Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #11

Re: Penthouse Bed - Fore or Aft?

I agree with you guys about needing a good solid surface to stand on to get up into the bed. Through dumb luck I have solid countertops that I can use with the bed in either fore or aft position. I suppose that I might occasionally want to put the bed to the back. If I do, I easily can.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #12

If the bed was forward I wouldn't be able to use the front window for a cheap window air conditioner, if that is important.
mpfreivald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #13

We have set up the bed towards the front and towards the rear. With our "30" layout, if our son is sleeping on the gaucho, then we usually set up the penthouse bed towards the front so we can get down using the rear counter. If no one is sleeping on the gaucho, then we just do whatever. Most of the time, it depends on if I took the time to level out the van properly (which I really don't know how anyways).
Old 08-15-2014, 01:14 AM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcdonald99
Hmmm. I didn't even realize that some SMB beds are two piece. Mine's one piece so I thought they all were.

Do you or does anybody know what drives the decision to go one piece vs two piece? That is, do they say, "This is an RB-50 so it gets a two piece bed" or is "one piece vs two piece" just an option that you need to know to ask for?
The small piece on the EB-50 must be at the rear when the top is down (there is a cutout for the rear latch hook) but when the top is up it can be pushed up against the back PH wall vertically so when you are sleeping in the lower bed that short piece isn't hanging over your head. With the big section stowed to the ceiling you have a clear walkway. If bunking below I don't mind something over my head but it does make it feel inclosed.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote