Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #31

Re: Potential purchase questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Doesn't Opti-lube contain other agents that help performance other than anti-gelling such as cetane boost and parts lub?
I believe it does. After all, that's the "Summer Blend" (ie. no anti-gel). Also, if the Ford additive is working well for you, why switch?

Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #32
Site Team

Garage

I don't plan to but I haven't been able to find a good review (last time I looked) on additives. All I know since using the Ford Stuff I haven't had an injector, turbo, or EGR issue and my Espar has worked great. But I do venture into Cold areas from time to time and want to make sure I don't get gelling. Besides I know some who are mixing different additives and feel some there are some that are better lubricants than others. Price is another factor.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #33

Anyone have experience with Pri-D or Pri-G?
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #34

Lots of info on additives in this thread:
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/s ... hp?t=33520
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #35

Definitely cart before the horse but I am convincing myself more and more before I get to see the van this weekend. I missed out on another one by an afternoon due to work conflicts and was really bummed out about it. I dont plan on it happening this time So 'positive thinking' is in full effect at this point. Not to mention all the great photos that are on this site of you guys getting out and staying out in the SMB's!

So I am hoping to have an OASIS report run on the van tomorrow to see what the van has been into the dealership for just to add more to my piece of mind.

Our use of the van will again, be primarily in the summer/fall months but I would like to get out there in the winter for ski trips and with a little ESPAR heater, it should be more than possible. But I still want to know I can get up in the AM and start the van. I remember this with the old 7.3L and that had a plug-in. Is this something you guys run on your vans, in addition to the fuel additives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoo
I dont see the family using it for camping in the winter, but that wont stop me from doing so. We will get the most use out of it in the summer for MTB and climbing trips. Winter use will likely limited to using it as a base for the days skiing before heading home.

But heading home means, starting. What fuel additive should I use if I am going to be in the mountains of Colorado where it gets cold?
You're putting the cart before the horse Don't you need to decide to buy it first? There's quite a few fuel additive threads in this forum at your fingertips with the search function.

Diesel Kleen is available at all autoparts stores and there's a winter version with anti-gelling properties. I've used that and Opti-lube. http://opti-lube.com/
I've also been experimenting with this: http://www.archoilspokane.com/product-information.html

Speaking of winter use I'm about to drive mine with the family to Durango for a weekend of ski racing at Purgatory.
supermoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #36

JUST DO IT. Unless you live in the polar regions you will be able to start a 6.0. Put a 5w-40 synthetic in it.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #37

+1 on JoeH's comment. I have a 6.0L and live in Jackson, Wyoming. My van is a daily driver, and I plug in the block heater most winter nights and always have anti-gelling fuel additive in the tank.

After a really cold night (below zero) I will run my Webasto Hydronic coolant heater to help warm the engine but mainly so I can start blowing warm air quicker.

Don't stress. Your engine will start in colder weather - use additive, use a block or coolant heater if possible, and keep your batteries charged.