Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #1

SMB Indiana visit

Hi, I'm new and don't have a smb yet. However, I finally had a chance to see a few up-close-and-personal on August 5th. I've been drooling over the ones on the site for a couple of years but hadn't been in one. Sorry I didn't take any pictures, but I wouldn't have known how to load them anyway. I'm so jealous of whoever is getting the silver 4x4 ... it's really nice and exactly the color I want. They were just starting on the flooring when I was there so it could have become mine so easily if I had the money and you changed your mind. I also saw a couple of nice sprinters. One with a custom queen bed built in, and another with a full bath and "special" kitchen counters. Nancy in the office at SMB Indiana, and all the guys that were working on them that day were very nice and helpful. This factory isn't as large as the others seem to be but is on my way when visiting family so will be the most convenient for me since they're all over 15 hours away. I plan on going to a Life on Wheels conference before I order mine so I'll understand enough about the systems (and hopefully how to use them) to know what I want or don't want ... so far no propane and a pett portable toilet. Nancy told me about the new air conditioner that replaced the starcool and tried to explain solar panels & battery charging to me, but I REALLY need to take classes on this stuff. I appreciate all the information on this site and will try to tour Quigley 4x4 and spend more time at SMB Indiana next summer when I drive out again. For all of you lucky people who already have yours ... enjoy !!!

Old 09-03-2008, 05:36 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV
Hi and welcome! I just picked up my own SMB EB 50 with a Quigley 4x4 from Huntington this past July. You are right that they are all a nice helpful bunch. It's a smaller shop but it was also the most convenient for us. Plus, you gotta figure there wouldn't be a Sportsmobile West and a Sportsmobile Texas if the folks at Sportsmobile Indiana hadn't built up such a great reputation in the first place. But there are already threads on here about the perceived advantages of each location.

I can say that at almost 2 months since pick-up we are loving our SMB and all systems are running well. Including the new Danhard a/c which has worked great. Good luck & have fun with your research.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #3

Re: SMB Indiana visit

We had SMB Indy make some minor changes on our new van last week. They have treated us quite well and performed the work very quickly. If you are ever there and need to wait for a couple hours, directly across the street and 100' to the north, there is a very interesting museum. The Huntinington County Museum. It has a very nice collection of Indian artifacts, arrowheads, chisels, stone axes, and other items. It also has quite a bit of railroad stuff and canal information. We had been to the factory many times and never noticed it before.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #4

Interesting we will be in Huntington next week so will check it out.

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #5

I wouldn't sweat the confusion. I still don't completely understand all the systems in my van. I recommend a video camera when you pick up, new or used, so you can review all the "and then when... turn that ... unless..."

It seems confusing but it is easier once you have one. Once it's your water valve and your solar panels it should make more sense. Not to mention you should be fully topped off (water, power, etc) when you buy, so you have at least 3 days before you need to plug in, top off, or worry about anything but living in it.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Pax

I'll be visiting the factory the first week in July, can't wait to see the place and start getting to know more about my future purchase!
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV

By the way, if you end up kicking around Huntington looking for something to do it is worth noting that the only museum dedicated entirely to a Vice President is there. The Dan Quayle Museum, if you are Republican, it might be interesting. If you are a Democrat, as we are, it is FASCINATING. :-)
Old 06-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikewTV
By the way, if you end up kicking around Huntington looking for something to do it is worth noting that the only museum dedicated entirely to a Vice President is there. The Dan Quayle Museum, if you are Republican, it might be interesting. If you are a Democrat, as we are, it is FASCINATING. :-)
Thanks for the tip! I'm pretty sure it would be FASCINATING for me as well.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #9

Hi, I haven't posted here for awhile but have been reading the forums and appreciate everyone's replies, comments, and support. Since my last post I've had very sad news and very happy news.

The sad news, as some of you may already know, the man who organized and ran the Life on Wheels Conferences died this past fall (2008). Unfortunately, I never had a chance to meet him or his wife ... my condolences to her if she happens to read this forum. He must have been really special to put in all that sweat and time to help RVers. I'll have to learn what I can, where I can, when I can so I may be posting questions here and will definitely continue reading the posts.

The happy news is I'm getting much closer to having a Sportsmobile RV. I now have a 2008 Silver Ford RB 350 Diesel Quigley 4x4 Sportsmobile Van. I was on the site salivating over new ones when I decided to check out the vans available for conversion. Suddenly I saw just what I was looking for! It was at Sportsmobile West so I got on the phone to see if there was any chance I could get it. It was too expensive for me to have much done (got nerf boards, tire carrier, and bug shield added), but Jeff, Kim, and I'm sure some more "behind the scenes" people coordinated with the people at Towne Ford so I could get a large piece of my dream. Cash back and great rates from Towne Ford applied to the van itself. Now I need to work hard, start saving for some of the conversions, and learn as much as I can about 4x4s and diesels.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #10

Anyone have a recent build at SMB Indiana? I'm looking at doing a 4x4 Ford SMB. I've noticed some east coast residents are customers of SMB california.

Don
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote