Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2007, 05:49 AM   #1

Sportsmobile West, Indiana or Texas? Which one?

if distance/time is not an issue, which one in order of preference?
West, Indiana or Texas?
Which one has the better customer service?
Which one has the better (more skilled) service technician/installer? To me having a nice and friendly front line staff is nice and all but if the staff behind the line is incompetent/slopping/careless, meaning the techinican/installer, it does not matter?
I know that there is only one way to build/construct lets say a SMB Floorplan RB 50 but because we're not talking about machined parts, the installer's skill/craftmanship is important when it comes to putting everything together.
Believe me, installing a lightbuld is easy enough, but I have come across situation where even this task got screwed up...
It is my understanding that West, Indiana and Texas are all owned and operated by a single entity? Is this not correct?
Or are the West Indiana and Texas SM each indivually owned and operated?
I raise this because I had been reading that SMB facility "A" would not take on project xyz but SMB facility "B" would take on project xyz?
So why the difference in policy?

Old 08-01-2007, 08:45 AM   #2

It is my understanding that the three facilities operate as independent companies with a 'common' product. And they all are a little different.

I wouldn't say any one was better than the others. Right now, I would say CA for SMB 4wd, Indiana for quick delivery, Texas for Sprinter.

But, they all have great customer service and I couldn't comment negatively about the workmanship at any site.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #3

Mike;
Agreed!
Although I've not personally been to SMB Fresno I'd expect to receive the same attention and professional service i've gotten at Austin and Huntington.
Might try Fresno in future for mods that the others might not do.
6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
:q6:
kenkillsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #4

Austin is the best for hotels. I saw drug dealing, pimping, and lots of homeless at ALL the hotels that were under $120. Got scammed out of a good wind proof lighter... You will be so happy to move into your new SMB after staying in Austin.

My impression of Indiana is not-very-flexible nor openminded, but that's coming from an already built want-modifications stand point.

The only other consideration is where do you really want to drive out of? Around Indiana and Austin it's pretty darn boring in all directions. Unless of course you're having delivery... if you're picking up Sales Tax might be another issue to consider.

I'll be visiting Fresno sometime to have my leaky roof addressed so I'll have some opinion about them in the future.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:22 AM   #5

Hotels/motels in Austin

Jage;
Why would a SMB owner stay in a motel or hotel.
We've overnighted at the Austin shop twice.
Of course we had our TT both times and stayed in it.
We were never bothered by anyone while there, worst problem: TRAFFIC!
Seems to me Your SMB is Your home away from home and should provide all You need while awaiting repairs.
As for security, well, we always keep the cell phone AND several little friends handy.
6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
:q6:
kenkillsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #6

We stayed overnight in Huntington when I picked up the van. We drove in from my dad's house, arrived late and stayed at a nice motel with SMB picking up the tab. Next morning we went down and went through the van and left before lunch.

We found them to be very willing to work with us when we designed our custom floorplan. They even came up with ways to make some things work - for instance, where I wanted to put the furnace was directly in front of the wheelwell and it wouldn't fit. They suggested raising it up 9" to clear the wheelwell and all is great. We had other issues with windows and Ford brackets that can't be modified or moved. They explained the issues and worked with us to come up with solutions.

We've been back for warranty work and found them very willing to help us. They've also been willing to make custom cushions to lower the seat height on the dinette/bed - at a reasonable price.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #7

Hotels in Austin

Wow Jage.... you must have picked some really bad areas in Austin to stay in a hotel/motel! I have lived here all my life and there are some place you just DON'T go, even during the daytime - and I guess you found them all. Next time you come down this way ~ if you ever decide to chance it let us know and we can steer you in the right direction.

This really is a great city with so much to see and do!

Cheers!

P.S. We just put down the deposit on our van and are designing/redesigning our SMB and will be picking yours and everyone else's brains!!! YIPEE
mckaytrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #8

Re: Hotels in Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckaytrek
Wow Jage.... you must have picked some really bad areas in Austin to stay in a hotel/motel!
Haven't you ever ready any of my posts? I've got all the luck!

I actually drove all over Austin stocking up on groceries and looking for gluten free food for my trip home. I was getting on the interstate for the last time from an access road with decently heavy traffic, both West-bound. I was in the 3rd of 4 lanes with the on-ramp directly in my lane just past the traffic light.

The light would change and traffic would move forward in all lanes. I noticed a tall blond fellow walking on the sidewalk. He seemed a bit strange- I would say homeless despite fairly new backpack, as it stood out from the rest of his attire.

Traffic was just outpacing him, but he started out closer to the intersection. The light would change, we would surge forward then stop, and he would continue walking.

Just as I stopped for the last time before the light, about 3-4 cars back, he seemed to be having an argument with someone in the first or second lane just forward of my position. I couldn't imagine anyone actually engaging this person in a confrontation, conversation or anything else. I tried to guess whether someone had had such a bad day they'd take it out on a random pedestrian. I also tried to figure out which car held the antagonist, or the target of his attention.

I was trying not to be blatantly nosy, it seemed like a situation I didn't want to get involved in, but which my rear-view between my eyes and the blond guy I tried to look at all the cars without turning my head.

The overwhelming impression I got is that somehow a car-length ahead and 3 lanes over, I was the focus off all his attention. Even so he wasn't actually looking at me, the van or the trailer. How very strange I thought. As the light prepared to change he started walking again. I was glad to think it was over, but as the light did change to green he started jogging to keep pace with traffic.

I kept my eye on him, still thinking somehow he was focused on me, or the van even with his back turned. He paced himself to beat me to the corner by a few cars, and the cut over the right turn lane to an island and turned to cross the lanes of traffic just in time to get in front of me. My thought was, "Jesus C., he is going to run out and throw himself under my van because he thinks I can't stop or something." He'd timed it perfectly too, but he stopped at the edge of the lanes still on the island sidewalk.

He looked right at me for the first time and as I covered the last car length to the intersection (and to being abreast of him), but instead of running out, he reached down and pulled an imaginary gun, pointed it right at my head- there was no doubt as he tracked me that he was aiming straight at my head- and pulled the trigger. At the same time he did a "blaow" sort of sound with his mouth (at least that's what it looked like).

I swear to you that he really thought he had a gun. There is no doubt that he had been marksman enough to track and kill me, even moving. It was no imaginary finger pointing episode, this guy really thought he was taking me out.

*That* was my final experience in Austin.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Well, you DO attract some interesting people. I guess I have avoided that guy - Whew!

Maybe if we get to meet at a forum rally or gathering somewhere we will be sure to bring some "weirdos" from Austin, JUST FOR YOU!!
mckaytrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
The motto IS ..."Keep Austin Wierd"

...but we are not ALL that way!

Hmmm....but how do I prove that???

Any SMBers passing through need to let us know so we can try and show the more predominant normal-er side of Austin.

Greg in Austin
SMB on Order
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote