! Wish I had found this forum sooner!
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ner-22115.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
I have the only ProMaster Sportsmobile with a poptop ever made. I bought the van, waited 5 months for their tops to be manufactured, and then they installed the poptop. I did the rest of the buildout. It’s totally unique in that it’s the only Promaster Sportsmobile- still. They have yet to do another one because of the problems with mine....
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #3

Sounds to me like you should try to change out for a Transit if there is still time.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #4

If this will be your family wagon, consider that they don't offer a passenger version in the US because it won't pass current crash standards for passenger vehicles....
Old 08-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #5

I don't have any specific feedback about the Promaster platform, but you may want to check out longtime forum member accrete's Promaster build:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ects-5504.html

Also, I know that there are varying opinions for CCV on the forum, but just wanted to let Marz know for his research that they've done quite a few Promasters with their pop-top setup. At the very least you can check out the pics on their website to get an idea of possible Promaster layouts with a pop-top. As far as I know, the CCV Promasters and VocalVirgo's SMB are the only ones I've seen with any kind of pop-top.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #6

I'll be installing the Abilitrax Lock and Step seating for my passengers. They are crash tested and unfortunately very expensive.
Marz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #7

You mentioned NE weather. Are you considering TX or IN SMB locations? They source their tops separately from Fresno (some at least). Have you started a conversation with them? If so, you already have a contact to ask why your experience would be different than VocalVergo’s.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #8

I love mine. It's a Colorado Camper van on a Promaster 159" WB high top. Access to the top is in the rear above another bed to limit falls to two 3' falls, not one 6' fall.

/Users/john/Desktop/RoadCondo/PMCCV Top Up.jpg
JohnForde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #9

Promaster with CCV top
Attached Thumbnails
PMCCV Top Up.jpg  
JohnForde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeagent View Post

Also, I know that there are varying opinions for CCV on the forum, but just wanted to let Marz know for his research that they've done quite a few Promasters with their pop-top setup. At the very least you can check out the pics on their website to get an idea of possible Promaster layouts with a pop-top. As far as I know, the CCV Promasters and VocalVirgo's SMB are the only ones I've seen with any kind of pop-top.
I've been meaning to write a positive review of my recent experience with CCV (they added a pop-top to my Transit Cargo Van), but just haven't had the time. However, for what it's worth, they delivered exactly as promised and on time.

I have no affiliation or relationship with CCV, other than as a one-time customer for the pop-top.
JT87 is offline   Reply With Quote