Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #21

Re: Propane vs Diesel Furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotearms
I am trying to figure out how to specify to SMB a quick release tap before the pressure regulator so BBQ'ing outside on a propane grill will also be possible. Has anyone done something like that?
I think SMB has something called "extenda flow" made for BBQ's and what not. Don't know how well it works....there is a few posts on the site about it.
Daveb, Oh! Thanks! I did not find a mention of it on the links but good 'ol Google came through again. "Extenda Flow/Stay Deluxe" is listed as an Exterior Option on the 2010 Fresno price list. I had seen that and did not know what it was. It is very simple! Extenda Flow is just a tee:
http://www.simplypropane.com/store.htm
I understand that the prices include installation, but why is this particular option listed for $129? Maybe it has to do with what "Stay Deluxe" means. I'll have to give them a call. So many details to learn about and decide! Thanks again!

Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTex
No one ever talks about Precision Temp when these heat/water threads open up. Any reason why? PT is a "AquaHot" like all-in-one thing that uses propane instead of diesel. Supposed to be about the size of a normal forced air RV propane heater. Never seen one; but they are apparently out there in coach RV's. With it's alternative 110v heating element and its tankless hot water capability, I'm surprised no one's ever discussed it.
http://www.precisiontemp.com/pt_rvmd_main.html
JC
I have an AquaHot in my big RV, it works great, but the unit is huge. I love my diesel fired hot water system in the SMB. It works great.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
I am trying to figure out how to specify to SMB a quick release tap before the pressure regulator so BBQ'ing outside on a propane grill will also be possible. Has anyone done something like that?
I think SMB has something called "extenda flow" made for BBQ's and what not. Don't know how well it works....there is a few posts on the site about it.
Daveb, Oh! Thanks! I did not find a mention of it on the links but good 'ol Google came through again. "Extenda Flow/Stay Deluxe" is listed as an Exterior Option on the 2010 Fresno price list. I had seen that and did not know what it was. It is very simple! Extenda Flow is just a tee:
http://www.simplypropane.com/store.htm
I understand that the prices include installation, but why is this particular option listed for $129? Maybe it has to do with what "Stay Deluxe" means. I'll have to give them a call. So many details to learn about and decide! Thanks again!

I have a 10 gallon propane tank on my SMB for cooking purposes only. Works great and is very handy not to have to carry small fuel tanks for grilling with the BBQ or for the stove.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey
Quote:
Mike, What layout do you have and where do you plan to install the Propex heater?
I built my own interior (actually, rebuilding it this week). I've left a space for it in front of the driver's side wheel well. Sorry, not very helpful!

Cheers,
Mike.
Mike, I did some search on the web for the Webasto Dual Top and found:
http://www.webasto-outdoors.com/downloa ... heets.html
This unit is pretty big at 20.9"x13.8"x9.9", but it is apparently designed to mount OUTSIDE, UNDER a van, so talk about space savings!!! Unfortunately, that leaves the question about the water in the boiler tank freezing. It can also be mounted inside, but then we are talking a lot of space in part because of the 11 liter = 2.9 gal water tank.

Also, relative to the SMB propane heater (12,000 BTU/hr) and the diesel Espar Airtronics D4 (up to 13, 650 BTU/hr on boost mode and 10,200 BTU/hr on high) I wonder if the Dual Top is over sized for an E350 at a rating of 9,000 to 21,000 BTU/hr, i.e. its lowest setting corresponds to the highest settings of the SMB recommended heaters. Fuel and electrical power consumption seems on par with the Espar units, so that seems fine.

I would be curious how this turns out. But unfortunately, I will probably be making my decisions in the next few days and I would be hesitant to put it in. BTW, where did you purchase it---the above website doesn't even mention the U.S. in its list of distributors and repair places.

Another idea, which could end up a compact install would be the Webasto TSL-17, a water based furnace and hot water system at only L 9” x W 4” x H 6 2/5”, which is smaller than the Espar Airtronics D4 (14.6" x 5.5" x 5.9"). If you look at the attachment, this guy along with the SMB 110v water heater (Insinkerator W123?) could be awesome. It, however, could be a real problem if not left on during freezing weather since draining could be difficult.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Webasto water heater and furnace tsl17.pdf (749.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #25

SMB will install the T for an outside BBQ. They did for me.
The Propex is small and I had mine installed on the floor-inside a cabinet with a shelf just above it. RD
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #26

Hi RD,

Did you have the tee and Propex installed in Austin or Fresno? I am having a conversion done from scratch in Indiana, and they indicated Fresno has only done one Propex, and they did not want to install another, but I don't know why. Indiana only installs things that are RVIA approved (Fresno apparently follows some other RV standard, CA?), so Indiana needs to determine if the Propex is approved. So how do you like the Propex---noise level, any experience in really cold weather?

Also when you refer to the tee, are you describing what is listed on the 2010 CA price list under Exterior Options as an "Extenda Flow/Stay Deluxe" $129? I have determined that Extenda Flow apparently refers to just the tee, but I have no idea what "Stay Deluxe" means. Could you describe what you have or post a picture of the entire arrangement that I image is something between the propane tank and pressure regulator. I have to dig a little more since Indiana doesn't do everything the same and they don't offer that as an option. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Mike, I did some search on the web for the Webasto Dual Top and found:
http://www.webasto-outdoors.com/downloa ... heets.html
This unit is pretty big at 20.9"x13.8"x9.9", but it is apparently designed to mount OUTSIDE, UNDER a van, so talk about space savings!!! Unfortunately, that leaves the question about the water in the boiler tank freezing. It can also be mounted inside, but then we are talking a lot of space in part because of the 11 liter = 2.9 gal water tank.

Also, relative to the SMB propane heater (12,000 BTU/hr) and the diesel Espar Airtronics D4 (up to 13, 650 BTU/hr on boost mode and 10,200 BTU/hr on high) I wonder if the Dual Top is over sized for an E350 at a rating of 9,000 to 21,000 BTU/hr, i.e. its lowest setting corresponds to the highest settings of the SMB recommended heaters. Fuel and electrical power consumption seems on par with the Espar units, so that seems fine.

I would be curious how this turns out. But unfortunately, I will probably be making my decisions in the next few days and I would be hesitant to put it in. BTW, where did you purchase it---the above website doesn't even mention the U.S. in its list of distributors and repair places.

Another idea, which could end up a compact install would be the Webasto TSL-17, a water based furnace and hot water system at only L 9” x W 4” x H 6 2/5”, which is smaller than the Espar Airtronics D4 (14.6" x 5.5" x 5.9"). If you look at the attachment, this guy along with the SMB 110v water heater (Insinkerator W123?) could be awesome. It, however, could be a real problem if not left on during freezing weather since draining could be difficult.
Thanks for finding the dimensions, yes it is big but you have all in one unit.

Regarding the freezing, the unit can be drained from the control unit (turn the switch) or you can set in anti freeze mode and it will keep the water warm.
I got mine from XP camper in California, I contacted Webasto USA and they gave me his link and said SMB can also have it...

I went that way for the ease of one appliance and have seen one in use on a friends truck in Switzerland. Just great.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #28

My installation was done in Fresno. I just took delivery so they want to know how it does in cold weather and high altitude which I spend some time in. I'd say it's quieter than suburban heaters I've had in motor homes and about the same to slightly louder than the furnaces I've hear at SMB in diesal vans. (mines a V10). I have experience in motor homes and heat 1) When plugged in prefer a ceramic heater( from West Marine) 2nd) The propex 3rd) The smallest Olympic catalytic.
As fo the BBQ T they just put it ahead of the regulator near your propane tank and therefore get high pressure. The gas line for the catalytic quick connect is after the regulator (therefore low pressure).
I don't know how they designate these things on the order form. I havn't used it but I think the extend-a-stay is to hook in a outside extra propane tank for long stays camping.( Just adds extra propane capacity). I have a capped off T for the extnd-a-stay and a actua line ran to the other side for the BBQ. (So basicaly two T's) RD
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowgars
As fo the BBQ T they just put it ahead of the regulator near your propane tank and therefore get high pressure. The gas line for the catalytic quick connect is after the regulator (therefore low pressure).
I think the extend-a-stay is to hook in a outside extra propane tank for long stays camping.( Just adds extra propane capacity). I have a capped off T for the extnd-a-stay and a actua line ran to the other side for the BBQ. (So basicaly two T's) RD
This is all extremely helpful. Now I understand what the "Stay Deluxe" is. Now for the low pressure line, am I to understand they tee'ed off to a quick disconnect INSIDE the van in order to use the catalytic INSIDE? Where? And regarding the high pressure line, is that the one that was run to the passenger side of the van for the BBQ? Is it a capped off end to which you connect a BBQ hose just as you would to a standard large propane tank, or a quick disconnect? How is it mounted, sticking straight down, hidden under the side or what? I hate to ask , but pictures of the main tank outlet and how the high pressure line comes out on the passenger side would be really great so I could get the same thing done in Indiana if they need more help!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowgars
I have experience in motor homes and heat 1) When plugged in prefer a ceramic heater( from West Marine) 2nd) The propex 3rd) The smallest Olympic catalytic.
Do you use the catalytic as a backup system or is the Propex not enough on the coldest days?