Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #11

Re: Planning started on a Disabled Explorers SMB

The 4x4 shifter in my van is removable. Quigley cut and threaded my shifter at the rubber boot to allow the seat to turn. No problems with it at all.

j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #12

Something else you may want to consider is a trailer as a base camp.

Some manufacturers are Startracks, Adventure Trailers has a new accessible feature on the new model, and Sunliner Trailers.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #13

This is how I have my van setup. I pack in there all the stuff like chairs, camp stove, pots n pans, tools, sleeping bags, etc., underneath in the back.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #14

On the shifters, plenty of rockcrawlers have remote shifters for their t-case, putting them in an alternate location should be more a matter of where a good mount would be.

Even though you can't afford the drop floor, you should look into doing the 3" body lift now- I've heard that engine work can't be done on the SMBs by removing the body because of "all the connections SMB has through the floor". I'm not sure how true that is, but you don't want to not be able to drop the floor later because of something you're doing now.

Although, you probably can't have quite everything in one van anyway, so maybe the line comes before that even in the future (at which point you'll have to start DEV2!)
Old 08-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #15

If I were to build a van interior today, I would put all the systems, power, kitchen, fridge, sink, microwave, on the passenger side behind where the wheelchair lift is mounted. It makes sense because Ford puts the dual battery setup right there on the frame rail so no batteries inside. I would keep the depth of the cabinets back to the wheel wells until knee height to keep as much floor space as possible.

Then on the drivers side, I would have a fold-up bed, my size. I'm 6'6" long. Not a gaucho with a couch, but a bed that folds completely out of the way. Some storage underneath, even with the wheel wells, to preserve as much floor space as possible.

From the floor to knee height, turning radius is needed. Once you get above knee height, the cabinets, counters, etc, can come out much further. It's opposite to what is done now where everything is wider at the bottom leaving only a path.

A moderate fixed pop top will provide more area for built in storage and some head room while sitting.

It's a top down approach, rather than bottom up. That way I can keep the full 4x8 area open below 32" for great movement inside while in my wheelchair.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #16
Site Team

I think SMBw offers fold down beds that attach to the walls. I always thought those might make for an interesting layout.

Herb
Old 08-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #17

Holy Build Plan Batman...this thread is really getting full of great advice.

Thanks for the pic on the drivers side power/swivel base. I will copy that for Norcal Mobility.

I already plan to have unscrewable transfer case shifters but thanks for the comment for others sake.

The rough layout I sent SMB West has the gaucho on the drivers side and cabinets on the passenger. Thanks for the battery comment to justify it

I really like the comment on the cabinets being recessed lower towards the floor. That will make a real visual impact at rehab presentations, events and such.

While I understand the idea of a fold up bed vs a gaucho I will have to think on that some more. The rig is meant to be a general overview for anyone with a physical mobility issue..sure wheelchair uses are the most dramatic but lets not forget amputees, folks with MS, MD, strokes and just plain getting older. I think I want to have a variety of solutions. One reason to keep the gaucho would be storage under it...there will be extra gear to take for events and such, tables, popup awnings, chairs, brochures and more.

On the lift I am looking at a Rincon lift that folds so that non wheelchair users can still enter/exit through the side doors.

Alan at SMB West & I already spoke about max window size all around..gotta provide visibility for those who can't/won't leave the rig. That will mean less cabinet space so as not to block windows. For this reason and the need not to have to deal with opening a fridge door into a wheelchair or an amputee bending over I think we will go with a ARB style offroad fridge with top access.

Granted Sportsmobile is sponsoring their part of the build but I still have to cover the cost of the van, components and such...thus I will have to make choices along the way. But my hopes are to get some other component companies on board with the project since it will be shown at SEMA, Ability Expos, rehab/support groups and more. With all the young guys coming back from overseas going through driving rehab in soccer mom mini-vans this rig will show them that there are options out there and the backcountry is still accessible.

Any mod's to the side doors outside handles to make it easier to reach/open for those of you in a chair?

There is a thread on expeditionportal.com regarding a rear tire swing out/lift for someone who can't handle getting the tire on/off the swingout.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/s ... t=swingout

I am also looking for input on how many of you with physical mobility issues use your rig...

If you are in a chair do you prefer to cook inside or outside?

If you don't use a chair but have a bending/lifting issue cook inside or outside?

Showers? If you are in a chair do you transfer to a shower seat of some kind or navy shower with towels/baby wipes?

Dishwashing? Any issues, concerns, habits?

How are many of you dealing with trash if you aren't getting in & out of your rig frequently?

For those of you will a power chair, any special notes on using an inverter to recharge it? Trip Lite vs other? And speaking of power, solar panels & extra batteries since a dead rig is a huge deal to someone who can't walk out.

How about the side awning? I am thinking of using the body mounts for the side awning that secure the legs to the body instead of stakes & guy lines.
I have read the threads on the actual mounting of the awning to the vehicle, so I think I will have Aluminess install it on the roof rack.

I really can't say thanks enough to everyone for all the help with this build. The clock is ticking with only 11 weeks till SEMA but please keep the ideas coming.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisabledExplorers
How about the side awning? I am thinking of using the body mounts for the side awning that secure the legs to the body instead of stakes & guy lines.
I have read the threads on the actual mounting of the awning to the vehicle, so I think I will have Aluminess install it on the roof rack.
Great Idea! Unfortunately we could not mount ours on our rack due to extra weight when the Penthouse is being raised.

Regarding the Goucho. On our build plan, we thought of having storage under the couch, but they ended up placing the fresh water tank under the Goucho, so our storage is very minimal at best.

Dishwashing: we use paper towels to clean off our plates and rinse the rest.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #19

I don't have any problems clearing the 4x4 shifters with my Ricon power seat, as it will actually lift the seat high enough to clear them, or move back far enough to clear them. Either way, once the seat is lifted or moved back and turned the shifters are not an issue.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #20

Cool trailer, but I just use a toyhauler as it already has a ramp built in! Plus, I can carry my ATV in it to help get around in the backcountry. Once I set up camp and pull the ATV out, there's plenty of room in the toy hauler for maneuvering my wheelchair.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote