Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2018, 05:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavolpe79 View Post
When did you get yours done? My fear is the quality control may have tapered off in the last few years (since the e-series is no longer built).
I have my stripped SMB that was done in 04, looks the same and more. As mikracer mentioned, you never see any of that when its all covered but certainly is still a reflection on the technicians care during the build.

gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #22

Quote:
You guys are making me want to install the top myself! Ha!
Used penthouse tops aren't easy to find, but they do pop up occasionally. If you aren't in a rush and have some basic experience with power tools you could do it. Probably save yourself around $7k. Based on the pics and stories, the craftsmanship might even be better than what you would get at SMBW!
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #23

Quote:
When did you get yours done? My fear is the quality control may have tapered off in the last few years (since the e-series is no longer built).

February of 2017.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #24

Penthouse top

Hiya,

I've had an SMB Ford 250 since 2013. We used electric as the top on the extended van is too heavy for a older guy.

It has been reliable, no problems. No leaks, no mechanicals. We can camp down to 40 degrees with a small space heater. The canvas is fit for a general's tent. Below 50, we need line current, though.

I also want to point out the value of having a "stealth" RV. I can park in many places, needing only 86" clearance.

But even more, I was able to keep the SMB at my curb in a town with RV restrictions, and the neighbors were ok with it too. That allows me to use it as a second car and keep it happy.

Cheers,
David in Roanoke
dsdaviser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #25

Had a Penthouse installed in August @ SMBW on my 2013 e350. Sure there were a few signs of carelessness but only a couple very minor items. In general we are happy with the product and the work. Had it out for two weeks in Wyoming last month and all work out well. Being able to stand up is a real pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
42704332_10217159421477294_5690189135797551104_o.jpg  
gmeyer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #26

I'm about to get a Transit 250 low roof that I intend to add a pop-top and week-ender folding bed. Is there any reason to believe adding a SMBW pop-top to my Transit will be different than what has been reported on this thread?
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
I'm about to get a Transit 250 low roof that I intend to add a pop-top and week-ender folding bed. Is there any reason to believe adding a SMBW pop-top to my Transit will be different than what has been reported on this thread?
I don’t anticipate the comments on “craftsmanship” would be any differen; i.e. sloppy cuts, etc. However, I just saw the Sportsmobile units at the Pomona RV show and they are very impressive. Seriously, the highest quality at the show, hands down. Also, the transit top is made from a different mold, so you won’t have the issue with a damaged e-series mold. Lastly, it sounds like SMB is building out a ton of transits right now because of the backup from Mercedes (right now almost a year behind in shipping). That probably bodes well for your install since the crews are working on them now. They were getting ready to order 5 Quigley Transits tomorrow to build out. Good luck!
lavolpe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #28

I enjoyed my 2004 SMB very much but by the time I sold it I had re done so many things on it due to poor craftsmanship and materials. Screws that went into nothing, basically no insulation, plumbing routed through exterior walls that always froze, MDF cabinets that fell apart and a penthouse top that had to be rebuilt. I fixed it all and learned a lot in the process. One of them being that they charge a lot of money for the quality of work they do/did on interiors.
I have since built my own.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:24 AM   #29
Gone Traveling

Sorry, but you know this is not going to be a SMBW friendly comment. I did not do my homework on this forum before I had my 2017 brand new promaster pop top on by them. Had I realized this forum was here full of information, never, and I mean never would have had SMBW do my top. Besides having nothing but nightmares because of bad workmanship, I’ve also been treated like an unbelievable crap. I’ve been lied to, screamrd at, called “the worst customer they’ve ever had“, and have experienced some gay shaming/straight up homophobia from some of their staff. No joke.

And I know I’m repeating myself from other threads, but my top is still under warranty- four years and one month left out of the five year warranty, and they will no longer fix my van. We had to do everything ourselves, the right way, to get it ready to sell because I refuse to sell this to someone else without everything in perfect working order and looking like it should We did this because yhey just simply said fixing it to make it right would take too long, and they weren’t willing to put that much time into it ( unless I gave them $3000). Seriously. That’s what you could potentially be dealing with if you go to them and then have problems . Most people who have experience with North or Texas would tell you to go there. I live three hours from Fresno, but if something were to go wrong, I would drive my van to Texas to be repaired. That’s how bad they are at SMBW. God forbid you should pick up your van and there is a problem, or let’s be honest, several problems, their patients for customers who have several more serious problems is very very short. This is a fact. Honestly, make a family trip out of it and go to one of the other locations. I’ve spoken to the people at Texas and they were in total shock when they found out about my story, and about the way that I was treated. They straight up told me they would honor my warranty over at their location if I was willing to bring it to them, which I totally would.

There is nothing wrong with my top now. We fixed everything ourselves, because SMBW wouldn’t do the repairs. Again, under warranty. But if anything where to go sideways, I would make a road trip out of heading over to Texas, to avoid Fresno. I suggest you do the same at all costs. Please, take it from somebody who just got done fighting with them for a whole year, you don’t want Fresno to do it. I don’t want you to look back if you should ever have problems and wish that you had taken our advice and just gone to a different location, either North or Texas.

It’s extremely frustrating when stuff breaks. But the frustration skyrockets when the people who did the work fix it, even under warranty. You don’t want that. You don’t need them.

Me and my very handy family members fixed it all up so that it is in perfect working order and is just perfect. So that we can sell it. So that we can sell it so that we never have to deal with SMBW ever again. We just want them away from us. And we are willing to lose about $25,000 to do so. Seriously. Somebody is going to get this 2017 promaster with 26,000 miles on it, a full buildout, full solar, full shore power, Sportsmobile electric penthouse top, and an absolutely beautiful billed for $45,000. The van itself is still under warranty and the penthouse top five year warranty has been granted transfer ability to the second owner. I had to fight hard for that. I did not want the second owner to God for bid I have any new problem pop up and have no warranty. With that said, I’m sure the new owners would be treated better, as long as they’re not a gay couple. I say that with disappointment because this is 2018 and this should not be happening. But I hope somebody who really wants one of these buys my van. They’ll save a ton of money and I hope it brings them many many years of happiness.

Seriously, don’t use SMBW.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:30 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
You guys are making me want to install the top myself! Ha!
Seriously, buy a diy kit from ccv and call it a day. Me and 3 friends installed just the top in 4 hours, The canvas took a little longer, but if I had been ready to install the canvas that day I’m sure a pizza and some beer would have got it completed that day. This was in a cargo van so prep was more minimal then a passenger van, but in the end we are very happy with our van.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote