Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #11

You also asked about rear ac ... The factory unit will have to come off (unless CCV has found compact & ultra flexible freon lines).

I need to the van to run A/C off batteries for extended periods...so an engine driven compressor was not in the cards.

We opted to install a Kalori DC (7-12kbtu) adjustable unit...it does an excellent job at maintaining temps on hot days. But if the van is already 110 inside, it will take a long while for it to cool the can down (by itself). Running the front A/C in tandem for about 10-15 will cool down the interior to acceptable temps...

The rear factory A/C is engine driven and is a whopping ~ 30kBTU unit...and absolutely blows away any RV style aftermarket unit in performance.

I see you're in Phx - I lived in Tempe for over a decade and appreciate good A/C...we have a dark colored 144 van and dark tinted windows. The previous owner opted to install cheap tint (in addition to the factory tint) and didn't go for UV performance...and you can really tell. We also had CCV paint the poptop the factory color...while it looks great, I would have opted to have the very top painted white to reduce heat loading.

VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSoundman View Post
You also asked about rear ac ... The factory unit will have to come off (unless CCV has found compact & ultra flexible freon lines).

For both SMB and CCV tops, the factory rear AC vents just get relocated..nothing to do with refrigerant or the unit. It's pretty straightforward, and there are many places you could relocate the vents. In my DIY SMB top transplant, I built them into the driver's rear cabinet.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #13

Garage
me and 3 buddies installed our poptop from ccv. that actual top only took us 4 hours. canvas took me and another buddy a few hours to get the top dialed in and I did the bottom of the canvas myself. it all looks pretty good other than what I did by myself, lol. like a dumbass, I was in a hurry to get it wrapped up for a trip and didn't get one of the lines straight. other than the lower half on the one side, we are pretty happy with it.

and yes, we received zero documentation for the install, but it is VERY straightforward. top came to me all assembled and screwed to a pallet. we hooked up the hot/cold lead to a battery and raised the top on the skid. removed screws and closed assembly. put assembly on van and cut an intermediate hole about 3' wide and 8' long. made sure top was where we wanted it and traced the outside of the frame. cut that hole, dropped frame into hole and used hardware provided. since there was no interior to mess up, we stitched welded it to van. something Derek rarely does as not to mess up interiors. hooked up power and had a functional top. the canvas is where you need to really take your time to get right though
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
For both SMB and CCV tops, the factory rear AC vents just get relocated..nothing to do with refrigerant or the unit. It's pretty straightforward, and there are many places you could relocate the vents. In my DIY SMB top transplant, I built them into the driver's rear cabinet.
Oh shoot...sorry. thought that was about sprinter and not e350. Ignore what I said about lines.
VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:04 PM   #15

Is the roof cut out and reinforcing for the SMB top the same as the CCV? I would like to replace my SMB top with a CCV. I have had the SMB manual and electric. Not too keen on either of them but the electric is light years above the manual.

Joe
wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
Is the roof cut out and reinforcing for the SMB top the same as the CCV? I would like to replace my SMB top with a CCV.

Joe

No, the CCV top cutout is different/larger.....The bed is almost a foot wider so the roof cutout is wider. This is a good thing, as it's way easier to remove material than add it back.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
Is the roof cut out and reinforcing for the SMB top the same as the CCV? I would like to replace my SMB top with a CCV. I have had the SMB manual and electric. Not too keen on either of them but the electric is light years above the manual.

Joe
Roof cut out for CCV is larger. Frame is much more stout. So you can move to a CCV top from SMB.. I did. As did REF. And we’re both very happy about it.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
I work fork CCV and do all the installs for the tops, we keep the AC in the back and revent using the last 20” of your headliner. It works well and will keep the back of the van cool just as your factory set does now.
Our insulation & canvas are the best in the industry hands down. So you can stay warm or cool when the top is up depending on the season.
You have two top options either mid top or high top plus we can do a color match paint job. paint is done by me or Derek, usually me...
We have more head room than SMB and our electric top is designed better than the newer SMB top. (I just got to spend some time in a new Chevy SMB that we did the full interior build on. It’s fine but I don’t like the old school westy lift box.
Obviously my opinion is biased but I also wouldn’t work for CCV if I didn’t believe in our products. I approach each van as if it was mine as our whole tops team does the same.
Very nice to see an actual post from a CCV employee stating how he takes pride in his work and treats ones van as his own. Even if his statement was slightly inflated you have to consider these guys before anyone else because then you can bring up the statement which will help leverage any issue repairs. If I decide not to do my own and go with anyone else it will be CCV. The other is just to arrogant for my liking and I have heard here that is the attitude on their quality control! My opinion!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
me and 3 buddies installed our poptop from ccv. that actual top only took us 4 hours. canvas took me and another buddy a few hours to get the top dialed in and I did the bottom of the canvas myself. it all looks pretty good other than what I did by myself, lol. like a dumbass, I was in a hurry to get it wrapped up for a trip and didn't get one of the lines straight. other than the lower half on the one side, we are pretty happy with it.

and yes, we received zero documentation for the install, but it is VERY straightforward. top came to me all assembled and screwed to a pallet. we hooked up the hot/cold lead to a battery and raised the top on the skid. removed screws and closed assembly. put assembly on van and cut an intermediate hole about 3' wide and 8' long. made sure top was where we wanted it and traced the outside of the frame. cut that hole, dropped frame into hole and used hardware provided. since there was no interior to mess up, we stitched welded it to van. something Derek rarely does as not to mess up interiors. hooked up power and had a functional top. the canvas is where you need to really take your time to get right though
If I may? Total cost shipped and to where?
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #20

Garage
I would pm you what I paid, but it was so long ago it wouldn't be inline with what he charges today. prices for anything van related have skyrocketed. if I wouldn't have got what I got 5-6 years ago, I wouldn't be in the van game today.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccv, penthouse, pop, top