Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #1

Sprinter Seats, Ford Van

Amazingly enough, after weeks of searching for seats that have 3-point seat belts integrated into the seat vice hanging off the sides of the van, LATCH in the majority of seating positions, and head rests at all seating positions we found some seats that have all of that - Sprinter bench seats.

Does anyone know if Sprinter bench seats (both three and four passenger benches) can be installed into the Ford cargo van? If not, do you know why? If so, has it been done?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Re: Sprinter Seats, Ford Van

Checked on it on our first build. SMB's answer was a big fat NO! Something to do with different engineering and mounts of some sort. I don't think they even want to touch it if there is a hint of legality issue regarding safety.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #3

That doesn't surprise me. That being said, I find it hard to believe that it can't be done (and safely). We're talking about mounting brackets to a different flat floor.

If it was possible to kick all of the lawyers off of the planet and look at it from a reasonable man (if he exists) approach, could the brackets be safely mounted to the floor of the Ford van? Is there anything special about the way they are mounted in the Sprinter that for some reason can't be reproduced in the Ford?

Ideas where I could go to get that answer besides SMB?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #4

The Sprinter rear seats are also very uncomfortable for an extended amount of time.

The "center isle package" you can get on E350 passenger vans has high back seats and integrated seatbelts.

The seats are actually installed by a "2nd stage" converter but I don't remember who. It's done by entering a ship-thru code when ordering a van. I think you can get leather with it too.

Actually, starting with a passenger van could save you a lot vs. a full interior conversion by SMB, and then you get factory rear heat and AC.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Actually, starting with a passenger van could save you a lot vs. a full interior conversion by SMB, and then you get factory rear heat and AC.
Yes. We tried to go that route. Unfortunately, finding a wagon with the Diesel proved to be the long pole in the tent. SMB claims it wasn't an option.

So, we grabbed a cargo van with the rear a/c and heat. On the upside, we really want to Dynamat the entire interior and add the extra insulation to make the Diesel more livable on a daily basis. In theory, that should be easier starting with the cargo van. Emphasis on should be.

We hadn't seen the center isle seats yet. Not sure if my wife will be ok without adding head rests. Also, not sure if they have LATCH. Definitely worth checking though. Thanks for the post.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
Unfortunately, finding a wagon with the Diesel proved to be the long pole in the tent. SMB claims it wasn't an option.
Until 2008 you can find them but no newer ones.
Due to the RSC (roll control stability) not available on a diesel...
Only other way arount is get a van with the window option.. but they are few on the market
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #7

Yea, we actually did find one used 2008 wagon with 10,000 miles. Unfortunately, it had the sliding door. By the time we figured out that Quadvan could handle the slider, it was sold. I never did get my eyes on it to confirm that it was a diesel, but the dealership insisted it was on the phone.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #8

Quadvan has a 08 wagon diesel for sale on their webpage... too late for you
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
We hadn't seen the center isle seats yet. Not sure if my wife will be ok without adding head rests. Also, not sure if they have LATCH. Definitely worth checking though. Thanks for the post.
I don't think they have the LATCH system built in. COuld be wrong though. But I do think they are center tether compatible.

BTW - 3-point seatbelts are often not recommended to be used with the LATCH system at the same time.

WIth high back seats, the seat height provides the whiplash protection, so head restraints aren't really needed.

My seats are high-back captains chairs which all recline (very nice for long drives). But they don't have integrated seatbelts so only the outboard seats are 3-point.

They are made by CVC and More in So Cal. I bet they would build them with LATCH if requested.
http://cvcandmore.com/index.html Since mine is a 2000, they have made some changes since then, including making them all quick release (wish mine were).
Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #10

I also wanted seats like this installed but safety and legal concerns definately put a stop to it. Imagine 3 people (and maybe 500 lbs) strapped into a row of seats and a head on colision. If an after market bracket failed, everyone goes flying. Not a situation to put your kids or friends into.
That being said maybe these guys might be able to do it right.
http://www.relaxedcustoms.com/Sprinter%20Seating.htm
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote