Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #21

Re: Potential purchase questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoo
Thanks. It certainly isn't a high mileage one that's for sure. The van is a 2006 year. Anything to look for in that year?
Specific issues to the 2006 are described here: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0907 ... ewall.html

More info on problems and solutions. http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com ... blems.html

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Thanks you for the replies. The amount of work that Badger Trek owners have done to the van is pretty amazing especially given that their van was new and the cost factor. I hate to say it but right now I am not getting a great feeling about a purchase of a SMB.
I don't blame you. Don't think I would do the pop top if I planed on camping in the snow. Would much rather have a fixed top or no top at all. There are other builders out there. GTRV and Colorado camper van do pop tops. If like the fit and finish of some of the class B van manufacturers like airstream or coachman much better than SMB. If I had a 30K+ budget I'd take an airstream class b van with fixed top and convert to 4x4.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #23

The reality is that BadgerTrek is a distinct minority.

For example, my 2004 van has over 105,000 miles on it; it has had a few problems, but not too bad considering the abuse it has taken and where it has been:

Alaska - twice
Key West
Labrador
Newfoundland

I've gotten fuel in some out of the way places. The Yukon, Alaska and Labrador are about as remote as you can get in North America. And the roads may not be paved or as smooth as some are used to, but the 6.0 has always gotten me home.

I had to replace a turbo, and a couple of injectors failed. 2004's had some issues that were corrected in later vans. But a stock 6.0 in a van can be reliable. Keep good quality oil in it, change it regularly, use only OEM filters and change them per the factory schedule. Get a ScanGauge and monitor oil and coolant temps to detect a failing EGR or oil cooler before it is a big problem.

Other bad things you can do are:

- idle the engine. 6.0's don't take kindly to idling.
- Let it sit for long periods of time. Even when not traveling, I drive my van at least 20 miles once a month. Drive it long enough to get it fully warmed up, preferably on a highway, not around town.

Many, if not most, of the 6.0 problems are from pickup owners that have modified the ECU for more power. Vans have a lower HP rating than pickups and the engines have less stress.

A 6.0 PSD (or any current diesel) may need a user who pays more attention to it than a gas engine needs. I don't think it would be a good vehicle for my daughter, but I think it is a great vehicle for me and many others.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
The reality is that BadgerTrek is a distinct minority.
I've felt the need to also redo many things and question their build quality. It's like sausage and the law- don't look behind the cabinets if you don't want to know!

Considering my van wasn't even built for a customer but was built as a show van originally, it's extra disappointing.

The thing to remember is that despite all the problems and headaches I wouldn't trade one memory or trip, and as rage-inducing as an unfinished wall or frozen pipes are in the net equation of what the SMB does for us it all seems somewhat minor- in scale perspective. I think that's why Sportsmobile "gets away with it" because I've had a fairly high amount of headaches and gripes myself, and yet, in the end I'd double the pain halve the quality and still do it the same way. Would I like them to be better? You bet. I wish they had some stiff competition in the market, I truly do. But as bad as they are they, GTRV, and a few small builders are the only way to get this experience- and the experience has been worth it.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #25

There is more competition.

SMB Indiana, SMB California and SMB Texas are independent businesses. And they compete with each other. You can get the same van built from any of the three plants. I worked with California and Indiana before I decided on Indiana.

I've had nothing bad to say about SMB Indiana, or the build quality, and haven't really heard issues from there.

And I haven't heard bad things about Texas but I have no experience with them either

The complaints seem to come from the California built vans. Maybe there are more complaints because they build more vans. Maybe not.

I don't know what has caused the issues some have had with their vans, but I'm glad I had my van built 2500 miles away.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage

That's loyalty Mike!

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #27

I dont see the family using it for camping in the winter, but that wont stop me from doing so. We will get the most use out of it in the summer for MTB and climbing trips. Winter use will likely limited to using it as a base for the days skiing before heading home.

But heading home means, starting. What fuel additive should I use if I am going to be in the mountains of Colorado where it gets cold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Quote:
Thanks you for the replies. The amount of work that Badger Trek owners have done to the van is pretty amazing especially given that their van was new and the cost factor. I hate to say it but right now I am not getting a great feeling about a purchase of a SMB.
I don't blame you. Don't think I would do the pop top if I planed on camping in the snow. Would much rather have a fixed top or no top at all. There are other builders out there. GTRV and Colorado camper van do pop tops. If like the fit and finish of some of the class B van manufacturers like airstream or coachman much better than SMB. If I had a 30K+ budget I'd take an airstream class b van with fixed top and convert to 4x4.
supermoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #28

Quote:
I dont see the family using it for camping in the winter, but that wont stop me from doing so. We will get the most use out of it in the summer for MTB and climbing trips. Winter use will likely limited to using it as a base for the days skiing before heading home.

But heading home means, starting. What fuel additive should I use if I am going to be in the mountains of Colorado where it gets cold?
You're putting the cart before the horse Don't you need to decide to buy it first? There's quite a few fuel additive threads in this forum at your fingertips with the search function.

Diesel Kleen is available at all autoparts stores and there's a winter version with anti-gelling properties. I've used that and Opti-lube. http://opti-lube.com/
I've also been experimenting with this: http://www.archoilspokane.com/product-information.html

Speaking of winter use I'm about to drive mine with the family to Durango for a weekend of ski racing at Purgatory.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #29

A healthy glowplug system is way more important than additive. I use the Opti-Lube winter in my SMB, tractor and bobcat. The only place I think it really makes a difference is the cat because it doesn't have a glowplug working yet. The F250 got it sporadically, and also had periodic glowplug relay failure- not that they're related, but I didn't see enough of a difference to be consistent with the additive. I've barely touched the summer additive, but I'm about to buy another gallon of the winter.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #30
Site Team

Garage

Doesn't Opti-lube contain other agents that help performance other than anti-gelling such as cetane boost and parts lub?

I used the Ford product because of my warranty. I've been wondering if the Ford Cetane booster has anti-gelling properties.

I'm reluctant to switch additives because Espar said that they do not recommend running additives through their systems. But because I went out on a limb to use the Ford booster, after long time use I've found that it seemed to actually help (or at least not hurt) the Espar units. Not one Espar startup failure since I began using the additive. I'm a bit worried that something different might pose problems for the heaters.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote