Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Potential purchase questions

I'm not saying the 6.0 is a great engine but our 06 and later fleet trucks did not have near the amount of issues my van did and we run them very hard. On the flip side just in our department we had 2 trucks out of six that had issues and all were 7.3's. That said, the first 6.0 that replaced the one 7.3 that had to be rebuilt had 3 turbo chargers fail in a year and a half. After that it went over 200K with no problems.
Seems like there is just too many factors for engine failure. I think when ran hard and daily, the 6.0 does OK and I think fuel additives do have a lot to do with all Fords diesel engines except ones using urea. There is some data out there about engines that sit for long periods of time. Perhaps CarrringB knows more on that. I just see what happens at work. I drive my van every other day or more. At work I'm driving a 6.4 PSD and have had major engine problems with the injectors until one of the shop guys gave me a bottle of fuel additive. Didn't even know my company supplied the stuff...no more troubles now. So the question is besides all the 6.0 owners that don't have problems, how many others with problems are running an additive? It's why polls don't work sometimes. Poor intel. Now would I suggest that the OP buy a vehicle with a 6.0? Maybe. It's not like he can't be towed out of a situation but if the van is going to sit for long times I wouldn't suggest it...get the V-10.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #12

daveb, what additive are you using in your 6.0?
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #13

Ford says it must be run up to temp once a month. Also short-cylce driving and extended idling are killers. Ford actually has TSBs for both issues. Ford says if you have to fire up the engine for even a minute, you have to get it up to full operating temp before shutting it off. And if you idle it extensively, you need to add a high-idle switch and flip that switch on for extended idling to avoid "wet-stacking".

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...tml/Q125R1.pdf

But to be honest, those aren't problems I've seen with customers. Generally its the oil cooler sequence of failures, or low fuel supply pressure taking out injectors. Occasionally have seen some other problems too like sensors, turbos, HPOP problems, and fuel rail leaks.

FWIW - once I had to change an alternator on an '03 E350 5.4L with 550,000 miles. And my radiator exploded at ~270k (luckily the V10 can run without coolant). Also heard of another E250 5.4L owner losing oil pressure just north of 1.4 million miles. Just throwing that out there to think about
Old 03-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #14

You did not say how many miles were on the rig you were considering. Two questions to ask would be, did the PO ever flush or change the coolant and did he/she monitor vitals (primarily EOT and ECT and what is the spread)?

Squeezing the 6.0 into a van was not ideal from a cooling standpoint and is one reason they are tuned for less HP. Many of the issues that folks have had with the 6.0 have stemmed from excessive heat (i., alternator, batteries, and FICM).
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratworst
daveb, what additive are you using in your 6.0?
I'm using the Ford product but I'm not sure what is the best. One thing I do know it doesn't mess with the Espar stuff. Until somebody shows me a formula that works better on both I'll stick with the Ford stuff.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #16

You've owned a truck so you know generally what to check out.

You didn't say how much; the price might make this a good deal or a disaster waiting to happen. SMBs are great vehicles but not for everyone. There are about a million kinds of RVs that'll get you up a normal dirt road, from 37' motor coaches to old VW vans.

Aside from the admittedly scary engine issues mentioned, test out each and every feature of the van. There are a lot, and it's hard to think of them so make a checklist. Nothing worse than finding out on a trip that the water pump doesn't work, or propane leaks, or whatever. Buying used RVs is in some ways the opposite of cars when it comes to use; the house features tend to either deteriorate with non-use or, more commonly, the owner doesn't keep them up because s/he isn't camping much anymore which is why they're selling the RV, etc. So they may not even realize the penthouse leaks, or house batteries won't charge, or whatever.

Rob
Old 03-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #17

Good point about the reason to sell and what to keep in mind when looking at one. The van has approximately 50K on the clock and is $55k. It havent seen it but have spoken to the owner multiple times. Sounds like it has been well cared for but I havent gotten too far into the mechanicals of the van. I will plan on going thru all the items in the van as best possible. I plan on taking it for a decent drive to get a sense on power, stopping and shifts. If I end up getting it, I would immediately go thru and replace all the fluids to be safe I think.

The big thing that scares me is more the 6.0L than anything else. Not much you can do other than have it looked at and then decide whether to take the plunge or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
You've owned a truck so you know generally what to check out.

You didn't say how much; the price might make this a good deal or a disaster waiting to happen. SMBs are great vehicles but not for everyone. There are about a million kinds of RVs that'll get you up a normal dirt road, from 37' motor coaches to old VW vans.

Aside from the admittedly scary engine issues mentioned, test out each and every feature of the van. There are a lot, and it's hard to think of them so make a checklist. Nothing worse than finding out on a trip that the water pump doesn't work, or propane leaks, or whatever. Buying used RVs is in some ways the opposite of cars when it comes to use; the house features tend to either deteriorate with non-use or, more commonly, the owner doesn't keep them up because s/he isn't camping much anymore which is why they're selling the RV, etc. So they may not even realize the penthouse leaks, or house batteries won't charge, or whatever.

Rob
supermoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #18

That's low mileage for a 6.0. What year is it? The early versions (ie., 2003 and 2004) are generally the ones with the most issues. Many of the issues stem from driving habits (excessive idling or shutting down before letting the turbo cool down after a long pull) or maintenance neglect)primarily the coolant and these engines tear the crap out of oil and require change at 5,000 mile intervals). You're going to need to do more research so that you understand the potential pitfalls of owning a 6.0L Power Stroke. You just might get 300,000 miles out of it. Or not.

This is a good thread for changes by model year. http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/s ... p?t=108476

A description of the oil cooler that is prone to clogging leading to EGR cooler rupture and blown head gaskets. http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/ ... -09-01.php

Solutions. http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/genera ... l-psd.html
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #19

Thanks. It certainly isn't a high mileage one that's for sure. The van is a 2006 year. Anything to look for in that year? It sounds like it has been well cared for, but having not seen it, I will hold that comment until i see it first hand. Hoping for the best really as it would really allow our family to all get out on overnight trips more than we currently do today.

Thanks for the links, I used to frequent the DieselStop and the DieselGarage when I had the 7.3L crew cab. Those are fantastic sites for learning about the truck/engines. I am pretty good about the cool down as I have another twin turbo car. I might just need to be a little more throttle conservative with the SMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
That's low mileage for a 6.0. What year is it? The early versions (ie., 2003 and 2004) are generally the ones with the most issues. Many of the issues stem from driving habits (excessive idling or shutting down before letting the turbo cool down after a long pull) or maintenance neglect)primarily the coolant and these engines tear the crap out of oil and require change at 5,000 mile intervals). You're going to need to do more research so that you understand the potential pitfalls of owning a 6.0L Power Stroke. You just might get 300,000 miles out of it. Or not.

This is a good thread for changes by model year. http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/s ... p?t=108476

A description of the oil cooler that is prone to clogging leading to EGR cooler rupture and blown head gaskets. http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/ ... -09-01.php

Solutions. http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/genera ... l-psd.html
supermoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

One of the problems with the 6.0 is not opening up the throttle on a regular basis. You want to make the turbo work through its whole motion. Vans that sit can have trouble with a sticky turbo.