Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
SMBW pics 1-24-08

Pics from Sportsmobile west 1-24-08.
I just got back from SMBF for a second repair to the front sway bar pin that sheared off (this time at Death Valley). No big deal as I’m close to Fresno. A poor weld caused it to shear off “again” but they got me back on the road quick and I headed to Yosemite for the weekend. I was amazed at the new vans and always eager to look at the new stuff. The 08 front and rear springs have been upgraded. The rear springs are beefed up and the front springs appeared to have a partial backup wrap like my 06 rear springs. I was told this will be an upgrade for my van if I want soon, but not priced as of yet. The new Fords seem to sit much higher, even with no mods to the vans. I really liked the brakes. They are a big step in the right direction. The Ford 550 brakes are huge. I wish I had these on my rig, plus they are a stock item. It does take larger rims to fit, which is another plus for sure. 08 buyers might need a step to get in the doors. At first I was not impressed with the new grill, but they are growing on me fast! The Aluminess bumper made a big difference. Although I prefer the older look, I think I might soon be converted. I posted the pics in my album. Weird not seeing John K. One of the pics is a shot of the SMB test van that will be for sale soon. The red vans are leaving the US for overseas, (forgot where), and there was a gob of them. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, maybe I will buy a good camera someday. If I get time I will add the pictures to this post.

Dave Boyer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #2

Dave,
Sorry to hear about your Sway Bar. I was in Death Valley with the group 2 weeks ago and Jayon's passenger side sway bar bolt sheared off too. His is a new 2007 with only a few thousand miles. It seemed to be a bad weld. Weird that yours was in Death Valley too.

also, thanks for posting all the photos from SMBw!

Steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:24 AM   #3

thank you for taking the time to post.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #4

There must be something in the air at Death Valley! I think the weld on the pin in the sway bar must ruin the temper, mine sheared off right near the head. I had a cordless grinder and removed the pin at the weld and put in a grade8 bolt to get me home. Needless to say i will always carry a grinder and a extra bolt when i go into the back country now!
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson
There must be something in the air at Death Valley! I think the weld on the pin in the sway bar must ruin the temper, mine sheared off right near the head. I had a cordless grinder and removed the pin at the weld and put in a grade8 bolt to get me home. Needless to say i will always carry a grinder and a extra bolt when i go into the back country now!
Jayson

How did that end up going with SMB Fresno, when you told them about the sway bar.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #6

They told me they would send one out. I think SMB said they were back ordered on them but some were comeing in this week. I wonder how many others have had this problem? 10K is alot of weight on the front suspension with a welded pin, the weld on the bottom bracket broke off as well but the pin stayed in one piece
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
I was told there were a few others with this problem but only a few. If the sway bar hole is wallowed out like mine was (this time), the pins need to be turned to fit. I have extra pins but it's better to leave it disconnected until the pin is welded in place. I can hardly tell its disconnected on pavement. (FYI I have drivin over 400 mi disconnected). I wonder how the new springs will affect this "small" pin. I have heard that some complain about the front end hitting the bump stops. I have yet to feel this and I can't see where it has. My van is over 11,000 LBS. The front springs were an upgrade at the purchase time but I don't know if SMB made changes back then. Can the temper be different from bar to bar? The last time the pin broke it sheared off (with a loud bang) flush with the sway bar in an off camber situation. This time it broke at the weld by the head of the pin type bolt, leaving a hole in the sway bar. I had the disconnects off during the entire trip to Death Valley. Vibratiion caused the wallowing, similar to a loose bolt and it came out on the hi-way returning home. This was probably due to over heat during the weld. I hope there is an upgrade to this. SMB said to leave one side connected, but I feel it's better to keep both disconnects off and keep the sway bar bunjied up like when you're off road.
Dave Boyer

Old 01-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Good pics..... AND you got us another pic of our van...sort of... The white can in View 32 next to the red van is OURS! We happen to have been sent a pic on 23 Jan that showed it in the same state and thus I noticed it.

...still waiting.....
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Greg was that the van with the plastic on the grill?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #10

Garage
What pics? where?