Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 10:34 PM   #1

SMB West wait times w/deposit

Hi -

So SMB West said they could build out my 2002 7.3 E350 XLT...

A $2g deposit and a 2 year wait time... Only reason why I am considering this is the extremely low miles on my van...

My question is:

What do you recall of projected wait time vs actual wait time?

Was it spot on?, less or more time? Maybe I should consider SMB Austin?...

StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #2

I'm only getting top, and it was 5-6 months wait. But they slotted me in and i am right on time. I am sure it's different with a full build.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaBallard View Post
Hi -

So SMB West said they could build out my 2002 7.3 E350 XLT...

A $2g deposit and a 2 year wait time... Only reason why I am considering this is the extremely low miles on my van...

My question is:

What do you recall of projectedwait time vs actual wait time?

Was it spot on?, less or more time? Maybe I should consider SMB Austin?...
The guy I bought my van from one year ago was working with SMB Austin on a new build. If I remember correctly, they said they could begin his build about eight months after finalizing the plans. But, that was a year ago...and don't quote me on that.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:42 AM   #4

I put my deposit down in mid-Dec. 2016 for a start date of Jan. 17, 2018. That's 13 months. Brian said one guy has had a deposit on a Classic for over 3 years and it isn't started. Production models 1 and 2 are now moving down the line.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:28 AM   #5

When comparing past Austin build times, keep in mind that they have spent the last two years building a new facility next door that will greatly expand their capability. I think they are done and moved in, but you will have to call and verify. My build was done in Austin (I took delivery in September of 2016) and when they first quoted the dates they did so thinking they would have the new facility available for use. Building permit issues kept that from happening and the dates slipped, the history is in my build thread. Suggest you call Paul in Austin to verify status and to get what I believe will be good dates to plan from.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #6

Garage
I wonder why SMB is so backlogged? Is the demand still that high? in '07 they were making them like donuts. Three lines of production in Fresno. I ordered a 4x4 with a lot of options and picked it up three months after the order was placed.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I wonder why SMB is so backlogged? Is the demand still that high? in '07 they were making them like donuts. Three lines of production in Fresno. I ordered a 4x4 with a lot of options and picked it up three months after the order was placed.
An educated guess - they are more set up for Sprinters & tooling up for Transits

StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #8

It takes a year at least for a Sprinter also. Indy is quoting a year also last time I asked them.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #9

Garage
I stopped by SMB Austin yesterday. Sprinters everywhere, punctuated by a few Transits, and the occasional E-350. They were working full-bore out of the old building. They are moved into the new building, and are doing some work from there, but it looks like they probably are not fully up and running over there just yet. Tons of vehicles on the property. They are definitely busy.

The folks at SMB Austin have been generous to me every time I have stopped in. I needed a couple of small parts yesterday; they handed them over the counter and wouldn't take my money. I had a question or two; Paul dropped what he was doing, and crawled around in a van with me for ten minutes and shared his wisdom. Really nice crew.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaBallard View Post
An educated guess - they are more set up for Sprinters & tooling up for Transits
They reserve a start time slot for you regardless of what the vehicle is. That was different for the Classic until they started, but now they just save the time slot. That's what I understood from Brian (Fresno) anyway.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote